PDA

View Full Version : Question about golf

CenTexSports
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Has the US Open changed your thoughts about watching golf?

Ranger Mom
06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Nope!:p

3afan
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
no - why should it?

rangerjim
06-16-2008, 09:47 AM
High Def changed my mind about watching golf.

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
no - why should it?

You'll see

CenTexSports
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Because next to major league baseball, it is the most demanding professional sport in the world. Man vs nature vs himself vs the golf course. and in Tiger's case verses the cameras that are constantly clicking. Tiger has rabbit ears.

jason
06-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Because next to major league baseball, it is the most demanding professional sport in the world.

baseball isnt demanding - anybody can stand around a field for 4 hours and then fail 3 out of 5 times at the plate and still have it considered a successful night....

of the 5 main professional sports, baseball players are the least athletic...

Rabbit'93
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jason
baseball isnt demanding - anybody can stand around a field for 4 hours and then fail 3 out of 5 times at the plate and still have it considered a successful night....

of the 5 main professional sports, baseball players are the least athletic... I thought there was only 4 major sports...what's the fifth? NASCAR right?;) :D

jason
06-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
I thought there was only 4 major sports...what's the fifth? NASCAR right?;) :D

in this order - the most physically gifted athletes:

nba
nfl
nhl

tie for 4th:

mlb & pga

3afan
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You'll see

doubt it ....... explain .....

eppy 12
06-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Tiger has rabbit ears. well then he has til feb 09 to get his converter box:rolleyes:

CenTexSports
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Converter box - good one!

NFL, NBA, and NHL players are better physical specimens and if you equate athletisim to these traits then you are right. But baseball players and golfers have superior hand eye coordination and concentration.

But then again, golf and baseball are my passions. I hate the NBA, the NHL is pathetic unless you watch it in person and I do not like going to NFL games (and I have been to a dozen or so).

MY all time best athletes:

Bo Jackson (head and shoulders above anyone else)
Mickey Mantel
Tiger Woods (even though I am not a fan)
Michael Jordon
Jack and Arnold
Cal Ripken

Old Tiger
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Because next to major league baseball, it is the most demanding professional sport in the world. Man vs nature vs himself vs the golf course. and in Tiger's case verses the cameras that are constantly clicking. Tiger has rabbit ears. Golf is as exciting as baseball

coach
06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
but baseball is the toughest to become a professional...also golf is much more difficult than any other sport

pooch
06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
no.

i like golf.

even better when there's great shots like at Torrey Pines.

I could do without the announcers though.

pooch
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM

nba
nfl
nhl

tie for 4th:

mlb & pga

gifted athletes in all of those sports for sure, but nba with the most? your HSO, i reckon?!?

when I think of athlete I think of those who can crossover and still be pretty good in another sport....a la Bo jackson, Lance Armstrong, Tony Gonzalez

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by coach
but baseball is the toughest to become a professional...also golf is much more difficult than any other sport
What do you mean by professional? Strictly getting paid to play or making it to the highest level, MLB, PGA Tour, NFL ect.

In the MLB, they draft 1000 players a year to come into the system.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-17-2008, 01:10 AM

nba
nfl
nhl

tie for 4th:

mlb & pga

I had the basketball vs. football debate with one of my friends, and I still maintain the idea that football takes a more physically talented athlete than basketball. Shooting is a skill in basketball; you can be a great shooter and be great at basketball. You can be tall and have great touch under the basket and be great at basketball. You can be great at ball handling and passing and be great at basketball. Those are all skills that can be learned by anyone without a lot of great physical capabilities. To be a great running back in football, you have to have great footwork, speed, agility, stamina, and strength. The same applies to pretty much any other player on the field. You have to cultivate and train physically to be good at football, in basketball you just have to get out and practice at it to be good or great at it. Sure, you have to have stamina, endurance, and great leaping ability, but in basketball it's more about being skilled and talented at one or a couple of things, like shooting, dribbling, etc. Now while this isn't true about playing defense, if you look at the NBA it is hard to find a player who plays really tough and aggressive defense, and that's the truth. In football you're constantly training to get better because you have to be physically capable of playing the game in order to be successful, unless you're the quarterback of course, but that is one position out of the other 22 that are on the field who are physically talented. Being physically talented is so much more important in football than it ever will be in basketball, and I can say that beyond just using reason, but from experience as well.

eagles_victory
06-17-2008, 01:17 AM
but baseball is the toughest to become a professional...also golf is much more difficult than any other sport how is baseball the toughest to become a professional?

Old Tiger
06-17-2008, 01:24 AM
in football over a million kids play HS football....thousands play college ball....only 236 get drafted

eagles_victory
06-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I had the basketball vs. football debate with one of my friends, and I still maintain the idea that football takes a more physically talented athlete than basketball. Shooting is a skill in basketball; you can be a great shooter and be great at basketball. You can be tall and have great touch under the basket and be great at basketball. You can be great at ball handling and passing and be great at basketball. Those are all skills that can be learned by anyone without a lot of great physical capabilities. To be a great running back in football, you have to have great footwork, speed, agility, stamina, and strength. The same applies to pretty much any other player on the field. You have to cultivate and train physically to be good at football, in basketball you just have to get out and practice at it to be good or great at it. Sure, you have to have stamina, endurance, and great leaping ability, but in basketball it's more about being skilled and talented at one or a couple of things, like shooting, dribbling, etc. Now while this isn't true about playing defense, if you look at the NBA it is hard to find a player who plays really tough and aggressive defense, and that's the truth. In football you're constantly training to get better because you have to be physically capable of playing the game in order to be successful, unless you're the quarterback of course, but that is one position out of the other 22 that are on the field who are physically talented. Being physically talented is so much more important in football than it ever will be in basketball, and I can say that beyond just using reason, but from experience as well. I disagree about basketball to be truly a great player you have to be able to do more then one skill. I mean what good is a shooter if he cant create his own shot or have the ability to move without the ball to get shots. I have played with big men with great touch but due to not enough physical strength they still weren't strong players.

You can sit here and argue all day and make valid points on both sides of the argument. But imo the most important thing about playing sports is your mental toughness you can run a 4.2 forty and be 250 and play RB and be terrible if you dont have the toughness and mantality sp? to hit the hole hard every play. Physical skills are nothing without the mental ability to put them to good use. Why this may not be the arugment at hand it doesnt matter what sport it is desire and perseverance can be the most important thing.

Im sure you can probably list ten athletes in each sport who overachieved and made the most of their abilities and had great careers even though their physical build and attributes dont suggest something of a great athletic career.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I disagree about basketball to be truly a great player you have to be able to do more then one skill. I mean what good is a shooter if he cant create his own shot or have the ability to move without the ball to get shots. I have played with big men with great touch but due to not enough physical strength they still weren't strong players.

You can sit here and argue all day and make valid points on both sides of the argument. But imo the most important thing about playing sports is your mental toughness you can run a 4.2 forty and be 250 and play RB and be terrible if you dont have the toughness and mantality sp? to hit the hole hard every play. Physical skills are nothing without the mental ability to put them to good use. Why this may not be the arugment at hand it doesnt matter what sport it is desire and perseverance can be the most important thing.

Im sure you can probably list ten athletes in each sport who overachieved and made the most of their abilities and had great careers even though their physical build and attributes dont suggest something of a great athletic career.

I never said that you could only be good at one thing and be a great player, just that you can be good at one aspect of it and still be pretty decent. My point can be made by Larry Bird...

Old Tiger
06-17-2008, 01:28 AM
I never said that you could only be good at one thing and be a great player, just that you can be good at one aspect of it and still be pretty decent. My point can be made by Larry Bird... Are you talking negatively about the greatest white man to ever play the game of basketball?

eagles_victory
06-17-2008, 01:28 AM
I never said that you could only be good at one thing and be a great player, just that you can be good at one aspect of it and still be pretty decent. My point can be made by Larry Bird... What about a guy like Steve Largent in the NFL?

BILLYFRED0000
06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by pooch
gifted athletes in all of those sports for sure, but nba with the most? your HSO, i reckon?!?

when I think of athlete I think of those who can crossover and still be pretty good in another sport....a la Bo jackson, Lance Armstrong, Tony Gonzalez

Yes I would have to go with that. Jim Thorpe is the all time best all around athlete this country has ever produced.

BILLYFRED0000
06-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Basketball vs football is a moot point. If anybody is a better athlete than Barry Sanders in Basketball prove it. It comes down to the individual. MJ may have been the best athlete ever in basketball with the most complete game. But when you watched
Barry Sanders and the things he could do you could say he was just as great.

jason
06-17-2008, 07:46 AM
To be a great running back in football, you have to have great footwork, speed, agility, stamina, and strength.

football players get a 30 second break between plays and most get breaks when their team is on offense or defense...

basketball need those same skills - only they need them on both ends of the floor on every play....

basketball players dont get a break unless something happens that causes a whistle to blow....

i bet the majority of basketball players have better stamina than most football players....

3afan
06-17-2008, 08:10 AM
.... the majority of basketball players have better stamina than most football players....

no doubt about that

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
football players get a 30 second break between plays and most get breaks when their team is on offense or defense...

basketball need those same skills - only they need them on both ends of the floor on every play....

basketball players dont get a break unless something happens that causes a whistle to blow....

i bet the majority of basketball players have better stamina than most football players....

I never questioned the stamina part, but in football you have to be explosive, strong, agile, and fast in order to be an asset to any team. The demand for athleticism is so much greater in the game of football than it is for basketball. Are you going to tell me that a marathon runner is more athletic just because they run and run and run? I don't think so.

eagles_victory
06-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Basketball vs football is a moot point. If anybody is a better athlete than Barry Sanders in Basketball prove it. It comes down to the individual. MJ may have been the best athlete ever in basketball with the most complete game. But when you watched
Barry Sanders and the things he could do you could say he was just as great. if your talking pure athletic ability jordan wasnt the best athlete to play basketball.

jason
06-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I never questioned the stamina part, but in football you have to be explosive, strong, agile, and fast in order to be an asset to any team. The demand for athleticism is so much greater in the game of football than it is for basketball.

we are going to have to agree to disagree - in no way does football require more athleticism than basketball...

basketball players require the same explosiveness to get to the basket, strength to get through defenders and people slapping at the ball, speed to play defense, and probably even more agility to twist their bodies to get themselves and the ball to the basket....

jason
06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
if your talking pure athletic ability jordan wasnt the best athlete to play basketball.

jordan was a clutch performer...

but lebron james is a better athlete than jordan...

BILLYFRED0000
06-17-2008, 11:15 AM
if your talking pure athletic ability jordan wasnt the best athlete to play basketball.
He was the best basketball player to play the game. To be a great athlete at any game you have to be great at the game. Otherwise you are a mediocre underacheiver. If you have all that talent why are you a less than spectacular player?

BILLYFRED0000
06-17-2008, 11:16 AM
jordan was a clutch performer...

but lebron james is a better athlete than jordan...

But MJ is the better player. And he has the mvp's all nba team awards and rings to prove it. And I do not even agree with Le Bron is a better athlete. When he gets all league defense and the scoring title a couple of times let me know.

3afan
06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
LeBron was an all-state receiver and track athlete in HS ... hence better 'athlete' -- whether or not he ends up a better basketball player than MJ remains to be seen

Buckeye1980
06-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
But MJ is the better player. And he has the mvp's all nba team awards and rings to prove it. And I do not even agree with Le Bron is a better athlete. When he gets all league defense and the scoring title a couple of times let me know.

Rings do not prove you are a better player, if that were the case than Kurt Rambis would be a better player than Charles Barkley

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-17-2008, 12:46 PM
we are going to have to agree to disagree - in no way does football require more athleticism than basketball...

basketball players require the same explosiveness to get to the basket, strength to get through defenders and people slapping at the ball, speed to play defense, and probably even more agility to twist their bodies to get themselves and the ball to the basket....

I suppose we are. Basketball is my favorite sport, and even though I am a damn good athlete I was never as good at basketball as guys who couldn't hold a candle to me as far as athleticism is concerned. Basketball takes more skill to be a great player and football takes more physical talent and capabilities to be a great player, that's the bottom line.

Big Papa
06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
I suppose we are. Basketball is my favorite sport, and even though I am a damn good athlete I was never as good at basketball as guys who couldn't hold a candle to me as far as athleticism is concerned. Basketball takes more skill to be a great player and football takes more physical talent and capabilities to be a great player, that's the bottom line.

i would agree with this with professional basketball from back in the day and even some high school still today.. but the game has evolved and i dont see that big of a difference in the two now as far as athleticism

BILLYFRED0000
06-17-2008, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Rings do not prove you are a better player, if that were the case than Kurt Rambis would be a better player than Charles Barkley [/QUOTE

But we all know that MJ was the prime reason they got those rings. Anybody knows that. He had the mvp,s first team defense how many times, the scoring title how many times etc.

As far as Le Bron being a great Highschool athlete that does not matter a bit.

CenTexSports
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
So after all of this discussion do we all agree that golfers and baseball players are the best athletes?

coach
06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
many might get drafted but how many actually make the pros??? how many stay on the mlb level and stay and be productive..and there are only 25 roster spots unlike basketball...and the hardest thing to do in any sport is hit safely...fotball has punters and kickers that needs no atheletic ability whatsoever to be productive...and basketball its about 70% atheleticism where in baseball it is skill practice and fundamentals to succeed but thats just my opinion and i know the majority on this board have never played baseball so they dont kow the tru aspect of the game...and with the same in golf....i hate when ppl say that golf isnt a sport..but thats a different story

BreckTxLonghorn
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
..and there are only 25 roster spots unlike basketball...

Only 25? In basketball there are only 12.

coach
06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
yeah thats true but like i also said...if ur athletic u can play..u very seldom have to work on fundamentals like u do in baseball to be a perinieal all star...u can have the ugliest shot in the league and still make it..ex. shawn marion...in baseball everything has to be perfect to perform they way you want to perform

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
There are 15 in basketball during the regular season

BreckTxLonghorn
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
yeah thats true but like i also said...if ur athletic u can play..u very seldom have to work on fundamentals like u do in baseball to be a perinieal all star...u can have the ugliest shot in the league and still make it..ex. shawn marion...in baseball everything has to be perfect to perform they way you want to perform

Not arguing for or against either. Just thought using roster spots in baseball to basketball in purely quantitive numbers and saying 'only' wasn't the best way to compare.

coach
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
that is true and as soon as i posted that i realized what i said...lol

BwdLions
06-17-2008, 02:50 PM
It's pretty hard to argue which sport is the toughest or which one takes the most athletic ability (between football, basketball and baseball). I know one thing, golf is not hard. I can't imagine getting paid to play golf. I know it takes great skill at it to make the tour, but I don't think you should mention it in the same breath as the three major sports.