PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I have an RCA MP3 Player that my computer refuses to recognize. The closest I've gotten I had the computer searching for the device and at the end of the search all I got was No Device Recognized. Any suggestions. I know Jason could probably fix this with about 2 keystrokes, but I'm not very savvy when it comes to these things.

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Did it come with software?

Plug it in and just hit cancel on anything that pops up, then see if it shows up under my computer.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2008, 07:36 PM
You may have to reinstall the firmware on the device itself. If you have to do that, search how to do it on Google and see if you can find a new copy of the firmware and how to turn the MP3 player on in restore mode. In past experiences this is what I have had to do, but it may be something completely different altogether. If you do this, worst case scenario you have to re-sync all of your music to it.

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You may have to reinstall the firmware on the device itself. If you have to do that, search how to do it on Google and see if you can find a new copy of the firmware and how to turn the MP3 player on in restore mode. In past experiences this is what I have had to do, but it may be something completely different altogether. If you do this, worst case scenario you have to re-sync all of your music to it.

I don't have any music to mess with yet. I could get it to recognize so I never bothered with getting any music. I have updated to the newest version of whatever it is that the RCA website told me to update and still nada. I'm gonna call customer service tommorow and see what they can do for me. If they can't fix it maybe they will send me a new one or something. IDK. Getting kinda pissed off.

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I don't have any music to mess with yet. I could get it to recognize so I never bothered with getting any music. I have updated to the newest version of whatever it is that the RCA website told me to update and still nada. I'm gonna call customer service tommorow and see what they can do for me. If they can't fix it maybe they will send me a new one or something. IDK. Getting kinda pissed off.

Did it not come with RCA's mp3 software to transfer music over?

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Did it come with software?

Plug it in and just hit cancel on anything that pops up, then see if it shows up under my computer. The software shows up, it's fine. The problem is that when I plug it (the actual mp3 player) into the USB port the computer fails to recognize what is plugged into it. The computer knows that there is something there, it just doesn't know what. I think I'm gonna have to do what Gary says.

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 10:04 PM
The software shows up, it's fine. The problem is that when I plug it into the USB port the computer fails to recognize what is plugged into it. The computer knows that there is something there, it just doesn't know what. I think I'm gonna have to do what Gary says.

So even with the software open it doesn't do anything?

Did you try looking around the software setting for something?

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
So even with the software open it doesn't do anything?

Did you try looking around the software setting for something? not sure what the software setting is

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 10:07 PM
not sure what the software setting is
The options, settings, how you want it to work. File>options or somewhere up there.

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 10:08 PM
The options, settings, how you want it to work. File>options or somewhere up there. let me take a look

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 10:13 PM
This reminded me to re-install the software for my Zen.

It said in the set up the drivers must be installed for the computer to recognize it, so you need to try and find the drivers for it probably

Blastoderm55
06-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Its not showing up under My Computer as a removable drive is it?

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Its not showing up under My Computer as a removable drive is it?
Go to RCA's website and download the drivers for it, that's what I am doing for mine right now

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Its not showing up under My Computer as a removable drive is it? I think it is.

Emerson1
06-15-2008, 10:35 PM
That is what mine is doing. I can drag and drop files luckily into it.

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Its not showing up under My Computer as a removable drive is it? Is this a bad thing?

Blastoderm55
06-15-2008, 11:09 PM
No, that'd be a good thing. A lot of mp3 players don't have executable programs for adding files, so you just have to drag and drop the desired files like Emerson mentioned.

GreenMonster
06-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I give up for tonight. No matter what I do, the fact that the device in unrecognized stops me cold. I can't reload the drivers because my computer doesn't recognize the device plugged into the USB. I've even tried to re-install the firmware with the same depressing result. I guess I'm left with only 1 option now, call RCA and see what they can do for me.

Emerson1
06-16-2008, 01:13 AM
What model is your MP3? You should be able to download drivers right off rca.com

3afan
06-16-2008, 06:23 AM
I think it is.

thats how mine shows up - drag & drop files to it, works fine

jason
06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
dont you kind of deserve this for buying an rca ???

you get what you pay for....

GreenMonster
06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jason
dont you kind of deserve this for buying an rca ???

you get what you pay for.... true true, I'm cheap. :D