PDA

View Full Version : 3A Top five Preseason Poll

cunbed10
06-11-2003, 08:48 AM
I Would like to get a real opinion of the Preseason Top 5 picks, I'm From Marlin, but I will not pick a top five I want everyone's True Top Five Picks.

3afan
06-11-2003, 08:51 AM
here's a start:

Burnet
Everman
Marlin
Forney
Spring Hill

cunbed10
06-11-2003, 08:57 AM
3afan I respect your honesty, but one team that is very capable, that you left out is the Everman team, maybe it's not going to be the year of the Everman Bulldogs, but thanx.

3afan2K3
06-11-2003, 08:58 AM
3afan:
here's a start:

Burnet
Everman
Marlin
Forney
Spring HillBOO!!!

1.Forney
2.Burnet
3.Everman
4.Midland Greewood
5.Bandera
6.Jasper
7.Wills Point
8.Atlanta
9.Sinton
10.Bellville

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

GOFOR2
06-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Did you guys forget about Rice Consolidated. They are going to be pretty stinkin' good this year. Oh yeah, and what about them Port Isabel Flounders.

3afan
06-11-2003, 09:46 AM
cunbed10:
3afan I respect your honesty, but one team that is very capable, that you left out is the Everman team, maybe it's not going to be the year of the Everman Bulldogs, but thanx.uuhhhh, Everman is in the list, look again please .....

3afan
06-11-2003, 09:47 AM
GOFOR2:
Did you guys forget about Rice Consolidated. They are going to be pretty stinkin' good this year. Oh yeah, and what about them Port Isabel Flounders.If Rice or PI made serious noise it would not surprise me ... in fact both are probably pre-season top 10-15 material IMHO ...

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

GOFOR2
06-11-2003, 09:54 AM
3afan, I was just kidding about Port I. I should have put the Flounders in quotes. Come on, how long has it been since anyone in the valley really contended for any football championship. It's been a while.

Everman01Grad.
06-11-2003, 11:00 AM
I hate to say this but this might not be the year of the Everman dogs but none of you guys have beat us either...Do that.
Everman
Burnet
Forney
?
?
I dont know that much about other schools

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Flounders, huh? Ok. Now which "Coastal Bend" team was it that Port Isabel left "floundering" in a pool of their own tears after the game? Oh yeah, Aransas Pass. Weren't they supposed to make a state title run???

Losing to a "valley team", ugh, makes you sick, doesn't it?

To answer your question, Port Isabel's last REAL DEEP playoff run was to the state semi-finals back in 1994. The deepest and most recent playoff run by any RGV team was Edinburg making the Div. 1 5A semi-finals in 1999.

Bandera YaYa
06-11-2003, 11:09 AM
....uh, didn't make us sick...oh, yeah, we didn't lose, tho.. :D :D :D

(sorry, couldn't resist, YA'll get so into this top picks thing....just agree to disagree, you'll always chose your hometown over anyone else, anyway...it's human nature!)

LOL!!

3afan
06-11-2003, 11:42 AM
I believe back in the early 90s, maybe late 80s, Port I was the team to beat in Region IV. Lately its been Sinton but someone else has to emerge from the pack ...

PPHSfan
06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
1. Forney
2. Burnet
3. Everman
4. Daingerfield
5. Celina

jason
06-11-2003, 12:08 PM
1. Everman (#1 til somebody beats em)
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Daingerfield
5. Celina

PPHSfan
06-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Jason I agree, but this is 2003 and Everman graduated just about everyone, while Forney and Burnet kept the big guns. McGee and Hanie will be the top two QB's in 3A hands down.

true_blue_tiger
06-11-2003, 02:36 PM
I think Daingerfield will be a force to reckon with again this year. coaches are thinking the defense will be better than last year's and also we will be running our offense for the entire year. not just the last 5 or 6 games. they averaged 30 points in the games after implementing the wishbone.

Jacket2000
06-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Subject to change:
1. Everman
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Commerce(never pick against'em on an even-numbered year)
5. Midland Greenwood/Celina
I really wanted to put Daingerfield in there with what they have coming back, but history shows that they should be down this season and then make another strong run in '04.
J2K

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Jacket2000 ]</small>

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Just for a lil clarification...the last 2 years Everman has graduated a ton of players...don't count em out just yet...this years bunch could be more talented than any to come through....

Old Tiger
06-11-2003, 03:51 PM
1. Burnet
2. Everman
3. Bandera
4. Jasper
5. Cameron Yoe

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I didn't realize I hadn't done a top 5 yet...

Burnet
Forney
Everman
Midland Greenwood
Dang spot 5 is tough...Marlin, Daingerfield, Commerce are my 3 picks...for that spot...LOL

everman_guy
06-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Everman's JV went 10-0 with average margin victory of over 40 points a game. They have a new group coming up that will just as good. Only thing they are missing is experience, although a lot of them were around during the playoffs both years. We still return 4 starters on each side of the ball, so we didn't graduate everyone on the team.

GOFOR2
06-11-2003, 05:39 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Flounders, huh? Ok. Now which "Coastal Bend" team was it that Port Isabel left "floundering" in a pool of their own tears after the game? Oh yeah, Aransas Pass. Weren't they supposed to make a state title run???

Losing to a "valley team", ugh, makes you sick, doesn't it?

To answer your question, Port Isabel's last REAL DEEP playoff run was to the state semi-finals back in 1994. The deepest and most recent playoff run by any RGV team was Edinburg making the Div. 1 5A semi-finals in 1999.Nope that doesn't make me sick, because you beat a one dimensional team. And they were not expected to make much of a title run. What really makes me sick is how you come babblying about how someone has 4.2 this and 4.21 that and laying out dirty laundry on this post. You know, it does not really matter how many kids you have running under 4.5. The "W" in the left column is what really matters, and the fact is that once most valley schools head up north, outside of "Aransas Past", you falter. When you start to win consistently against teams outside the 956 area code I will be the first to congratulate you. Until then keep pluggin' away.

etcoach
06-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Don't count D'Field out because of history. This year ends the dreaded yo-yo.

turbostud
06-11-2003, 06:09 PM
FYI, the last state championship to come out of the RGV (956) area code was Donna's 28-21 win over Quanah (2a) in 1961. Not exactly a staggering statistic, but the Tarps should go deep this year.

ThaRealBulldog
06-11-2003, 08:56 PM
1. Carthage
2. Forney
3. Everman
4. Jasper
5. Burnet

HotDawg89
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
As most of you are aware, Burnet has a lot going for them this year. We are returning tremendous talent and speed, and some huge guys on our line...We all know that Everman is always a powerhouse, (even though they graduated many, their speed is almost demonic and their program is amazing...) but I don't know much about Forney, and so many people are saying a lot about them... what does Forney have this year?

Old Dog
06-11-2003, 11:02 PM
HotDawg, I assure Forney has a "Program". They are a force to be reckoned with. Had it not been for Everman, Forney very well could have been champs at least one of the last two years. They will be coming hard again this year too! They have some super kids returning.

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

PPHSfan
06-12-2003, 12:02 AM
As I stated before. Forney returns one of the top Two QB's in 3A in Caleb Hanie, McGee is obviously the other. They also return one dangerouse Tail Back in Baylen Laurey. And Forney..Like Everman, always has a ton of athletes. Do not make a mistake by taking them lightly, yest ye fall like those who came before you. ie:Wills Point. :p

Everman01Grad.
06-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Actually Every single year Everman has got rid of a tone of players and every year everman gains them.Other kids from other schools can see the progress were making so they think if they come to this school that have a better shot at state.So we end up having lots of talented kids willing to work hard for something big and Pluse most all the players this year played or helped out in the last two year and they will mostly be seniors.

Everman01Grad.
06-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Old dog i agree with you. I hate to say it but everyone is 3a better look out for forney! Those guys were awsome last year and played a heck of a game against us. They will forsure be in the playoffs.Better watch out also if you end up playing Burnet. There fans will intimidate you alone! Not to mention that quaterback of theres and that reciever!!!

cunbed10
06-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Sorry 3afan eye over looked Everman in your ranking.

Jacket2000
06-12-2003, 12:55 PM
etcoach:
Don't count D'Field out because of history. This year ends the dreaded yo-yo.Coach, I hope you're right! Plan to see y'all come week 12.
J2K

true_blue_tiger
06-12-2003, 01:15 PM
amen coach, the yo yo will be over guaranteed

MARLINFAN
06-12-2003, 01:31 PM
my preaseason top 5 is
1.marlin
2.burnet
3.everman
4.bellville
5.jasper

well i picked jasper as # 5 because their a powerhouse and will stay a powerhouse. bellville really should be # 3 but everman really never loses talent. bellville should be a strong team. last year when they beat us they should have won state. everone from bandera,midland greenwood, knew they couldt stop marlin because they could not handle the speed. they were two power running teams and wouldt have been able to move the ball.burnet is burnet and with the stars coming back its the same ol deal. now marlin to me should not even be ranked. its best like last year to sneak up on people. about time this happens your so strong you cant be stoped. thats the roll the dogs should play. a sleeping giant!!

HotDawg89
06-12-2003, 06:46 PM
As I said, I don't know much about Forney- I hope I didn't come across the wrong way. I am quite sure they have a program, I just hadn't heard anything about it. Thanks for the info. I'll never count anyone out, but it is nice to know what you could potentially be facing.

bulldog65
06-12-2003, 08:19 PM
HotDog89, Forney has an awesome program and athletes to go with it. The last two years they gave us all we wanted. Except for the Waxahachie win in O.T., I believe both 21-14 games were as close as we had both 01, and 02. STRONG Defense, powerful running attack, great special teams, awesome team speed, excellant Coaching, fans, etc. If Burnet does meet them, that will mean they finally got over the hump and beat Everman. I think Forney-Burnet would be a heck of a game.

sinfan75
06-12-2003, 08:25 PM
St.Paul
Papalote
Weesatche
Charco
Old San Patricio

My top 5 for this time of year!!

big daddy russ
06-12-2003, 09:11 PM
GOFOR2:
[QUOTE]Nope that doesn't make me sick, because you beat a one dimensional team. And they were not expected to make much of a title run...Actually, AP wasn't one-dimensional... you just didn't hear a lot about QB John David Heard because RB Tommy Blake was unstoppable. Heard had three 200-yard games this year and eight 100-yard games. He finished with something like 1,500 yards and had around a 40% completion rate... not bad at the HS level. And while not too many people considered AP a contender, the people who got to see them play did. Port Isabel had enough for a run at the DII title, and if you ask any Tarpon fan they'll agree that the Panthers were equally loaded. And AP got so much better as the year went on it wasn't funny. After the Sinton game, when the Panthers realized that they had the talent to hang with a team as tough as the Pirates but were pissing it away, things started clicking. They switched over to a stack defense and actually became a force against the run and everything else fell into place. Could they have competed in Division I? Nope... not a chance. But Division II was a completely different monster.

big daddy russ
06-12-2003, 09:12 PM
sinfan75:
St.Paul
Papalote
Weesatche
Charco
Old San Patricio

My top 5 for this time of year!!Weesatch, haha. Great dancehall up there.

eye of the tiger
06-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey everybody, I am back from my sabatical. It is a bit too early for me to try my guesses for a top 5 or even a top 10. I do know that in '95,'97,'99, and '01 Commerce went to the final game, winning in '99 and '01. It is my hope that '03 will follow this logical sequence. Hope all are doing well and I have a lot of reading and catching up to do. Good to be back.

Jacket2000
06-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Welcome back!! Me and Bearcat were wonderin' where you'd been just the other day!
J2K

crzyjournalist03
06-12-2003, 10:58 PM
jason:
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Daingerfield
5. CelinaVery true my fried. Also very wise to not put the bullseye on our backs by posting us as #1. I will follow your example:

1. Everman
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Carthage
5. Marlin

eye of the tiger
06-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Jacket2000:
Welcome back!! Me and Bearcat were wonderin' where you'd been just the other day!
J2KThanks Jacket, I have really missed everybody.

jason
06-12-2003, 11:34 PM
It's nice to finally see a few people agreeing with me....I haven't seen Keith do it yet, though...

sinton66
06-12-2003, 11:42 PM
We have all missed you eye of the tiger. The board just isn't the same without you. Welcome back, my friend!

eye of the tiger
06-12-2003, 11:52 PM
sinton66:
We have all missed you eye of the tiger. The board just isn't the same without you. Welcome back, my friend!Thanks 66 it is good to be back. I am glad you are still around. You are truly one of the good guys. Its gonna be a great year.

Jacket2000
06-13-2003, 12:14 AM
crzyjournalist03:

jason:
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Daingerfield
5. CelinaVery true my fried. Also very wise to not put the bullseye on our backs by posting us as #1. I will follow your example:

1. Everman
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Carthage
5. MarlinYa know what they say, it's better to be everyone's target than everyone's homecoming.
J2K

GOFOR2
06-13-2003, 05:50 PM
big daddy russ:

GOFOR2:
[QUOTE]Nope that doesn't make me sick, because you beat a one dimensional team. And they were not expected to make much of a title run...Actually, AP wasn't one-dimensional... you just didn't hear a lot about QB John David Heard because RB Tommy Blake was unstoppable. Heard had three 200-yard games this year and eight 100-yard games. He finished with something like 1,500 yards and had around a 40% completion rate... not bad at the HS level. And while not too many people considered AP a contender, the people who got to see them play did. Port Isabel had enough for a run at the DII title, and if you ask any Tarpon fan they'll agree that the Panthers were equally loaded. And AP got so much better as the year went on it wasn't funny. After the Sinton game, when the Panthers realized that they had the talent to hang with a team as tough as the Pirates but were pissing it away, things started clicking. They switched over to a stack defense and actually became a force against the run and everything else fell into place. Could they have competed in Division I? Nope... not a chance. But Division II was a completely different monster.Come off it. You are talking about a 49-14 loss to Sinton as being a good thing. I will agree with you that Aransas had some talent and they were doing little with it...but tell me something new. Aransas did have a very good running back, I have to give Blake that. With all that said, this year will be a new year and the District will have its work cut out to try and keep Oso out of the Winner's Circle.

the tigers are back
06-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Woe now... I really beleuve that the qb for Bellville is one of the top canidates for best 3a qb, unless he proves me wrong this year; certainly we have our moments, but i just home we can put him to idle this year. eek!

the tigers are back
06-13-2003, 07:24 PM
i just beleive that he is in the top qb seat this year, and i hope we can keep him at idle this year i just want to re-type this.