PDA

View Full Version : 4 dead as tornado hits boyscout camp in Iowa this afternoon

trojan37
06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
This is breaking news that I just got off of stormtrack.com and also on CNN. A boyscout camp where a conference was going on took a direct hit from a tornado late this evening and destroyed the camp. 4 are reported dead and many injured. I don't know if it was some of the boys at the camp that were killed or not, it's still a developing story.

Tornado hits boyscout camp in Iowa (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/11/severe.weather/index.html)

LH Panther Mom
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
:( Many prayers, from a Scout family.....

D_bird
06-11-2008, 10:39 PM
That is just horrible news, prayers sent :(

44INAROW
06-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:( Many prayers, from a Scout family.....

absolutely tragic news - prayers for all concerned.. my husband and both his brothers are Eagle Scouts and tapped into Order of the Arrow - they went to their share of boy scout camps in their younger days - hard to believe something so horrific could happen to these young men at what should be a memorable time in their lives.. I hope and pray they have been spared :(

trojan37
06-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't know if it was from the same storm, but 2 stormchasers from severestudios.com sustained a direct hit from a rain wrapped tornado this evening as well, but they are o.k. They say the tornado spun their car 180 degrees as they were being hit with debris, and also knocked out there windows. They were very lucky as well. From what I understand the radar site they were looking at on their laptops had gone down, so their current view of the storm was inacurrate. They thought they were in a safe spot when in fact the tornado was on top of them and wrapped in rain, but they could not see it.

Maroon87
06-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I also heard that some buildings at Kansas St. sustained tornado damage.

Ranger Mom
06-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
I don't know if it was from the same storm, but 2 stormchasers from severestudios.com sustained a direct hit from a rain wrapped tornado this evening as well, but they are o.k. They say the tornado spun their car 180 degrees as they were being hit with debris, and also knocked out there windows. They were very lucky as well. From what I understand the radar site they were looking at on their laptops had gone down, so their current view of the storm was inacurrate. They thought they were in a safe spot when in fact the tornado was on top of them and wrapped in rain, but they could not see it.

From what I heard on GMA this morning.....it WAS the same storm!!

They said besides the 4 that died, there are 4 more in extremely critical condition with massive head injuries!!

Prayers to all!

carter08
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
that sucks.

i remember when we were at national jamboree a few years back, it rained. and some dudes got struck by lightning. and died.

actually, it wasn't lightning. but they died, and it was sad.

mustang04
06-12-2008, 10:48 AM
that actually happened about 35 miles away from where im working right now on turbines here in Iowa...the weather was pretty crazy here yesterday

trojan37
06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
CNN now confirming it was 4 scouts, 3 13 year olds and 1 14 year old. Prayers go out to all of their families. I also heard that the KSU(Kansas St.) campus nearly missed a direct hit last night, which could have been another tragic situation.

Johnny Utah
06-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Prayers sent. My father, myself, and two nephews are all Eagle Scouts. Great organization. The report said more scouts could have died if it were not for the fast reaction of many more scouts coming to their aid. Courageous young people for sure.

trojan37
06-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's a clip of the storm chasers being caught in the tornado just east of the boyscout camp. It's hard to make out on the video, but it spun their car 180 degrees.

tornado (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25117840#25117840)

zebrablue2
06-12-2008, 06:39 PM
prayers sent from bellville.. very sad indeed.

LH Panther Mom
06-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I also heard that some buildings at Kansas St. sustained tornado damage.
That's kind of scary, since I'll just be down the road from there part of this weekend.

solocam
06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Prayer sent