PDA

View Full Version : 5A vs. smaller classifications

Buckeye80
11-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Look, let me start this out by saying that you folks in Burnet have an amazing football team that barring some unforeseen miracle will probably win state this year. Having said that, there are some who absolutely feel that the Burnet squad could compete at the class 5A level. No you couldn't. I'm not saying that smaller schools cannot win vs. larger schools; God knows it happens all the time. I'm saying that when you get to the 4A and 5A level, it is an entirely different "ballgame". In the upper echelon 4A and 5A schools, every kid on the team is an athlete. They have more kids to choose from, and thus produce exceptional teams through a process of elimination. Stepping up one classification to play games, you really don't see that drastic of a difference (IE 1A vs. 2A, 3A vs. 4A). But, and I mean absolutely no disrespect by this, and I'm just using Burnet as an example, if the Burnet Bulldogs stepped onto the field against the Lufkin Panthers or the Longview Lobos, they would get pulverized! It's only a matter of having a larger and more diversified talent pool to choose from. That's why I disagree with most of the ranking on that "statewide, all classifications" site. At #88, I still don't think Gilmer could beat most of the 5A teams ranked below them.
I'm just putting out an opinion here, and I honestly am not putting down Burnet or anyone else's program. I wish the best of luck to all 3A teams, because 3A is truly the only class that I love!!!!

sahen
11-11-2003, 05:47 PM
true...Northshore has runningbacks or atleast they did a couple years ago bigger than most 3a's schools linemen and faster than the 3a backs...plus the defenses for 5a are stronger and quicker everywhere...the talent is just better cause they have more to pick from...

bulldogvet85
11-11-2003, 05:50 PM
ok I think you are right as far as it being a diffrent level diffrent type of setting. But I think burnet is one of the few teams that I have seen that can hang with some small 5a teams. i thinkthat size wise burnet compares to most 5a schools. The only thing that i think that would really hurt them is the numbers. look burnet beat Austin Regan i think is what it was. they were a 4a team who knows what they are ranked and if they even made the playoffs. that could be a bad example but I honestly think that burnet has the ability to take some smaller 5a schools. they have the speed no doubt. They have a QB that is better than most 5a schools anyway. He can throw better and run better and is just taller than what you may find in some 5a schools. D-line and O-line wise they match up with most of the 5a schools I have watched play. I'm not saying burnet can go outthere and kill some of these teams but what i am saying is that burnet can get on that field and if not win hang in there and make it a great game against some of these smaller 5a schools. I am also not saying that they will beat all the ones ranked lower than them. I'm just saying that it is possible for them to beat some 5a schools.

rholl
11-11-2003, 05:54 PM
so why do 3a teams Burnet, Everman etc. schedule and beat 4a teams in non-district on a regular basis??? Everman played Eastern Hills and Crowley this yr and beat them both as well as the same two teams last yr. Also in 2000 and 2001 they played and beat Waxahachie. I don't know who Burnet and Forney played in non-district the past couple of yrs but I'm sure someone here can post a list of wins those 2 teams have over 4a clubs also!!!

Buckeye80
bulldogvet85:
ok I think you are right as far as it being a diffrent level diffrent type of setting. But I think burnet is one of the few teams that I have seen that can hang with some small 5a teams. i thinkthat size wise burnet compares to most 5a schools. The only thing that i think that would really hurt them is the numbers. look burnet beat Austin Regan i think is what it was. they were a 4a team who knows what they are ranked and if they even made the playoffs. that could be a bad example but I honestly think that burnet has the ability to take some smaller 5a schools. they have the speed no doubt. They have a QB that is better than most 5a schools anyway. He can throw better and run better and is just taller than what you may find in some 5a schools. D-line and O-line wise they match up with most of the 5a schools I have watched play. I'm not saying burnet can go outthere and kill some of these teams but what i am saying is that burnet can get on that field and if not win hang in there and make it a great game against some of these smaller 5a schools. I am also not saying that they will beat all the ones ranked lower than them. I'm just saying that it is possible for them to beat some 5a schools.And I totally agree with that. There are 5A programs in this state that play at a lower 3A level due to coaching or whatever. Two or three years ago, Diboll (3A) beat Carthage (4A), and Carthage had just hammered Nacogdoches (5A). I'm not saying at all that Burnet couldn't win against some 5A teams. It's just the upper echelon schools of 4A and 5A that I feel they would have a very difficult time against.

sahen
i think he was referring to burnet vs. the lufkins, woodlands, and other state powers...not the little 5a schools..i graduated from sterling in baytown and i would bet a ton of 3a's could beat them...but the other highschool in baytown (lee) probably couldnt be beat by a 3a school...

3afan
11-11-2003, 06:37 PM
bulldogvet85:
ok I think you are right as far as it being a diffrent level diffrent type of setting. But I think burnet is one of the few teams that I have seen that can hang with some small 5a teams. i thinkthat size wise burnet compares to most 5a schools. The only thing that i think that would really hurt them is the numbers. look burnet beat Austin Regan i think is what it was. they were a 4a team who knows what they are ranked and if they even made the playoffs. that could be a bad example but I honestly think that burnet has the ability to take some smaller 5a schools. they have the speed no doubt. They have a QB that is better than most 5a schools anyway. He can throw better and run better and is just taller than what you may find in some 5a schools. D-line and O-line wise they match up with most of the 5a schools I have watched play. I'm not saying burnet can go outthere and kill some of these teams but what i am saying is that burnet can get on that field and if not win hang in there and make it a great game against some of these smaller 5a schools. I am also not saying that they will beat all the ones ranked lower than them. I'm just saying that it is possible for them to beat some 5a schools.there are many 3A teams that could destroy many 5A teams - its like that every year. and some that could compete with the good 5A teams - there are some every year. its just so difficult to compare 3A to 5A and impossible to predict. but of course some 3A could beat some 5A ................

xlr8tor
11-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Buckeye80:
Look, let me start this out by saying that you folks in Burnet have an amazing football team that barring some unforeseen miracle will probably win state this year. Having said that, there are some who absolutely feel that the Burnet squad could compete at the class 5A level. No you couldn't. I'm not saying that smaller schools cannot win vs. larger schools; God knows it happens all the time. I'm saying that when you get to the 4A and 5A level, it is an entirely different "ballgame". In the upper echelon 4A and 5A schools, every kid on the team is an athlete. They have more kids to choose from, and thus produce exceptional teams through a process of elimination. Stepping up one classification to play games, you really don't see that drastic of a difference (IE 1A vs. 2A, 3A vs. 4A). But, and I mean absolutely no disrespect by this, and I'm just using Burnet as an example, if the Burnet Bulldogs stepped onto the field against the Lufkin Panthers or the Longview Lobos, they would get pulverized! It's only a matter of having a larger and more diversified talent pool to choose from. That's why I disagree with most of the ranking on that "statewide, all classifications" site. At #88, I still don't think Gilmer could beat most of the 5A teams ranked below them.
I'm just putting out an opinion here, and I honestly am not putting down Burnet or anyone else's program. I wish the best of luck to all 3A teams, because 3A is truly the only class that I love!!!!I believe it to be generally true that a 3A team couldn't stay very close with a 5A team. But, the better 3A teams could probably beat, maybe even handily the bottom end of the 5A teams. I believe there are exceptions to this rule. I believe Burnet is such an exception. Even against a top 10 5A team, I believe Burnet could hang within 2 or 3 TD's. I don't think anybody from 5A on down could "pulverize" Burnet. Burnet has a large enrollment for a 3A and could be 4A in the next few years if not sooner. They have already proven that they can compete and even dominate certain 4A schools, even if those schools aren't the upper echelon of the 4A level. Of course, these exceptions become more rare as you move down to smaller classifications. I don't believe that there are any 2 or 1A teams that could stay within 30 or 40 points of the top 5A teams. This, in my opinion can be seen in other sports as well. For instance, last year, the girls basketball team from Canyon (3A), I firmly believe could have stayed on the court with any 5A girls team in the state. But again that is the exception. So, could a team like Burnet beat a top 10 5A team, I doubt it. But, it would be a good game, and wouldn't be a blowout. We really don't know though, and never will, pure speculation. I have said I believe in this post a lot, meaning, just my take.

PPHSfan
11-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Burnet as a whole might not be able to play with all of 5A, but they could play with a bunch of it.

Also, Burnet has at least 5 kids on their team that would be starters in any highschool league.

<small>[ November 11, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

cc700
11-11-2003, 07:39 PM
I THINK ENNIS WOULD WIN ANY CLASS 1A-5A.I BET THEY WOULD HAMMER BURNET.

PPHSfan
11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
cc700:
I THINK ENNIS WOULD WIN ANY CLASS 1A-5A.I BET THEY WOULD HAMMER BURNET.How would you know?
Earlier today you crawled out from under your rock and asked for info on arguably the best 3A team in the State.

Nobody is going to give your opinon the time of day, as a matter of fact, I can't believe I spent this much time talking to you. :D

Ranger Mom
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
4-A Andrews beat two 5-A schools this year - Midland High and Odessa High. Greenwood played Andrews the closest game they have had all year.
So, IMO, sure there are some 3-A teams that could beat 5-A teams.

sahen
11-11-2003, 08:58 PM
I dont think the original arguement was that 3a schools couldnt play w/ the average to bad 4a and 5a schools...i think it was that they couldnt compete with the state contenders in 4a and 5a? oh yeah im finally varsity and not a scrub!

<small>[ November 11, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: sahen ]</small>

Buckeye80
11-11-2003, 09:00 PM
sahen:
I dont think the original arguement was that 3a schools couldnt play w/ the average to bad 4a and 5a schools...i think it was that they couldnt compete with the state contenders in 4a and 5a? oh yeah im finally varsity and not a scrub!May I offer you congratulations Sir. I myself achieved "varsity" status just last week.

sahen
11-11-2003, 09:05 PM
wow...u gotta have 75 posts to be varsity and u have 200 that is a lotta post in one week and thanks!

GreatBigBurnetFan
11-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi Buckeye,
I think your basic thought is correct.
1. Burnet didn't develop that rating.
2. When you take the skill people, Burnet is
equal to or better, in this vein of thought.
3. Example, this summer at the 7 on 7 state championship tourney, Burnet DEFEATED 5 5A teams
including Southlake Carroll. Once again I think
your ideal is correct. It manifested itself in
the state championship game. Burnet was defeated by Odessa Permian. Was Permian better, personal wise, NO WAY! Three of Burnet's personel, Jordan Shipley, Cody Warner, and another went both ways.
In the championship game they played 4 games that day. The temp was over 100 degrees. They had 2 hours to rest. First play of the game Burnet bombed Permian, TD! As the game wore on Permian was able to platoon and won the game. Burnet can't
platoon, any 5A can. Does that mean Burnet is not as good personel wise as Permian, absolutely not!
It means, as you said, that a 5A team has more depth. Could Burnet line up against a good 5A team
and win, not only yes but heck yes! If it is a
110 degrees and late in the game can the 5A team make a comeback, sure.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2003, 10:40 AM
My quick take on this one as I played 5A football at Arlington Martin. The 5A schools don't have many if any at all two way players. Our team had 1 that played both D-line and O-line. He received a DI ride. That is really the big difference as so many have mentioned before there are a lot of really good athletes in the 5A ranks. The 5A teams probably have more left in the tank at the end of a game.

Food for thought: But look at track as an example some kids that go to smaller schools (3A) are faster than kids that go to bigger schools (5A). Those same kids probably play both ways in football because they are the best player to put out there.

With that being said, a good 3A team can compete with a 4A or 5A school even with two way starters as long as they are conditioned. Nondistrict games prove this. Burnet is a special team this year. Everman has been a special team the past two years and I do think that they can compete and beat some good 5A schools.