PDA

View Full Version : Diboll looking for a new head football coach

mistanice
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Head Coach Gary Martel was named the lone finalist for Diboll schools superintendent after a special school board meeting Monday night. After a required by-law 21 day waiting period, Martel will take over the position.

"I'm ecstatic and excited," Martel said of the new job. "This is an area" -- of his career - "I wanted to be in one day. I just didn't think it would happen this fast."

Board President Trey Wilkerson said Martel possesses to strengths the board valued highly, good communications skills and familiarity with the district, plus "he's shown leadership in previous positions," Wilkerson said.

Martel is more than just a coach, said the board president. "He's served as an administrator. He was a good teacher in this district" before departing for Anahuac for six years. Martel returned to Diboll in 2006.

The vote to hire Martel was 5-0 with two abstentions, Wilkerson said. Andrea Swor and Ronnie Coleman felt they had too many potential conflicts of interest to vote.

"I came back here because I love it," Martel said of Diboll. He and his wife love being in the community, he said.

Jacob Sherman will continue as interim superintendent until the waiting period is over, Wilkerson said. The board had the option of naming Martel as interim but decided keeping Sherman would provide time for Martel to prepare.

Martel said looking for a replacement for himself as coach and athletic director will be "one of the first things on the agenda" when he takes over. "I think a number of people who are highly qualified" are interested in the post. He said he probably will open up the position to applicants and evaluate at that point.

"We're going to move forward and get some stability," Martel said. "That's what we want."

Former Superintendent Brent Hawkins had made curriculum reform a major emphasis. Martel said he was involved in that and believes Diboll now has a great curriculum "and we've got great vehicles for delivering it - our teachers."

"What's important right now is to stay the course," he said, with no immediate shake-up but a thorough evaluation of all aspects of the districts.

The number one thing, he said, "there's 2,000 people looking for some leadership, 1,800 students and 200 employees."

He thanked the school board, calling the seven members dedicated to improving the district. He and the board "want a relationship of trust throughout the district," he said.

"I've got a great community," he said. "I know them and they know me."

Martel is a graduate of Lamar University, where he played football, and holds a master's degree from Stephen F. Austin State University. He is one course away from having his superintendent's certification from the state.

Martel has compiled 9-1 regular season records the last two football seasons since returning from Anahuac, tying for the district title in 2006. The Lumberjacks have not gotten out of the first round of the playoffs in his tenure. He is 51-32 in nine years as a head coach.

His primary goal, he said, is to make Diboll excellent in academics as well as athletics.

"I will work myself ragged to make this the district of choice."

www.dibollfreepress.com

Can't wait to see who the next coach will be.

mistanice
06-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Diboll source says Alto HC/AD is the frontrunner for the job. Don't know much about this guy...

ronwx5x
06-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
Diboll source says Alto HC/AD is the frontrunner for the job. Don't know much about this guy...

If it is the same guy as in 2006-2007, he has back to back state championships, I believe. Keith Gardner?

GATAPride77
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Yes it is Gardner who is at Alto. Great guy as well as a great coach, got to know him when he was a Centerville.

pooch
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I like that golf course there in Diboll.

mistanice
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by pooch
I like that golf course there in Diboll.

Have played there many of times. Neches Pines

Old Tiger
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Diboll source says Alto HC/AD is the frontrunner for the job. Don't know much about this guy... would be a hell of a hire!

duckpluck
06-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Any news on who they are talking to to replace him?

mistanice
06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Supposed to hear something tomorrow on www.dibollfreepress.com

I'm anxious to see who has shown interest..

duckpluck
06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Not much info in the new story. I think we may be in for a surprise in the hire.

mistanice
06-26-2008, 09:34 AM
After last week's surprising revelation that Diboll Lumberjack Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Gary Martel would be moving to role of Diboll I.S.D. Superintendent, the focus has quickly moved to a search for his replacement as the Jacks head man. Officially the job was posted June 17, and will have a 10 day open period for candidate to get their resumes submitted.

From the looks of things candidates from across the state have not been waiting for that period of time to eclipse, as there are already a number of candidates vying for the post.

"We have been receiving a number of resumes," Martel said.

Martel has also assembled a search committee that will help him to review applicants for the open position. That committee is made up of Daniel Lopez; Diboll High Principal, Mark Kettering; Diboll Junior Principal, Laura Knight; Diboll Girls Athletics Coordinator, Joey Acker; Diboll Band Director and Kevin Swore; Diboll FFA Director.

Martel cited two reasons for their appointments to the search team. Number one is his feeling that these are the individuals that he has had to work with the most as A.D., and second that they represent the largest portion of students in the district.

"These are the administrators that have to mesh, as they have to deal with the most students," Martel explained.

They will also assist some in the interviewing process, and Martel will also handle some of those interviews personally.

The interviewing process itself has already gotten underway, with at least one candidate already having been brought in for talks.

Martel feels strongly that the staff of Diboll I.S.D. has responded well to his transition into the administrative area, "Support from the staff here has been tremendous."

One thing for certain this search has come with a great deal of fanfare and the rumors have been flying around and around.

Some of these rumors have suggested that Martel's brother, and Hardin-Jefferson Head Football Coach David Martel would be coming into the head job here in Diboll. That is not true however, with David Martel happy to be coaching at the pairs High School Alma-Mater.

Another rumor is that an internal candidate already on the Lumberjack staff is interested in the position, well that one is true.

"There is a chance there is an internal candidate interested in the job," Martel remarked.

The focus that has been placed on this change is huge for both the district and the athletics department here in Diboll.

Whoever is named the new head man of the Texas Class 3A No. 22 Diboll Lumberjacks, well they will be stepping into a position filled with high expectations.

For Martel the focus is finding the best candidate for the overall athletic program and that his number one priority in this search. In fact Martel's entire outlook as the new superintendent has gone through some changes, "I was the type to ride on the back of the bus with kids and eat a sandwich, while visiting. Now I get to drive it."

www.dibollfreepress.com

celinaorange
06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I do not know anybody in Diboll, but I would like to congratulate the Board of Trustees and the community. It is refreshing to see a community go back to the old school of promoting current employees to higher positions as they open up. In the old days, you taught, coached, drove the bus, disciplined the kids, and anything else that was necessary and good for the education of the kids. And you moved up the ladder. I don't know Coach Martel, but feel confident that he will do an outstanding job for his community and the Diboll ISD. Again, congratulations Diboll and best of luck.