PDA

View Full Version : hard times upon athletic programs??

maestro
06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=d15a8dae085ebf76

from the brazosport facts...

rangerjim
06-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I have no problem with an athletic fee for those who want to play. Back when I was in high school, a budget battle broke out with the ISD (9 high schools) and the end result was they cancelled ALL athletic programs for one year. As a junior, it hurt many of us who had a small shot at some type of college scholarship by missing a year of sports. Still have hard feelings to this day about that and it was a long time ago.

With the current gas prices, there are many budget issues to come, especially for those districts that have a lot of travel within their own districts.

sahen
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
that'll work til someone challenges it in court...then the courts will probably say its discriminating on economics and make them eliminate it thus killing sports in some schools....

ronwx5x
06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
I have no problem with an athletic fee for those who want to play. Back when I was in high school, a budget battle broke out with the ISD (9 high schools) and the end result was they cancelled ALL athletic programs for one year. As a junior, it hurt many of us who had a small shot at some type of college scholarship by missing a year of sports. Still have hard feelings to this day about that and it was a long time ago.

With the current gas prices, there are many budget issues to come, especially for those districts that have a lot of travel within their own districts.

Wow, talk about a death penalty! I assume the school board did the cancelling and I wonder if they were voted out of office in the next election. Bet that's what would happen in most Texas towns.

rancher
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I would take that bet. You better get a handle on the state of education in Texas, most schools because of what Pecos Perry did in tax reforms with the margins tax are lossing money. The M&O portions of the budget (Maintance and Operation) are now set at 2006 levels by the state. Everything has now gone sky high fuel is an example. The only way for schools to get around this is to go to the voters and ask for a tax raise on your taxes. It aint going to happen. Schools district are going to have to make tough choices in the future on what they are going to fund in the way of athletics.

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim

You would think canceling the season would lose more money the paying a little bit more for gas then they did last year. You lose tens of thousands of dollars in advertising and admissions.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You would think canceling the season would lose more money the paying a little bit more for gas then they did last year. You lose tens of thousands of dollars in advertising and admissions.

unless your athletics suck.

rangerjim
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I can't remember what the repercussions were from cancelling a year of athletics - it was 30 years ago and was in a different state. My memory is slowly going. I do remember attending the school board meetings with hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of other students.

We ended up having an intramural league of sorts coordinated by the students with all 9 schools. Kind of like a city rec league kind of thing. That was kinda cool but still sucked at the same time.

RedWhiteBlue
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I know Graham's school board has already voted to buy a larger more 'fuel efficient' bus? that will supposedly carry more kids and equipment because of travel.

nobogey72
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
The rumor has been going around Wylie this week that due to the rising cost of jet fuel, that Wylie parents might have to chip in to help with jet fuel costs, or else, .....get this:rolleyes: , our teams might have to go back to traveling by charter bus like we used to, instead of flying. Whatever......:rolleyes: :D

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I heard HP parents just got together and bought exxon mobile

Phil C
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
:eek: :(

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
The rumor has been going around Wylie this week that due to the rising cost of jet fuel, that Wylie parents might have to chip in to help with jet fuel costs, or else, .....get this:rolleyes: , our teams might have to go back to traveling by charter bus like we used to, instead of flying. Whatever......:rolleyes: :D

Maybe you guys can just find all those kids' families who show up missing every realignment and make them pay their fair share.

RedWhiteBlue
06-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah, and you guys don't have turf yet. W/E:rolleyes:

nobogey72
06-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Yeah, and you guys don't have turf yet. W/E:rolleyes:

No, but we now have gravel. And, I bet that our gravel is better than your's. BTW, in the process, what comes next after the layer of gravel?:thinking:

44INAROW
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I heard HP parents just got together and bought exxon mobile
OMG I just squeek laughed.................:D :D :D :D

RedWhiteBlue
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
No, but we now have gravel. And, I bet that our gravel is better than your's. BTW, in the process, what comes next after the layer of gravel?:thinking:
Gravel? gravel? man, you guys got robbed!!! It is supposed to be TURF!!!!

nobogey72
06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Gravel? gravel? man, you guys got robbed!!! It is supposed to be TURF!!!!

Yeah, when you see our's you will be jealous. Even more than you are already.:taunt: :2thumbsup

RedWhiteBlue
06-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, when you see our's you will be jealous. Even more than you are already.:taunt: :2thumbsup
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

RedWhiteBlue
06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
No, actually. Layers of rubber go in next. That is what makes it all cushy and nice to walk on with your shoes off.:D

LH Panther Mom
06-17-2008, 05:22 PM
RRISD has had a participation fee for a number of years. I'd rather pay a fee than my kids to lose out on some of the things they're involved in, or even to add something that might not be in the budget.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
RRISD has had a participation fee for a number of years. I'd rather pay a fee than my kids to lose out on some of the things they're involved in, or even to add something that might not be in the budget.

Do you still have to pay the fee if the kid gets cut and doesn't make the team?

LH Panther Mom
06-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Do you still have to pay the fee if the kid gets cut and doesn't make the team?
Heck if I know. :p I just remember reading the article in the paper when they started it, maybe 8-10 years ago. I have a great memory, but sometimes inconsequential details get archived in the locked recesses. :p

ronwx5x
06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by rancher
I would take that bet. You better get a handle on the state of education in Texas, most schools because of what Pecos Perry did in tax reforms with the margins tax are lossing money. The M&O portions of the budget (Maintance and Operation) are now set at 2006 levels by the state. Everything has now gone sky high fuel is an example. The only way for schools to get around this is to go to the voters and ask for a tax raise on your taxes. It aint going to happen. Schools district are going to have to make tough choices in the future on what they are going to fund in the way of athletics.

I don't doubt that tough decisions are having to be made, but you missed what I was saying. I truly believe the majority of Texas people would do many, many other things before cancelling football. Other athletic programs will suffer before football does.

I also believe many school districts are up against the tax cap and can't raise taxes other than the annual allowable, particularly due to the Robin Hood law since raising taxes just means more money for some other school district.

And by the way, school districts have never "made money". The best they can hope for is to break even, so to say they "lose money" misses the point again.

rancher
06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
You are right, football is king and will be here to stay, at least at the varsity level. However, the lower levels will suffer, especially when rack price for diesel ( the price school districts pay) is now going about $4.10 a gallon. Most buses only get about 5-7 mpg. In talking to the Alief School Dist. Sup., he told me that their transportation cost were over budget by $1.7 million because of the fuel cost. In addition they are having to pay more for the operations of the district because of rising cost of goods and services. They are going to the voters in Sept. I believe and are going to ask for a 17 cent tax raise. This is required to bust the cap. Cy-Fair district is cutting teaching staff and is cutting back on Ath. because of a major budget short fall. Katy is now in the same boat but not to the degree of Cy-Fair yet. I hope that you got your $2000 dollars back from Pecos Perry as he promised when he and John Sharp and the rest of the Texas Legislature did the three card monte trick on the citizens of this state. Everyone in this deal lost, the school districts, the business owner and the taxpayer. BOHICA

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Round Rock?

They struggle for money?

LH Panther Mom
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Round Rock?

They struggle for money?
Yes, Round Rock.

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I guess they get hit hard by robin hood though