PDA

View Full Version : Giddings qualifies State 7x7

Buffgal
06-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Giddings defeats Rice Consolidated in Championship game, advancing to state 7x7. Congratulations

Rice Consolidated also advances from Cuero Tournament.

44INAROW
06-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Congrats to both advancing teams.. We stayed until about 11:40 and had to leave - (grandmother duties) That tall WR from RC was a booger to defend against........ didn't get a chance to see Giddings - Mr44 said one game Giddings played in was really high scoring......

duckpluck
06-14-2008, 11:46 PM
So who is the QB for Giddings this year?

XMan
06-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Why does Giddings even have a 7 on 7 team? During the regular season they never even throw the ball. Does not make much sense to me.

Buffgal
06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Rice Consolidated WR (I believe #80) was very very hard to defend. His arms look like they are 4 1/2 - 5 ft long. He is well over 6' tall.
Yoakum had a very fast, disciplined team. Husky boys who played well together and were in very good shape. The heat began to take its toll on some teams stamina by the third game. Yoakum was still hustling.

Giddings rotated 3 QBs. Marcellus Mack, Lance Krause, and Rush Plumlee. Plumlee handled most of the QB duties @ this 7x7 tourney in Cuero. Another QB Trey Masek will rotate in for the Navasota 7x7 @ end of June as Plumlee will be playing baseball at the Red Raider Classic in Lubbock that weekend.

As far as Giddings even having the 7x7 and the lack of passing in our past football games, ......I kind of thought the same thing especially when they told me we were leaving @ 6 am BUT it keeps the kids together and having some summer fun. Then watching them play I started to change my mind about Giddings having a 7x7 team. From the talent I saw (receivers and QBs) Coach Fitz may just be drawing up some "air time". The past has shown that he certainly knows how to plan & capitalize on the talent that he has available. Lots of talent out there yesterday, a great accurate QB arm and speed/hands on the receiving end, 4 games, over 100 points scored. Looked pretty good to me, we'll see what develops in the fall. I'll just keep packing the ice chest.

CheerMom
06-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes, our #80 from Rice is a good receiver. If he can stay healthy this season he will be a threat. He is 6'5 and has great hands. Last season he missed several games, including some playoff games to a knee injury and went out early in the Semi-final game with a broken wrist. I'm so disappointed we ended up missing this tourney. Heard it was a good one. Congrats to both Giddings and Rice on advancing!!:clap: :clap:

Matthew328
06-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Why does Giddings even have a 7 on 7 team? During the regular season they never even throw the ball. Does not make much sense to me.

Even if you are a running team with all the spread offenses around 7 on 7 is GREAT work for your DBs...rules make the DB's really concentrate on their footwork since they can't chuck or jam WR's at the line, they have to work on breaking on the ball and good footwork...

Anytime you can have your kids together as a team and being competitive its a good thing so to me it makes perfect sense for Giddings to have a 7 on 7...

Congrats to both for making state, it's a great time but its HOT!

XMan
06-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Ive always heard that summer was time for baseball since the kids go to football all during the school year but I guess Im wrong. Football 365 days a year and no time to get better in baseball.

XMan
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
What kind of footballs do they use for 7 on 7???? The regular ones they use all year or some sort of different ball?

Matthew328
06-15-2008, 08:27 PM
its the same ball

For the most part kids can still do both baseball and football....I did both basketball and baseball in the summer so I don't think juggling is that tough to be honest.

7on7's are only on Saturday's and its not like they are every Saturday...most teams just do 2 or maybe 3 SQTs a year so its not that much time

XMan
06-15-2008, 09:36 PM
The boys buy some footballs and bring them with them to the games then I guess. Most of the 7 on 7 leagues that I have heard of play their games during the week with tournaments usually being held on the weekends. Its pretty much a fact that football coaches are trying everything to get their guys doing football year round. Football during the athletic period from Aug til May, powerlifting from Dec-Feb., track in the spring, and 7 on 7 during the summer. That pretty much fills the calendar and doesnt allow for much else the way I see it.

buff4life
06-16-2008, 01:12 AM
when i did 7 on 7 that was the reason they told me was for the defense to work against passing attacks...

charlesrixey
06-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Even if you are a running team with all the spread offenses around 7 on 7 is GREAT work for your DBs...rules make the DB's really concentrate on their footwork since they can't chuck or jam WR's at the line, they have to work on breaking on the ball and good footwork...

Anytime you can have your kids together as a team and being competitive its a good thing so to me it makes perfect sense for Giddings to have a 7 on 7...

Congrats to both for making state, it's a great time but its HOT!

i'm glad you said it-i didn't want to have to type out what would've been the exact same thing!

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by XMan
The boys buy some footballs and bring them with them to the games then I guess. Most of the 7 on 7 leagues that I have heard of play their games during the week with tournaments usually being held on the weekends. Its pretty much a fact that football coaches are trying everything to get their guys doing football year round. Football during the athletic period from Aug til May, powerlifting from Dec-Feb., track in the spring, and 7 on 7 during the summer. That pretty much fills the calendar and doesnt allow for much else the way I see it.
This is cracking me up! LH doesn't do the SQT's, but we do have weekly (Tuesday) games against Leander and have had for years! Several of our kids play summer baseball, summer basketball AND show up to the 7 on 7 games.

Since when did track become a "football players only" thing? :confused: :doh: