PDA

View Full Version : My AL All-Star Team

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Again, based upon current voting and getting one representative from each team on the roster, here's my best shot at an AL All-Star team:

AL All-star team

1B Kevin Youkilis, Red Sox
2B Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox
3B Alex Rodriguez, Yankees
SS Derek Jeter, Yankees
OF Manny Ramirez, Red Sox
OF Josh Hamilton, Rangers
OF Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners
DH David Ortiz, Red Sox
SP Cliff Lee, Indians

Reserves:

P Roy Halladay, Blue Jays
P Scott Kazmir, Rays
P Zack Greinke, Royals
P Justin Duchscherer, Athletics
P Joe Saunders, Angels
P Daisuke Matsuzaka, Red Sox
P John Danks, White Sox
P Francisco Rodriguez, Angels
P Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox
P Mariano Rivera, Yankees

C Joe Mauer, Twins
1B Justin Morneau, Twins
2B Ian Kinsler, Rangers
2B Brian Roberts, Orioles
3B Joe Crede, White Sox
SS Michael Young, Rangers
OF Vladmir Guererro, Angels
OF Milton Bradley, Rangers
OF Carlos Quentin, White Sox
OF Magglio Ordonez, Tigers
DH Hideki Matsui, Yankees

32nd Man Voting:
1. Grady Sizemore, Indians
2. Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox
3. Carlos Guillen, Tigers
4. B.J. Upton, Rays
5. David Murphy, Rangers

Notable omissions: Jose Guillen, J.D. Drew, Carl Crawford, C.C. Sabathia, Shaun Marcum, Huston Street

Rabbit'93
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
no ranger pitchers on that list? ;)

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
no ranger pitchers on that list? ;)

haha...Padilla could make a case for himself with two or three more good starts between now and then, and on a normal year, he might have a decent shot. The AL is DEEP in pitching this year.

I probably should have had Marcum on the team somewhere, but I just couldn't find someone to bump off. For a moment, I had him in and Matsuzaka out, but there's no way Francona leaves his own ace off the squad.

crzyjournalist03
06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Grr...

C Jason Varitek, Red Sox

missed that one too!

BwdLions
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
haha...Padilla could make a case for himself with two or three more good starts between now and then, and on a normal year, he might have a decent shot.

The problem with Padilla pitching in the All Star Game is they'd like to get the game completed in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. The thing that dirves me nuts about Padilla is he takes forever between pitches.

coach
06-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
The problem with Padilla pitching in the All Star Game is they'd like to get the game completed in 3 to 3 1/2 hours. The thing that dirves me nuts about Padilla is he takes forever between pitches.

they are also prabably concerned how many batters he will and try and hit

Bull Butter
06-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Not a bad list at all. Although I would go with Ervin Santana, Gavin Floyd or Mike Mussina over John Danks

crzyjournalist03
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Not a bad list at all. Although I would go with Ervin Santana, Gavin Floyd or Mike Mussina over John Danks

Believe it or not, I actually had Ervin Santana on the list but decided that the first-place White Sox should have more than one representative. I realize that it's a flawed reasoning, but I was trying to be as fair as I could to individual teams while still putting together a great roster. I went back and forth debating Santana and Saunders, because I just don't think that the Angels really need three pitchers on the team. I ended up going with Saunders merely because he was tied for the league lead in wins.

I chose Danks over Floyd because Danks has the better ERA and more strikeouts in about the same amount of innings pitched. He just doesn't have the wins as he hasn't received the same run support.

Mussina has an interesting case as well, but I figured that if it's up to Terry Francona to finish out the roster, he's leaving off a Yankee if it's close.

The guy that I think has to find his way on the roster is Marcum, but I figure he'll get in as there's always a few people who pull out.

crzyjournalist03
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Thought it would be fun to compare rosters now that they've been announced. The starters did not change with the exception of Mauer replacing Varitek, and I had both on the team anyway.

Below are my original predictions Players marked with a * made the team, and ^ means they are on the ballot for 32nd man.

AL All-star team
C Jason Varitek, Red Sox*
1B Kevin Youkilis, Red Sox*
2B Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox*
3B Alex Rodriguez, Yankees*
SS Derek Jeter, Yankees*
OF Manny Ramirez, Red Sox*
OF Josh Hamilton, Rangers*
OF Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners*
DH David Ortiz, Red Sox*
SP Cliff Lee, Indians*

Reserves:

P Roy Halladay, Blue Jays*
P Scott Kazmir, Rays*
P Zack Greinke, Royals
P Justin Duchscherer, Athletics*
P Joe Saunders, Angels*
P Daisuke Matsuzaka, Red Sox
P John Danks, White Sox
P Francisco Rodriguez, Angels*
P Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox*
P Mariano Rivera, Yankees*

C Joe Mauer, Twins*
1B Justin Morneau, Twins*
2B Ian Kinsler, Rangers*
2B Brian Roberts, Orioles^
3B Joe Crede, White Sox*
SS Michael Young, Rangers*
OF Vladmir Guererro, Angels
OF Milton Bradley, Rangers*
OF Carlos Quentin, White Sox*
OF Magglio Ordonez, Tigers
DH Hideki Matsui, Yankees

32nd Man Voting:
1. Grady Sizemore, Indians*
2. Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox
3. Carlos Guillen, Tigers*
4. B.J. Upton, Rays
5. David Murphy, Rangers

Players I missed who are on the roster:
Dioner Navarro
J.D. Drew
Ervin Santana
Joe Nathan
George Sherrill
Joakim Soria

Overall, I had 24 of the 31 correct, with two more who made the squad on the fifth man ballot.

Soria replaces Greinke as Kansas City's lone rep; Sherrill replaces Roberts (although Roberts may still make the team). I replaced Santana with Danks right before posting my prediction, and I should have left it. I still think Danks is in line as a replacement should a pitcher pull out.

sahen
07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Jason Varitek

.218 batting average, 7 home runs, 27 RBIs

The Red Soxs manager should be embarassed for putting him on the team....

I know the manager gets to pick the bench players for the game and likes to reward his own guys for a good year the year before but come on, it should be against the rules to pick someone having that bad of a year. If I was Varitek I'd be embarassed and turn it down....

Buccaneer
07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Jason Varitek

.218 batting average, 7 home runs, 27 RBIs

The Red Soxs manager should be embarassed for putting him on the team....

I know the manager gets to pick the bench players for the game and likes to reward his own guys for a good year the year before but come on, it should be against the rules to pick someone having that bad of a year. If I was Varitek I'd be embarassed and turn it down....

Varitek was voted in by the players!

sahen
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Varitek was voted in by the players!

well, even so thats ridiculous...he must be a good guy that they all like but come on, he is hitting for about the same average as Michael Bourn w/ a little more power but no steals...