PDA

View Full Version : KS. man accidentally shoots himself in the head with a nailgun

trojan37
06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
That's not even the bad part. The doctor removed it with a sterile claw hammer. OUCH!:eek: the story.HERE (http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/658669.html)

ronwx5x
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
That's not even the bad part. The doctor removed it with a sterile claw hammer. OUCH!:eek: the story.HERE (http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/658669.html)

I am stunned to read there are 40,000 nail gun injuries per year and most are from do it yourselfers.

I'm guilty of ruining a finger with an electric hedge trimmer, but a nail gun? I wasn't even aware that many homeowners had a nail gun.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BobcatBenny
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I am stunned to read there are 40,000 nail gun injuries per year and most are from do it yourselfers.

I'm guilty of ruining a finger with an electric hedge trimmer, but a nail gun? I wasn't even aware that many homeowners had a nail gun.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ron, I had you pegged as the type with a nail in his head. :D

ronwx5x
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Ron, I had you pegged as the type with a nail in his head. :D

No room, full of rocks. I do have a pressure washer, a chain saw and a DeWalt cordless drill though.:cool:

STANG RED
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

There are lots of untrained do it yourselfers out there with tools that far exceed their knowledge and abilities. And often that money they are trying to save by not using a pro ends up costing them way more than they ever imagined. Often with tragic consiquences.
As a 30 year professional electrician, I have ran across many instances where homeowners (do it yourself) additions or repairs have put their families safety and well being at grave risk while trying to save a few bucks. Worse yet, they usually have no idea what kind of hazard they have created. And even worse still, they often sell the home and pass that hazard on to the next unsuspecting home owner. And many are hidden within walls, floors, and attics and home inspectors cant see them, even if they are good at what they do.

ronwx5x
06-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
There are lots of untrained do it yourselfers out there with tools that far exceed their knowledge and abilities. And often that money they are trying to save by not using a pro ends up costing them way more than they ever imagined. Often with tragic consiquences.
As a 30 year professional electrician, I have ran across many instances where homeowners (do it yourself) additions or repairs have put their families safety and well being at grave risk while trying to save a few bucks. Worse yet, they usually have no idea what kind of hazard they have created. And even worse still, they often sell the home and pass that hazard on to the next unsuspecting home owner. And many are hidden within walls, floors, and attics and home inspectors cant see them, even if they are good at what they do.

While I'm reasonably handy, I stay away from electricity and tall ladders. I can do repairs and a few mid-level projects but I know my limitations. I also tend to hurt myself too much, so I've learned my lesson the hard way and have the scars to prove it.
;) ;)

Ingleside Fan
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM
STUPID!!!!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :1omg!: :1omg!:

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 01:06 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/Nail.jpg:doh:

nobogey72
06-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Well, I'm guilty of all the above. However, I have a story that is far worse than this one about the guy with the nail in his head. It was one summer in college and I was using a nail gun on a project and I needed to urinate. There was nowhere to set the nail gun down so I tried to get it done while holding the nail gun, and, well, ......... anyway, it hurt a lot. :eek: :doh:

BobcatBenny
06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Well, I'm guilty of all the above. However, I have a story that is far worse than this one about the guy with the nail in his head. It was one summer in college and I was using a nail gun on a project and I needed to urinate. There was nowhere to set the nail gun down so I tried to get it done while holding the nail gun, and, well, ......... anyway, it hurt a lot. :eek: :doh:
Mrs. Bogey told me this story ... and she said, "With Bogey it definitely was not a big deal!" :D

STANG RED
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I saw a report on this at lunch. The man didnt shoot himself. It was his buddy that was helping him build a deck or something that actually shot him. In fact his buddy felt so bad, he went back and finished the project all by himself.
The doctor used a regular screwdriver and claw hammer to remove the nail. He said if the nail had been just one milimeter lower, it would have caused a lot of damage and maybe death. The man was very luck indeed.

nobogey72
06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Mrs. Bogey told me this story ... and she said, "With Bogey it definitely was not a big deal!" :D

She was right! With me, that nail was about like a needle stuck in a watermelon.:)

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Well, I'm guilty of all the above. However, I have a story that is far worse than this one about the guy with the nail in his head. It was one summer in college and I was using a nail gun on a project and I needed to urinate. There was nowhere to set the nail gun down so I tried to get it done while holding the nail gun, and, well, ......... anyway, it hurt a lot. :eek: :doh: c'mon man, high pressure air + nails, staples or anything with a point=:doh:

CenTexSports
06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I have worked at several plants that use nail guns to build frames around the products. Two workers have had boards nailed to their hand and arm. It looks like it would hurt a lot especially if you hit a bone.