PDA

View Full Version : Staph Infections.......

piratebg
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
SUCK!!!

I've been fighting one for a week now and the horse pills I'm taking are making me sick to my stomach. I'm constantly thirsty and can't even hold down a meal. I'm past the point of frustrated and just needed to vent a little. :(

44INAROW
06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
hope the infection heals soon - just a word to the wise - the antibiotics can cause of other intestinal problems as well - hope you bypass that situation.. :p

AP Panther Fan
06-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
SUCK!!!

I've been fighting one for a week now and the horse pills I'm taking are making me sick to my stomach. I'm constantly thirsty and can't even hold down a meal. I'm past the point of frustrated and just needed to vent a little. :(

Be careful, besides being highly contagious to everyone else in your family, they can land you in the hospital. I hope you heal quickly and find some sort of food that will agree with you. :(

Ranger Mom
06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Be careful, besides being highly contagious to everyone else in your family, they can land you in the hospital. I hope you heal quickly and find some sort of food that will agree with you. :(

My aunt had back surgery and one of the incisions got infected and staph set in....she was hospitalized for 6 weeks with it!!

piratebg
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
It's healing fairly quickly. I've been cleared to go back to work so that was a very good sign. My feet are what got infected. They blistered and swelled up so fast I could barely walk. The worst is behind me, but I have to keep on the meds for a couple more days. I can snack a little here and there but I can't hold a meal.

AP Panther Fan
06-16-2008, 03:28 PM
My sister got a staph infection after a surgery on her foot one time. She ended up back in the hospital and on an IV.

There is a family here that the Dad got it, thought he was healed, then the teenage daughter came down with it, then the Dad had it re-appear and even his infant son got infected before it was over with. Certainly is hard to get rid of, I guess. Glad you are on the mend, Piratebg!

ronwx5x
06-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My aunt had back surgery and one of the incisions got infected and staph set in....she was hospitalized for 6 weeks with it!!

Bet that makes her feel much better now!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

pirate4state
06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Hope you feel better!

Ranger Mom
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Bet that makes her feel much better now!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

"her" who??:thinking:

bwdlionfan
06-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Are you taking Bactrim? I had a Staph Infection back in January. Spent 5 1/2 days on Bactrim and Cephelexan together plus had the infection drained. After being on those two antibiotics for 4 days I started running fever when I hadn't been running a fever, then I started throwing up with it too. On the 5th day, and after seeing 6 different doctors, they put me in the hospital. They took me off the Bactrim and Cephelexan and on to two antibiotics through IV. One of them was Vancomycin, about the only thing that will still kill the MRSA version of Staph. When I was admitted they said my white blood cell count was extremely high and I was dehydrated. After 24 hours of those two IVs, my white blood cells had dropped back to normal and I stopped running fever about 36 hours after I was admitted. I was out of the hospital after 2 1/2 days, but I'm still getting bills from them!!

Bad thing is Vancomycin causes a lot of people to turn bright red on their arms, chest and stomach. It's like a huge rash, but it doesn't itch... it just looked really nasty. Benadryl doesn't help it either, it's caused by an acid imbalance in your body as the Vancomycin is extremely acidic. It takes the body a few days to neutralize the acid, unless of course you drink tons of milk like I started doing on the 3rd day of being red, then it disappeared pretty quickly.

piratebg
06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Are you taking Bactrim? I had a Staph Infection back in January. Spent 5 1/2 days on Bactrim and Cephelexan together plus had the infection drained. After being on those two antibiotics for 4 days I started running fever when I hadn't been running a fever, then I started throwing up with it too. On the 5th day, and after seeing 6 different doctors, they put me in the hospital. They took me off the Bactrim and Cephelexan and on to two antibiotics through IV. One of them was Vancomycin, about the only thing that will still kill the MRSA version of Staph. When I was admitted they said my white blood cell count was extremely high and I was dehydrated. After 24 hours of those two IVs, my white blood cells had dropped back to normal and I stopped running fever about 36 hours after I was admitted. I was out of the hospital after 2 1/2 days, but I'm still getting bills from them!!

Bad thing is Vancomycin causes a lot of people to turn bright red on their arms, chest and stomach. It's like a huge rash, but it doesn't itch... it just looked really nasty. Benadryl doesn't help it either, it's caused by an acid imbalance in your body as the Vancomycin is extremely acidic. It takes the body a few days to neutralize the acid, unless of course you drink tons of milk like I started doing on the 3rd day of being red, then it disappeared pretty quickly.

I am on Bactrim and that is the one that I think is making me sick. It's a freakin horse pill. I've never heard of Cephelexan. The other antibiotic I'm taking is Doxycycline. I haven't run any fever yet. I've been on them for 5-6 days now.

bwdlionfan
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Cephelexin is a pretty weak antibiotic. It's also called Keflex. I may be spelling these wrong. Doctors give kids Amoxicillin and Cephelexin a lot.... I took both of those so much as a kid that I doubt either one do anything to me anymore.

Cameron Crazy
06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Staff is a serious issue, you should get some help with that.

I have a friend who used to get it all the time, but, I guess now he got imune to it, cause he no longer gets it.

bwdlionfan
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
One way to help prevent reinfection is to take a bath about once a month with just a cap full of bleach added to the water. This makes the water just slightly stronger than a swimming pool.

Maroon87
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
My sister got a staph infection after a surgery on her foot one time. She ended up back in the hospital and on an IV.

The same thing happened to me when I was 5. I got a piece of wood stuck in my leg and it got infected, so they did a simple surgery to get it out because it was under the skin. I got a staph infection and my parents said I almost died.:eek:

I don't remember too much about it.

Necks_Fan
06-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I have a permanent scar from a staph infection I had to get lanced. It looks pretty cool but sucked then.