PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley field ruled unfit for play

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey guys...been a few months since I have checked the site (well, since the last 3A football game, actually), and I didnt see any posts about our most recent problem...our field being inspected and judged as unfit for play. I could have sworn some other Wimberley posters would have mentioned it, maybe I just missed them?

Anyway, we apparently had an independent firm test the field its report said there are too many spots on the field where the impact would be above limits considered acceptable. The field is about 8 years old, which is awfully young, in my opinion. We just dont have the water supply here to go back to grass, so we will have to come up with close to $500,000 just to PATCH it, and much much more to replace it. The coaches are looking for an alternative for upcoming 2adays, with hopes of having it patched by Aug 15th.

I am pretty sure we will have to do it with donated funds, so we are in a pickle. Not sure how long it would take to raise such a large amount, but we dont have a choice.

Anyone else out there with turf have a similar problem? How long has your field lasted?

Old Green
06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Hey guys...been a few months since I have checked the site (well, since the last 3A football game, actually), and I didnt see any posts about our most recent problem...our field being inspected and judged as unfit for play. I could have sworn some other Wimberley posters would have mentioned it, maybe I just missed them?

Anyway, we apparently had an independent firm test the field its report said there are too many spots on the field where the impact would be above limits considered acceptable. The field is about 8 years old, which is awfully young, in my opinion. We just dont have the water supply here to go back to grass, so we will have to come up with close to $500,000 just to PATCH it, and much much more to replace it. The coaches are looking for an alternative for upcoming 2adays, with hopes of having it patched by Aug 15th.

I am pretty sure we will have to do it with donated funds, so we are in a pickle. Not sure how long it would take to raise such a large amount, but we dont have a choice.

Anyone else out there with turf have a similar problem? How long has your field lasted? Victoria ISD has the same problem with their field. The field has been stripped of the old surface and are getting ready to install the new one .

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Any idea how old the field is/was?

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 09:11 AM

Anyone else out there with turf have a similar problem? How long has your field lasted?

$500,000???

They might as well just get a brand new surface

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Emerson...I am not sure, but i think a new field would be 2 to 3 times that amount. I could be wrong on that though.

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2008, 09:14 AM
That bites! :(

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey LHPM...hope all is well with you and your family.

Yeah, it bites...add to it the recent funds issues we have had, and this is not good. We will figure it out, but i am really wondering if we got ripped off with the original field, or if we didnt maintain it right, or if this is about average? And if it IS about average, why are we just now finding out about it in June?

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Emerson...I am not sure, but i think a new field would be 2 to 3 times that amount. I could be wrong on that though.
Ours was installed last year and it was like $800,000. That was with two custom end zones which added some to the cost

http://www.tigerturfworld.com/na/news/texas-high-schools-find-tigerturf-more-grass-like-better-quality/

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks Emerson...interesting.

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I could have mistated the dollar amount...the "solution" would be between $400k and $500k, with a temporary solution being sought in the meantime. I assume by the term "solution" they mean a complete replacement...not sure.

firstdown
06-16-2008, 10:10 AM

We are putting new turf in this year. Demo of exisiting grass and irrigation then installation of new turf is just over
$ 800,000.00

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Firstdown...then maybe a full replacement (since we already have turf now) is in the $500k or less range.

TexanAlum_06
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah I remember hearing numbers floating around back in the day when they were installing the new field in Wimberley. our 7th grade football team. was the first team to play a game on that field. We beat Blanco like 54-0! haha. but anyway I remember hearing some of the coaches rumbling that it was going to cost in the ballpark of 800k for the new field. and that was 8 years ago. I didnt think they did a good enough job maintaining it. when we first had it installed they use to use machines on it all the time to even out the rubber and such. and then they quit using them my freshmen year. I was at the field a couple of weeks ago and I noticed how the field felt very hard and worn out... I hope they can get it fixed.

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey TexanAlum...how are U? Havent seen you around town in a while.

I am sure we will get this sorted out...in the paper over the weekend, it said there was even some sort of discussion between "community members and school board trustees" about cancelling the football season. HA! They might as well have discussed whether or not oxygen was needed in the classrooms this year.

TexanAlum_06
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Oh im doin good. Im sellin health and life insurance with my dad now. No more selling cars for me. haha. LMAO cancel football season?!?!?!?! wow. looks like some people are just trying to stir the pot in this town. This town thrives on rumors and drama between the school board and the community. They willl figure something out. My question is if indeed they decide to replace it. Can the work be done before the start of the season? Technically the field can still be played on. But now since there has been tests run on it and the results publicized, other school districts could refuse to play on it, or if one of their star players gets hurt on it and some parents blame it on the field. That could be a lawsuit waiting to happen...... Wimbo how are you doing? How's your brother?

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Everyone here is good...my daughters are doing great, Bryan and Megan are in Europe, Mikey is around town waiting for summer 2adays to begin, Tommy is in town for the summer too. All my brothers and sisters kids are doing well.

I would agree that we shouldnt allow play on the field with this problem. It wouldnt be the responsible thing to do. Remember, the report said it was one of the worst condition that one tester has seen...how can we justify playing on it with this knowledge? If it was college or pro's...well, maybe we could find a way around it with disclaimers or some other nonsense...but these are kids, not only our own, but from around the area. We are responsible for providing a safe environment for them just as much as our own kids. We must fix this or play in other stadiums until it is fixed. We have no choice, in my opinion...and I would not support playing on it at all in its present condition.

Tx Challenge
06-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I hope Wimberley comes up with a solution. I am sure they will. I always enjoy games there. Beautiful setting. Sometimes hostile, but still fun!

It would not be the same playing on a different field. Better have a plan in place soon though. Football is right around the corner

TexanAlum_06
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah I agree as well. I just dont know what other solutions are in the mix. cancelling football season is a joke. that wont happen. if they do decide to replace the field I dont know if it will be done in time. I remember when they installed the turf it seemed like it took them about 4 or 5 months to completion. I doubt it would take that long this time. there wouldnt be any foundation or drainage work. If it isnt done by the start of the season im guessing we would just move any early home games to a neutral site or away game until the field is finished? They must act quickly. What I dont understand, is how this problem could of gone unnoticed by everybody and why they didnt plan for this 2 and 3 years ago. From what im hearing it seems like the turf only has a life of about 8 years no matter what. how come nobody planned for this?:doh:

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
It gets funner to play on the older it gets if it's well kept. HP had the same turf for 10 years or so and it had flattened down and made me look really really fast

Phil C
06-16-2008, 01:57 PM
They also need to check out the field at San Diego, Texas to make sure it is safe. It used to be a dangerous place to play. Hopefully it has been fixed up.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey wimbo, how's it been going?

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Big Blue...how are you? You working for the summer, or in school?

orange machine
06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Nothing like a good grass field. I like the turf, but i think it is way overratted.

gold_33
06-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Wimberley was one of the first schools in the state to have the field turf installed back in '00-'01. Victoria had the same turf installed at the same time. Since then they have made upgrades with the new field turfs installed, so we pretty much just got the test dummy field and are having to replace it with the new turf. From what i've heard is that the whole field will be replaced for $400,000, if it passes next week, and should be finished by the first game barring any forseen delays.....rain=doubtful. We get alot of playoff games 2a and below because we are centrally located, that helps out the cost and the football team has been bringing in on avg about $100,000 a year due to the recent success. The new turf should have a life span of about 15 years so it should so it should pay off over that time.

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Nothing like a good grass field. I like the turf, but i think it is way overratted.
Grass is better if it's well kept. Cow pasture fields suck

orange machine
06-16-2008, 06:51 PM
True, nothing like playing football in a sand lot.

Panther One
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Do other teams with field turf practice on it on a daily basis?

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
We do. Even during off season soccer is on it every day

TexanAlum_06
06-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
Wimberley was one of the first schools in the state to have the field turf installed back in '00-'01. Victoria had the same turf installed at the same time. Since then they have made upgrades with the new field turfs installed, so we pretty much just got the test dummy field and are having to replace it with the new turf. From what i've heard is that the whole field will be replaced for $400,000, if it passes next week, and should be finished by the first game barring any forseen delays.....rain=doubtful. We get alot of playoff games 2a and below because we are centrally located, that helps out the cost and the football team has been bringing in on avg about $100,000 a year due to the recent success. The new turf should have a life span of about 15 years so it should so it should pay off over that time.

You know I was wondering if our turf was a little bit older design/style then some of the new stuff going in. I remember playing at victoria memorial stadium against West Colmbia and at Brownwood against Iowa Park and their turf was svery similar to ours except it was softer and the fake grass seemed to be of a different material. I also noticed that there wasnt near as much rubber on their fields either. maybe theirs is an upgraded field turf that is designed to keep its shape better and last longer? I remember them saying when they put our turf in that it was one of the first ones and a new design.... so they are voting on it next week? when did that news come out?

TexanAlum_06
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Panther One

yes our field is used every day for practice. the band uses it in the morning. jr high and little league use the field before and after high school practices.it is open all the time so any civilian can go down there. usually a lot of pickup football games at night and around this time of year a group of about 30 mexicans play soccer down there 2-3 nights a week. it is entertaining to watch them play! those guys get after it. haha. the field is used quite often. we do have a 50 yard practice field. but usually only the lineman use it for sleds and chutes (sp?). the practice field is to uneven and has to many holes to hold a whole practice up there. the field is used quite often by everybody. one of the reasons why the field is in such bad shape.

c-town_balla
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Just pray you don't get what they have at Nelson Field in Austin....it uses "sand" aka Gravel as the filler instead of rubber and it kinda really cuts you up

wimbo_pro
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by gold_33

Thanks Gold_33, you are obviously better informed about this than me. I hope you are right that its going to total only $400k (I cant believe i said "only"), but I wouldnt be surprised if it goes higher once all said and done.

JT44
06-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Victoria's field has become very rubbery, going to replace at about 350K I believe, Search the victoria advocate website, they had an article about it.

The place would be slippery with just a little humidity in the air.

3afan
06-17-2008, 08:04 AM
question .............. WHO inspected the field and ruled it "unfit" ???

wimbo_pro
06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey 3Afan! Hope all is well with you and yours.

I dont have the paper in front of me, but apparently it was an independent firm who does this kind of stuff for a living...the paper went out of their way to mention the firm has nothing to do with selling new turf, so they felt it was even handed.

I could see if i have the article, but maybe Gold-33 knows.

Emerson1
06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Is it field turf or astro turf?

wimbo_pro
06-18-2008, 05:44 PM
I am embarrassed to say I am not sure which type it is, maybe Gold_33 or TexanAlumni knows the answer.

Emerson1
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I am embarrassed to say I am not sure which type it is, maybe Gold_33 or TexanAlumni knows the answer.
Is it carpet turf or grassy turf?

Astro
http://www.gomustangsports.com/information/Facilities/Astroturf_full_field_good.jpg

Field Turf

http://www.ottostadium.com/images/fieldturf3a.jpg

wimbo_pro
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
I think field turf...but hell's bell's, I have only been on it up-close after a game!!! Guess I never looked down and checked it out that closely! hahaha

Help TexanAlumni!!

Emerson1
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
It's field turf according to TexasBob

slingshot
06-18-2008, 06:46 PM
It is Field Turf-like, not Astro turf (not sure which particular brand--there are several). It struck me as being worn down and very uneven in places when we played there two years ago when I walked out on the field before the game... can only imagine it is worse now.

TexanAlum_06
06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I think the technical word for it is "Astro Play"???? im not sure on that though. it is not astro turf like Texas Tech. it has the little grains of rubber and the fake grass that is maybe a 1/2 inch long..... like i said in an earlier post. it was one of the first fields installed in texas back in 2000-2001. cuz i remember every everybody that had the privelege of playing on it back then was like OMG... because barely anybody had it......im sure now they have made improvements in the qaulity/lifespan of the materials since then. because brownwood and victoria had the same type of field but theirs was a little softer and seemed like a better qaulity then ours. but their fields were newer then ours. which means they had updated versions/materials. The school board or whatever is supposedly going to vote next week on either temporarily fixing our field to make it through the season or totally resurfacing it before 2adays with a new field for around 400,000. They will get it fixed. they say they dont have the money to do it, but the school board has said that numerous times for other things but yet they always come up with it.... I cant believe the school board didnt plan for this 2-3 years ago. when we had it installed 8 years ago they were told by the company that the field would only last 8 years before it would need to be replaced......

etbu
06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Winbro you going to the Hardin Simmons Camp?

wimbo_pro
06-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by etbu
Winbro you going to the Hardin Simmons Camp?

Hi ETBU! No, I am not. I dont know anything about it...tell me more.

etbu
06-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi ETBU! No, I am not. I dont know anything about it...tell me more.

My bad bro bc got you mixed up with someone else. There was a father of a qb from Wimblery that use to go to the HSU camp and thought was you.

SNYDER325TIGERS
06-22-2008, 02:15 AM
snyder paid about $890,000 for the new suface which is being installed right now...we had around 8 inche in the past week and they were out there pumping all the water out of it, looked like a pond.

Ranger Mom
06-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
snyder paid about $890,000 for the new suface which is being installed right now...we had around 8 inche in the past week and they were out there pumping all the water out of it, looked like a pond.

8 inches of rain???????

That is so NOT FAIR!! I think we got about 1/2 inch in about a weeks time!!:mad: :mad: