PDA

View Full Version : The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth

STANG RED
06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I have known and believed this for years, but just finally ran across an article that supports it. Maybe people wont look at me like Im crazy now, when I tell them I only change oil every 10,000 miles. And have driven several cars well over 200,000 miles, and they were still running fine when I got rid of them.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/586/the-3000-mile-oil-change-myth/;_ylc=X3oDMTE0cnVqb3Q4BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRv ZGF5BHNsawMzMDAwLW9pbA--

By Bill Siuru, Greencar.com provided by:

According to a recent study by the California Integrated Waste Management Board, 73 percent of California drivers change their oil more frequently than required. This same scenario no doubt repeats itself across the country. Besides wasting money, this translates into unnecessary consumption of $100-a-barrel oil, much of it imported.

It’s been a misconception for years that engine oil should be changed every 3000 miles, even though most auto manufacturers now recommend oil changes at 5,000, 7,000, or even 10,000 mile intervals under normal driving conditions.

Greatly improved oils, including synthetic oils, coupled with better engines mean longer spans between oil changes without harming an engine. The 3000 mile interval is a carryover from days when engines used single-grade, non-detergent oils.

sinfan75
06-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Heard this a few years back but old habits die hard. But our mechanic also said the same thing so I'll let it go sometimes 4 maybe 5000 miles. But I still get nervous after 3000.

ronwx5x
06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I've changed mine at 5000 miles for years, just like the manufacturer recommends. I have yet to suffer any consequences. I could probably go longer but I'm a coward!

The myth is mostly perpetuated by the companies that do oil changes. Every reminder sticker I have ever seen calls for the next change in 3000 miles or 3 months. I wish they would just put the mileage when it was done and let me decide when, since that's what I do anyway!

:hand: :hand:

Blastoderm55
06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
The manufacturer of mine says every 3000 miles and I'll void the warranty otherwise, so I'll follow their commands. I doubt the oil change shops appreciate the debunking of the myth. :p

ronwx5x
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
The manufacturer of mine says every 3000 miles and I'll void the warranty otherwise, so I'll follow their commands. I doubt the oil change shops appreciate the debunking of the myth. :p

What brand do you drive?

Gp83
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I have been told synthetic oils like mobil 1 is good for in excess of 10K miles.

pirate4state
06-17-2008, 06:27 PM
:confused:

What's an oil change?

:D

sinton66
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I_DON"T_CARE probably has never changed his oil.:D

Bull's-eye
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm in the auto industry and was just discussing this the other day. IMO, we waste a lot of oil and most cars have no trouble going longer than 3000 miles. A lot depends on the type of driving, whether it's stop-n-go traffic, short trips or highway miles. I'm looking for the car makers to develop an oil sensor that would monitor the cleanliness of the engine oil. This would allow people to go longer intervals on their oil changes and cut down on the amount of oil we use.

Most oil change places must collect and properly dispose of the old oil. The recycled oil can be refined into lubricating oil or burned for energy. This possibly may out weigh the advantages of longer oil changes. Cars that actually leak or burn oil should definitely be repaired and we should all save and recycle our used oil. Hopefully, somebody will do a study to see if longer oil changes would be more beneficial.

SWMustang
06-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I can't bring myself to go longer than 3K. I will say when I had a company vehicle (chevy's) we changed the oil every 5K. I would think that wasting oil on oil changes is a drop in the bucket compared to what gets used for gasoline.

Bull's-eye
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I would think that wasting oil on oil changes is a drop in the bucket compared to what gets used for gasoline.

:iagree: As long as we are recycling the used oil ,we may not save that much by going longer oil change intervals.

piratebg
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
The longest I've ever gone has been about 4,000, and I was on pins and needles for the last couple of hundred. :D

DU_stud04
06-17-2008, 07:30 PM
i always feel i get better gas mileage with new oil and my car just seems to run better. she seems happy to have new oil in her. i keep her happy :D

Diocletian
06-17-2008, 08:23 PM
It's all in how you treat your car...

The reccomendation to change your oil every 3000 miles is an average number based on testing engines at full load.

I change my oil every 6000 miles, or I go on a long trip I change it before and after. when you own more than one vehicle it becomes to costly to have your $$$$ flying away uneeded because of some "myth"

JasperDog94
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
I have been told synthetic oils like mobil 1 is good for in excess of 10K miles. I use Royal Purple and I go 10,000-12,000 miles.

Tx Challenge
06-17-2008, 08:59 PM
It all depends on the type of driving. I would never drive a diesel too long without an oil change. My theory is that changing the oil every 3-4k miles isnt going to "hurt" the vehicle. I always change in those intervals

SWMustang
06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
It all depends on the type of driving. I would never drive a diesel too long without an oil change. My theory is that changing the oil every 3-4k miles isnt going to "hurt" the vehicle. I always change in those intervals

no, it won't hurt a thing. If you wanted to change it every 10 miles it wouldn't hurt anything.

STANG RED
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I can't bring myself to go longer than 3K. I will say when I had a company vehicle (chevy's) we changed the oil every 5K. I would think that wasting oil on oil changes is a drop in the bucket compared to what gets used for gasoline.

But when you consider the millions of cars out there, and double the mileage on each between oil changes, that has to add up to a substantial amount of oil all total. Just a thought.

Bull's-eye
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
But when you consider the millions of cars out there, and double the mileage on each between oil changes, that has to add up to a substantial amount of oil all total. Just a thought.

With most of our oil being recycled, does it make that big of a difference?

Blastoderm55
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
What brand do you drive?

Suzuki

Tx Challenge
06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
no, it won't hurt a thing. If you wanted to change it every 10 miles it wouldn't hurt anything.

Again, each to their own. It depends on the type of driving. Oil changes are long term effects. If you drive little and keep a car for a short time, then you will be ok to never change the oil. Drive a lot, pull a trailer, keep a car a long time, and you will be sorry

GreenMonster
06-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
With most of our oil being recycled, does it make that big of a difference? According to the article, we only recycle between 25% and 50% of this oil. The rest is wasted.

RMAC
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I'm in the auto industry and was just discussing this the other day. IMO, we waste a lot of oil and most cars have no trouble going longer than 3000 miles. A lot depends on the type of driving, whether it's stop-n-go traffic, short trips or highway miles. I'm looking for the car makers to develop an oil sensor that would monitor the cleanliness of the engine oil. This would allow people to go longer intervals on their oil changes and cut down on the amount of oil we use.

Most oil change places must collect and properly dispose of the old oil. The recycled oil can be refined into lubricating oil or burned for energy. This possibly may out weigh the advantages of longer oil changes. Cars that actually leak or burn oil should definitely be repaired and we should all save and recycle our used oil. Hopefully, somebody will do a study to see if longer oil changes would be more beneficial.

I have a new Chevy and by pressing the little button that changes from odometer to trip, it also shows me the trans. temp, calibrates my wheel alignment, and also what percent of my oil life I have remaining. You reset it just like the trip meter whenever you get your oil changed and it has a computer that will sense how you're oil is doing. I've gone around 5K both times and I'm at 14k on the truck right now and have 22% remaining.

Phil C
06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
I talked to a mechanic and he says you should change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles. He says if you go a few hundred over it will be ok. He would know. He works for Jiffy Lube in Corpus Christi, Texas.

ronwx5x
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I talked to a mechanic and he says you should change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles. He says if you go a few hundred over it will be ok. He would know. He works for Jiffy Lube in Corpus Christi, Texas.

I have trouble believing this is an unbiased opinion if he works for a company that makes it's living doing oil changes. My owner's handbook says 5,000 unless I drive in dusty conditions or pull a trailer.

In the military the mechanics actually take oil samples and analyze it to determine when to change oil, both on motor vehicles and airplanes. Motor vehicles for the most part go about 7500 miles before an oil change.

Of course, we don't have the equipment, so we listen to "experts".:inlove:

crzyjournalist03
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
I have a new Chevy and by pressing the little button that changes from odometer to trip, it also shows me the trans. temp, calibrates my wheel alignment, and also what percent of my oil life I have remaining. You reset it just like the trip meter whenever you get your oil changed and it has a computer that will sense how you're oil is doing. I've gone around 5K both times and I'm at 14k on the truck right now and have 22% remaining.

I have a 2007 Chevrolet, and they told me that a maintainence light would come on when it needed a change, but I can't justify driving my car if the oil monitor says that the quality is below 50%.

3ABirdMan
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
My wife and I traded a 2000 Ford Expedition for a 2008 Honda CR-V in January. The CR-V has an oil-life sensor, that decreases in % as you drive. So far, we have about 8k on it, and the oil sensor still shows >50% oil life.

I have always changed around 5k miles, because I do not drive in dusty conditions or pull a trailer, as stated in the owners manual.

With todays oils, oil filtration, and air filters, coupled with fuel injection, oxygen sensors, Variable Valve Timing, and all of the other computer-controlled functions, AS WELL AS tighter maching specs, engines really don't fill their oils with harmful carbon and deposits like they did 20 years ago.

slpybear the bullfan
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Same thing here... It measure oil life, not oil quality. You are just throwing Money away changing it early, (plus adding waste to the environment.)

Family works at the local GM dealer and service department said 3000 mile sticker they put on is not justifiable, but people pay it anyway. Said follow the oil life monitor, it monitors driving speeds, stops, tranny, pulling, air qual and miles.

crzyjournalist03
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Same thing here... It measure oil life, not oil quality. You are just throwing Money away changing it early, (plus adding waste to the environment.)

Family works at the local GM dealer and service department said 3000 mile sticker they put on is not justifiable, but people pay it anyway. Said follow the oil life monitor, it monitors driving speeds, stops, tranny, pulling, air qual and miles.

Good thing is that I don't let trannys ride in my car with me. That probably increases my oil life.

ronwx5x
06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Good thing is that I don't let trannys ride in my car with me. That probably increases my oil life.

there are probably no trannys that would ride with you!
.............:taunt: :taunt:

SWMustang
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
there are probably no trannys that would ride with you!
.............:taunt: :taunt:

don't be so sure..:p

ronwx5x
06-18-2008, 12:16 PM
don't be so sure..:p
I did say "probably". There may be one or two, I am no expert.

......................:cool: :cool:

Buckeye1980
06-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I ran a quick lube for 10 years, the 3000 mile sticker is a joke. We did it because we wanted people to come back, that is how we made money. I know one guy that chaonges only the filter every 2000 miles and has done so for years and states he never had any motor trouble on any vehicle he has ever owned. I would not agree to do that but kinda makes sense cause the filter cleans the oil. Personally I change every 10000 miles using Valvoline Synthetic

STANG RED
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

I hate to tell you this, but if he works for Jiffy Lube, odds are that he is nowhere near being a real mechanic. Just a lube tech that knows how to change oil and squirt grease.
I have talked to several REAL mechanics about this on several occasions. These are pros that have torn down and rebuilt many engines, and for many years. They have all told me that changing oil every 3000 miles is a waste, and that most people’s driving habits don’t start breaking down today’s oils till about 12k to 15k miles. And even then, most could go well over 20k without doing any damage at all. They also claim that even extreme driving conditions won’t start to break down today’s oil till about 8k to 10k miles.
But seeing how a Jiffy Lube's lube tech's livelihood relies on the 3000 miles myth, I'm sure he would recommend it. Heck, I know I would if I were in his shoes.

Bull's-eye
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM

I knew they would come out with some new type of oil monitor device. The old ones were just pre-set at 3000 mile intervals and didn't actually sense the condition of the oil.

Just wondering, do you drive the truck any different than the car? Like just highway driving compared to stop-n-go traffic or short trips?