PDA

View Full Version : New school opening question

Emerson1
06-13-2008, 10:17 PM
If you didn't know, Forney has a new HS opening in 2009. I read that it will open with Sophomores and Freshman totaling 600 students. So in 2010 have Fresh-Juniors.

How will where they play varsity ball be decided? Do they average all the classes and add the number for a Junior/Senior class?

What I read said 3A, but I know Rockwall Heath was put right in 4a. They opened in time for realignment, so the situation seemed easier.

I think 3 classes alone should put it over 1000 students throwing them in 4a anyways, but I'm not sure how they are zoning the ISD.

*EDIT* I read that Varsity sports will start in 2011 once the school is filled and they are thrown into realignment.

But still, who will they play in 2009 and 2010. Could the football team at least still schedule varsity teams and play them in their non-district games, or do you HAVE to play JV teams.

Matthew328
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
They could play 1A and private school varsity squads

Emerson1
06-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I guess an HP JV would be just as good though

NastySlot
06-13-2008, 11:17 PM
im sure with the growth with other isd's in the dallas/ft worth area...they will be able to schedule new schools in the same type of situation......also some one mentioned small class schools and privates....but there are always large schools that field mutiple jv squads.

Bull Butter
06-13-2008, 11:35 PM
is that Fall 2011 or Spring 2011?

They will probably start the 2010-11 school year based on what their previous (09-10) enrollment was. Sort of like Kingwood Park playing as a 3A this past year even though their enrollment is now well past 3A numbers.

My guess is they will start out as a 2A, then move up to 3A when they have full enrollment

Emerson1
06-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
is that Fall 2011 or Spring 2011?

They will probably start the 2010-11 school year based on what their previous (09-10) enrollment was. Sort of like Kingwood Park playing as a 3A this past year even though their enrollment is now well past 3A numbers.

My guess is they will start out as a 2A, then move up to 3A when they have full enrollment
Full enrollment would be them well over 1000, 3 classes alone would put them 4a.

Bull Butter
06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
If they wont have full enrollment until 2011, then they wont be 4A until the 2012-13 school year

WOS87
06-14-2008, 12:31 PM
The UIL only allows new schools to enter in to regular district competition on realignment years so if the new school decides to join in the 2010 season when they have no seniors, they will multiply the enrollment of the 3 grades (9-11) by 1.33 to calculate the official UIL enrollment number. So from what's been said above regarding the number of students, it sounds like it will definitely start out as a 4A program.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/3a/formulas.gif

WOS87
06-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I just looked at the very last sentence of the image... how many students does Forney have? Any chance that they would drop back down to 3A from essentially being split in two?

If they are waiting to start varsity sports in 2011, the football team will have to play as an independent that season. They can play whomever they can get to schedule them. They just won't be allowed to compete in district or qualify for the playoffs until 2012.

A lot of teams schedule a mixture of JV teams (from larger schools) and actual varsity teams (from smaller schools) during those seasons.

Check out the following links to histories that include those initial seasons:

El Paso El Dorado (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/e/epeldorado.gif)

Lewisville Hebron (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/h/hebron.gif)

Emerson1
06-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
I just looked at the very last sentence of the image... how many students does Forney have? Any chance that they would drop back down to 3A from essentially being split in two?

If they are waiting to start varsity sports in 2011, the football team will have to play as an independent that season. They can play whomever they can get to schedule them. They just won't be allowed to compete in district or qualify for the playoffs until 2012.

A lot of teams schedule a mixture of JV teams (from larger schools) and actual varsity teams (from smaller schools) during those seasons.

Check out the following links to histories that include those initial seasons:

El Paso El Dorado (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/e/epeldorado.gif)

Lewisville Hebron (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/h/hebron.gif)
1800+

Turned in 1726, but my class of 350 is leaving getting replaced by a number well over 500.

The new school is expected to open with 600 between Freshman and Sophomores.

So they will go 4a

kaorder1999
06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
FROM THE DMN:

New Forney Athletic Director Elijah Melton, a former Southlake assistant AD, began working full time this week.

Melton said his priority will be Forney North, which is scheduled to open in the Fall of 2009. All sports but football will compete at the varsity level in its opening year. Football is slated to start a varsity schedule in 2010.