PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason to hate Opera & New York

STANG RED
06-11-2008, 08:27 AM
'Brokeback Mountain' to premiere as opera in 2013
June 8, 2008, 1:07 PM EST
NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York City Opera commissioned Charles Wuorinen to compose an opera based on "Brokeback Mountain," the 1997 short story by Annie Proulx that became the basis for a 2005 movie that won three Academy Awards.

The opera is scheduled to premiere in spring 2013, City Opera said Sunday. It will be City Opera's second Wuorinen premiere, following "Haroun and the Sea of Stories," which was based on a Salman Rushdie novel and opened in October 2004.

"Ever since encountering Annie Proulx's extraordinary story I have wanted to make an opera on it, and it gives me great joy that Gerard Mortier and New York City Opera have given me the opportunity to do so," Wuorinen said in a statement.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a cowboy romance about two ranch-hand buddies who start a homosexual affair when they meet on the fictional mountain in 1963.
:doh: :rolleyes: :(

K-MAC Chuck
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Just shoot me now...PLEASE!:doh: :eek: :confused:

solocam
06-11-2008, 11:22 AM
sorry--- rump rangers

44INAROW
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Just shoot me now...PLEASE!:doh: :eek: :confused:
I know that's right..... mercy...........:rolleyes:

piratebg
06-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Well, I'd never go to an opera anyways. :D

carter08
06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I might as well jump in and defend the other side.

I know gay people. I don't like their lifestyle, but I don't judge them for it. There are millions of boy/ girl love stories. Sometimes, the other side needs a chance to have things thier way.

I'm not going to see The Brokeback Mountain opera. I didn't even see the movie. Frankly, i would probably puke to see two guys kiss.

But there are people who will want to see it. people who live the same lifestyle as them.

Bigots aren't going to go see it. So why care? Why ask to be shot? Why is this even making news.

Everything in the world isn't made for all of us.

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
so clay aiken and richard simmons will be employed again?:clap:

Ranger Mom
06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I might as well jump in and defend the other side.

I know gay people. I don't like their lifestyle, but I don't judge them for it. There are millions of boy/ girl love stories. Sometimes, the other side needs a chance to have things thier way.

I'm not going to see The Brokeback Mountain opera. I didn't even see the movie. Frankly, i would probably puke to see two guys kiss.

But there are people who will want to see it. people who live the same lifestyle as them.

Bigots aren't going to go see it. So why care? Why ask to be shot? Why is this even making news.

Everything in the world isn't made for all of us.

I chose not to see Brokeback Mountain because I don't agree with that lifestyle, and frankly, the thought of watching 2 guys kiss (and whatever else they do in that movie) sickens me....does that make me a bigot?

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I chose not to see Brokeback Mountain because I don't agree with that lifestyle, and frankly, the thought of watching 2 guys kiss (and whatever else they do in that movie) sickens me....does that make me a bigot? in california, yes. in texas no.

bandera7
06-11-2008, 01:48 PM
The big question is the billboard...will they be kissing on it? If so then it bothers me. If not, whatever. I know I wont be seeing it, regardless of how good it is supposed to be.

DDBooger
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
i see this becoming another "this is whats wrong with america today" thread lol who cares, let them do what they want, isn't like they're barging into you living room and puttin on a display haha I don't agree with a lot of lifestyles, but I have enough in my own life that I won't go out of my way to be insulted by another! besides the more gay men the better the percentage for us straight devils with the ladies! lol ;)

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i see this becoming another "this is whats wrong with america today" thread lol who cares, let them do what they want, isn't like they're barging into you living room and puttin on a display haha I don't agree with a lot of lifestyles, but I have enough in my own life that I won't go out of my way to be insulted by another! besides the more gay men the better the percentage for us straight devils with the ladies! lol ;) :clap: :clap: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/snot.jpg

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
The only thing that bothers me here is a predominant display of lack of understanding and compassion towards people who want to live their own lifestyle. None of you are perfect and sin free and this thread is nothing but some people showing how big of a hypocrite that they are. All sins are looked at the same in the eyes of God, and according to the Bible it is not up to any of you to try to point fingers and be the judge. I personally cannot say that I agree with their lifestyle choice but that is what being an American is all about. It may be disgusting but you all should be ashamed of yourselves for sticking your nose up in the air to someone who just wants life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like any of you do. It isn't up to any of us to point our fingers at anyone. I'm not saying that you're bad people for thinking that it's disgusting and against your morals, because I share those sentiments, but to stand up and try to tear down someone for following their beliefs and having their own morals just isn't right in any regard. Making fun of homosexuals is the racism of the 21st century.

BobcatBenny
06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The only thing that bothers me here is a predominant display of lack of understanding and compassion towards people who want to live their own lifestyle. None of you are perfect and sin free and this thread is nothing but some people showing how big of a hypocrite that they are. All sins are looked at the same in the eyes of God, and according to the Bible it is not up to any of you to try to point fingers and be the judge. I personally cannot say that I agree with their lifestyle choice but that is what being an American is all about. It may be disgusting but you all should be ashamed of yourselves for sticking your nose up in the air to someone who just wants life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like any of you do. It isn't up to any of us to point our fingers at anyone. I'm not saying that you're bad people for thinking that it's disgusting and against your morals, because I share those sentiments, but to stand up and try to tear down someone for following their beliefs and having their own morals just isn't right in any regard. Making fun of homosexuals is the racism of the 21st century.
Hey, your argument is well made, and certainly you are right that making fun of someone else's misfortune is wrong, but I would not compare homosexuality with race. Race is not a sin.

Making bad choices (sin) is what leads to death.

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
The only thing that bothers me here is a predominant display of lack of understanding and compassion towards people who want to live their own lifestyle. None of you are perfect and sin free and this thread is nothing but some people showing how big of a hypocrite that they are. All sins are looked at the same in the eyes of God, and according to the Bible it is not up to any of you to try to point fingers and be the judge. I personally cannot say that I agree with their lifestyle choice but that is what being an American is all about. It may be disgusting but you all should be ashamed of yourselves for sticking your nose up in the air to someone who just wants life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like any of you do. It isn't up to any of us to point our fingers at anyone. I'm not saying that you're bad people for thinking that it's disgusting and against your morals, because I share those sentiments, but to stand up and try to tear down someone for following their beliefs and having their own morals just isn't right in any regard. Making fun of homosexuals is the racism of the 21st century. i'm sorry,well said for a "college" person

DDBooger
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
The only thing that bothers me here is a predominant display of lack of understanding and compassion towards people who want to live their own lifestyle. None of you are perfect and sin free and this thread is nothing but some people showing how big of a hypocrite that they are. All sins are looked at the same in the eyes of God, and according to the Bible it is not up to any of you to try to point fingers and be the judge. I personally cannot say that I agree with their lifestyle choice but that is what being an American is all about. It may be disgusting but you all should be ashamed of yourselves for sticking your nose up in the air to someone who just wants life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness just like any of you do. It isn't up to any of us to point our fingers at anyone. I'm not saying that you're bad people for thinking that it's disgusting and against your morals, because I share those sentiments, but to stand up and try to tear down someone for following their beliefs and having their own morals just isn't right in any regard. Making fun of homosexuals is the racism of the 21st century. well said for any person! open minds, many people will generalize you for your designation as a college student, but your rationalization transcends any status! well put.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Hey, your argument is well made, and certainly you are right that making fun of someone else's misfortune is wrong, but I would not compare homosexuality with race. Race is not a sin.

Making bad choices (sin) is what leads to death.

Actually, in the time when slavery was predominant, it was looked upon with a negative connotation and was preached in churches that it was okay because "black was evil"...I'm not trying to say that being any race other than white is a sin, don't get me wrong, I meant only that gay bashing was the racism of the 21st century in regards to society singling out one group of people who happens to be different and try to tear them down and exclude them from society.

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
well said for any person! open minds, many people will generalize you for your designation as a college student, but your rationalization transcends any status! well put. had to use college, no ag-e stuff ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by eppy 12
had to use college, no ag-e stuff ;)

I will be the first to admit that I go to a college with a strong conservative foundation. Trust me, I have seen first hand how close-minded some of my fellow Aggies can be and it is disappointing. They're everywhere, but they don't call the home of the Aggies "Closet Station" for no reason.

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I will be the first to admit that I go to a college with a strong conservative foundation. Trust me, I have seen first hand how close-minded some of my fellow Aggies can be and it is disappointing. They're everywhere, but they don't call the home of the Aggies "Closet Station" for no reason. j/k blue.. nephew was kiked out of the corps for hazing several years back, it is a facinatingly political place no doubt. now, i would kick someone out for chaing a female cadet to a urinal as well but..........worse things were in animal house.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
j/k blue.. nephew was kiked out of the corps for hazing several years back, it is a facinatingly political place no doubt. now, i would kick someone out for chaing a female cadet to a urinal as well but..........worse things were in animal house.

Haha, nothing like a little fun amongst friends.

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Haha, nothing like a little fun amongst friends. yep, he ended up a marine drill sergeant, figure?:thinking:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 03:20 PM
yep, he ended up a marine drill sergeant, figure?:thinking:

I would have never guessed that outcome would have occurred, haha.

eppy 12
06-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I would have never guessed that outcome would have occurred, haha. ha! camp lejune loved seeing him coming;)

BobcatBenny
06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Actually, in the time when slavery was predominant, it was looked upon with a negative connotation and was preached in churches that it was okay because "black was evil"...I'm not trying to say that being any race other than white is a sin, don't get me wrong, I meant only that gay bashing was the racism of the 21st century in regards to society singling out one group of people who happens to be different and try to tear them down and exclude them from society.
Hold on now ... don't go talking all crazy ... and such. ;)

STANG RED
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM

It is a sexually perverse lifestyle plain and simple. And if those people that chose that lifestyle also chose to freely flaunt it in my face, then I also chose my right of freedom of speech as an American to voice my disgust with it. And if you do not believe that moral decay is not destructive to a society, you don’t know your history very well. Ours is not the first society in history to deal with this and other rampant immoral behavior. But those others fell apart and vanished many years ago. I have little doubt that such behavior will also bring this society crashing down someday as well, if we can’t somehow get the tide turned around. And I am not about to apologize for fighting against and pointing out this perverted moral behavior that brings about the ever mounting societal decay we are seeing today, nor am I willing to just accept that is what it is. I have much higher hopes for the future of our society, although I must admit I feel more and more like I’m fighting a losing battle every day. It takes much less backbone for a society to just become complacent and acceptable of anything than it does to make a stand against it. Personally, I chose to continue to stand strong against immoral perverted behavior, rather than take the easy way out and just accept it. If this makes me a bigot to some, then so be it. I can live with that.

BobcatBenny
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
... I chose to continue to stand strong against immoral perverted behavior, rather than take the easy way out and just accept it. If this makes me a bigot to some, then so be it. I can live with that.
You would only be a bigot if you hated people ... as opposed to their actions.

I understand and stand with you ... that treating homosexuality, a behavior, the same as race is a slippery slope ... and it just fuels the demise of our nation and way of life.

rockdale80
06-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I had a long reply but didnt want to get "ejected". I am with my brother on this one. You all know it is a sin to judge as well. Cast no stones....

think about it.

ronwx5x
06-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Disliking, being repelled by, and speaking against homosexuality are also protected rights. If by gay bashing you mean physically attacking, that's not a protected right, but these folks have every bit as much right to speak out against homosexuality as you have the right to speak out against gay bashing, whatever that is.

What you are speaking to is tolerance in the name of "political correctness". That is also a choice and included in freedom, but don't speak down to others who choose not to accept open homosexuality. Homosexuality is not illegal, but it is also not illegal to feel it is wrong.

Comparing it to slavery is just another "playing the race card" gambit and beneath all of us.

nobogey72
06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
My take on what BBDE was saying in relation to race and homosexuality is that hating homosexuals because of their lifestyle is no different than hating blacks because of the color of their skin. And furthermore, I think there is a big difference in hating a person and hating their actions.

Sweetwater Red
06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
And furthermore, I think there is a big difference in hating a person and hating their actions.

I agree. Hating a person for the skin color they're born with is
completely different than hating a person for the the lifestyle
they CHOOSE to live.

rockdale80
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I agree. Hating a person for the skin color they're born with is
completely different than hating a person for the the lifestyle
they CHOOSE to live.

Well that is the fundamental difference in this argument. There are those that believe that this is a lifestyle choice, and then there are people that believe that sexuality is predetermined. I think that it is predetermined and that is why I see the comparison to racism.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Love thy neighbor as long as he isn't gay.

Apparently you people missed the point and continue on with your rants about homosexuality, and that point was that:

A. You are not saints, so stop trying to act like the lifestyle that you live, the choices that you make, and the way you live your life is a model for someone else. Newsflash, it isn't. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you, you're supposed to be adults and be able to see that yourselves, but apparently you can't. You are not a model human being and you have done some things in your life and made choices that weren't something that you may be proud of today, but you were still given the freedom to make them. Now you want to sit back and classify others, tear them down and try to make them below you? Wow, arrogance at its finest.

B. Your morals are not the only morals that are present in this earth, and from the looks of it, they are based heavily upon Christian fundamentals. Once again, this is not a Christian nation, it was not founded upon Christian fundamentals, and Christianity is not the leading religion in the world. If you don't believe that, then that is up to you to do so, but the writers of our Constitution explicitly expressed that this is not a country built around Christianity. You can't be subjective and self-serving when it comes to history, no matter how hard you try to paint the picture otherwise. To elaborate on my first point, your morals are built upon what you believe to be right, but that isn't always the case. This is the same as having a taste in music, food, literature, or hobbies; it is YOUR choice and something that you can be self-serving about, but that does not mean that everyone has to share what you believe in. We have been born into a nation of followers and I have seen nothing but that.

C. I wasn't comparing homosexuality to slavery and for someone to interpret that is just accusatory and demonstrates a lack of reading and comprehension skills. My contention was that homosexuals are treated like blacks were during the civil rights movement in the 1960's and looked down upon with disgust and disdain by people who thought they were better and entitled to judge others. If you can't understand that comparison, I don't really know what to tell you other than just stay out of arguments that you simply don't understand.

D. Being tolerant of other people's beliefs is not lacking the backbone to stand up against it. Everyone has been so quick to judge and point the finger in disgust at something that is different from the status quo. Once again, we are born into a nation of followers and people think that we can't be dynamic as human beings or as a country. I am failing to understand how someone can show so little compassion towards someone who wants to live THEIR life the way that THEY want to.

A quick recap for those of you who have trouble understanding: You are not perfect, not in your ideals or fundamentals, so stop trying to project yourself as a superior individual when compared to someone who has a contrasting lifestyle; your morals are not superior to anyone's and regardless of what you may think, the morals of others, whether they be driven by religion or lack of, are their own to make regardless of what you, your clergyman, or your congressman has to say about it; it has been a trend in society to single out a group of people, whether it be by race, sex, or sexual orientation and discriminate against them, and in this case it is the gay community, before it was racial minorities; and finally, being tolerant does not reflect not having the testicular fortitude to stand up for what you believe in, but prudence, compassion, and acceptance in the face of opposing ideals can and will make you the bigger man.

Ranger Mom
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't HATE gays for their lifestyle choice nor do I HATE their actions.

I just personally don't believe it is morally right. I don't believe anyone is "born gay".

But, I would never confront or say anything to a gay person about how I feel, but I can't change how I feel about it either.

They don't need me to judge them.....God will do that in his own time!!!!

Also...will someone tell me what Gary wrote....it's just entirely too long to keep my attention!!

:)

nobogey72
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
:thinking: I'm sitting here wondering why it is that to me the thought of 2 guys kissing is repulsive, but I would pay good $ to watch 2 girls kiss. :D I must be weird or something.:confused:

rockdale80
06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Love thy neighbor as long as he isn't gay.

Apparently you people missed the point and continue on with your rants about homosexuality, and that point was that:

A. You are not saints, so stop trying to act like the lifestyle that you live, the choices that you make, and the way you live your life is a model for someone else. Newsflash, it isn't. I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you, you're supposed to be adults and be able to see that yourselves, but apparently you can't. You are not a model human being and you have done some things in your life and made choices that weren't something that you may be proud of today, but you were still given the freedom to make them. Now you want to sit back and classify others, tear them down and try to make them below you? Wow, arrogance at its finest.

B. Your morals are not the only morals that are present in this earth, and from the looks of it, they are based heavily upon Christian fundamentals. Once again, this is not a Christian nation, it was not founded upon Christian fundamentals, and Christianity is not the leading religion in the world. If you don't believe that, then that is up to you to do so, but the writers of our Constitution explicitly expressed that this is not a country built around Christianity. You can't be subjective and self-serving when it comes to history, no matter how hard you try to paint the picture otherwise. To elaborate on my first point, your morals are built upon what you believe to be right, but that isn't always the case. This is the same as having a taste in music, food, literature, or hobbies; it is YOUR choice and something that you can be self-serving about, but that does not mean that everyone has to share what you believe in. We have been born into a nation of followers and I have seen nothing but that.

C. I wasn't comparing homosexuality to slavery and for someone to interpret that is just accusatory and demonstrates a lack of reading and comprehension skills. My contention was that homosexuals are treated like blacks were during the civil rights movement in the 1960's and looked down upon with disgust and disdain by people who thought they were better and entitled to judge others. If you can't understand that comparison, I don't really know what to tell you other than just stay out of arguments that you simply don't understand.

D. Being tolerant of other people's beliefs is not lacking the backbone to stand up against it. Everyone has been so quick to judge and point the finger in disgust at something that is different from the status quo. Once again, we are born into a nation of followers and people think that we can't be dynamic as human beings or as a country. I am failing to understand how someone can show so little compassion towards someone who wants to live THEIR life the way that THEY want to.

A quick recap for those of you who have trouble understanding: You are not perfect, not in your ideals or fundamentals, so stop trying to project yourself as a superior individual when compared to someone who has a contrasting lifestyle; your morals are not superior to anyone's and regardless of what you may think, the morals of others, whether they be driven by religion or lack of, are their own to make regardless of what you, your clergyman, or your congressman has to say about it; it has been a trend in society to single out a group of people, whether it be by race, sex, or sexual orientation and discriminate against them, and in this case it is the gay community, before it was racial minorities; and finally, being tolerant does not reflect not having the testicular fortitude to stand up for what you believe in, but prudence, compassion, and acceptance in the face of opposing ideals can and will make you the bigger man.

:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
06-11-2008, 04:14 PM
:thinking: I'm sitting here wondering why it is that to me the thought of 2 guys kissing is repulsive, but I would pay good $ to watch 2 girls kiss. :D I must be weird or something.:confused:

I had a cousin who was gay, we were 2 months apart in age. (He committed suicide about 10 years ago).

Anyway, we were very close so I would ask him about his gay lifestyle from time to time.

I remember saying to him one time....."The thought of kissing or sleeping with a girl makes my skin crawl.". In which he responded, "I know exactly how you feel...the thought of kissing or sleeping with a girl makes my skin crawl too!!":eek: :eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 04:15 PM
To clarify, blacks were discriminated against because they were different, not because they were simply "black." My point was that homosexuals are being attacked now because they too are different and stand out from what people think is acceptable. People used to think that black people were below whites, even though there isn't anything to prove that assertion, there is no difference between the genetic make-up of a white person or a black person, or any other race for that matter. With this in mind, they were simply a different color and were looked at in a negative light because of it, regardless of whether or not they were inherently good people. I feel like the same thing applies for people in the gay community, as they are shunned by society because they go against the morals that are projected by this nation of followers just because of their lifestyle choice. If you look back in the course of history, it was first women who were discriminated against, then when other races came into play it was them, and now that the dust has settled from all of that, now it is homosexuals. This just goes to show that we are always looking to put someone below ourselves to build ourselves up and feed our massive egos. It's really shameful if you think about it.

44INAROW
06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Also...will someone tell me what Gary wrote....it's just entirely too long to keep my attention!!

:)

I am still trying to figure out who "YOU PEOPLE" are;)

Ranger Mom
06-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Oh wow!! You haven't got very far then, have ya??:p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

The people who are gay-bashers and hate homosexual people. ;)

nobogey72
06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
To clarify, blacks were discriminated against because they were different, not because they were simply "black." My point was that homosexuals are being attacked now because they too are different and stand out from what people think is acceptable. People used to think that black people were below whites, even though there isn't anything to prove that assertion, there is no difference between the genetic make-up of a white person or a black person, or any other race for that matter. With this in mind, they were simply a different color and were looked at in a negative light because of it, regardless of whether or not they were inherently good people. I feel like the same thing applies for people in the gay community, as they are shunned by society because they go against the morals that are projected by this nation of followers just because of their lifestyle choice. If you look back in the course of history, it was first women who were discriminated against, then when other races came into play it was them, and now that the dust has settled from all of that, now it is homosexuals. This just goes to show that we are always looking to put someone below ourselves to build ourselves up and feed our massive egos. It's really shameful if you think about it.

You don't honestly think that the "dust has settled" concerning racism and sexism do you? I think our nation as a whole has become more "polished" about race and women, but I'm not sure that deep down in the hearts of people that much has changed. How many people do you think in the privacy of their own home or among their closest friends have had the thought in the past year: Oh great, look at the choice we have for a Democratic nominee. A woman or a N. I have heard people that I thought were fairly level-headed make this exact comment.

Ranger Mom
06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Y'all had to know this was coming!!:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
You don't honestly think that the "dust has settled" concerning racism and sexism do you? I think our nation as a whole has become more "polished" about race and women, but I'm not sure that deep down in the hearts of people that much has changed. How many people do you think in the privacy of their own home or among their closest friends have had the thought in the past year: Oh great, look at the choice we have for a Democratic nominee. A woman or a N. I have heard people that I thought were fairly level-headed make this exact comment.

No, I cannot say that I truly do, but people are looking to move onto other things. How many of the people on this thread who are gay bashing also consider themselves racist? That would be a good question answered, and I think many would truthfully say no...I voted for Hillary just because Barack is shady regardless of his skin color and I do not anticipate voting in the upcoming presidential election because I like neither candidate.