PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty question

Bull's-eye
06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Yesterday, I went to jury duty. I was serving on a trial where a man was ticketed for no insurance, no driver's license and also speeding. I was asked if the man was declared guilty, could I consider giving him the minium fine of $1? I said no and was struck from the jury. I felt if he was guilty, he should pay the normal typical fine ($100-$300). Would any of you even consider a $1 fine? If so, what would be your reason?

Emerson1
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Good advice, if you ever want to not do jury duty suggest something dumb(in their eyes) and get kicked off

sinton66
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I assume they were going to argue extenuating circumstances. Just because you agree to "consider" it, doesn't mean you have to agree and do it.

Bull's-eye
06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I assume they were going to argue extenuating circumstances. Just because you agree to "consider" it, doesn't mean you have to agree and do it.

True, but what kind of extenuating cicumstances would make a person even consider giving a minimum $1 fine?

espn1
06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
True, but what kind of extenuating cicumstances would make a person even consider giving a minimum $1 fine? I don't think that they would impose a $1 dollar fine. I think the principal is what they're trying to arrive at. Just to see where you stand.

sinton66
06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
True, but what kind of extenuating cicumstances would make a person even consider giving a minimum $1 fine?

That's just it, I'd have to hear it before doing that (and it would have to be one heck of an excuse). But if your mind is closed to the idea, they have NO chance with you, so a strike is logical.

Bull's-eye
06-12-2008, 11:23 PM
This man has no reason for being on our highways. He doesn't have a driver's license or insurance. Most likely he hasn't received any kind of training or has shown he can past our driving test. Even if it's some type of an emergency, he is threatening the lives of everyone else on the road. His best solution would be calling 9-1-1. IMO, our insurance rates would be lower if everyone driving were insured. I have heard of too many accidents where the driver at fault didn't have any insurance. I just can't honestly think of a situation where I would consider a $1 fine. I would like to hear a good reason.

LH Panther Mom
06-13-2008, 05:54 AM
The only reason I could see would be if he was driving due to an emergency situation.

charlesrixey
06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
if for some reason you had wanted to stay on jury duty, you could've just said that you were open to anything, but the circumstances would have to be known (obviously) before you make a judgment

granted, i don't know many people that would want to be on jury duty

eppy 12
06-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Yesterday, I went to jury duty. I was serving on a trial where a man was ticketed for no insurance, no driver's license and also speeding. I was asked if the man was declared guilty, could I consider giving him the minium fine of $1? I said no and was struck from the jury. I felt if he was guilty, he should pay the normal typical fine ($100-$300). Would any of you even consider a $1 fine? If so, what would be your reason? If it were my ticket!:thinking:

Bull's-eye
06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by eppy 12
If it were my ticket!:thinking:

That's the best reason I've heard! :clap: :clap: