View Full Version : Donaghy:Rockets-Mavs in '05 was fixed

Bull Butter
06-11-2008, 07:19 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5830586.html

Ex-ref: Rockets' '05 series was fixed
League calls Donaghy's letter a veiled ploy for lenient sentencing

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Disgraced former referee Tim Donaghy charged Tuesday that NBA officials encouraged league referees to influence the results of playoff series, including the Rockets' 2005 series against Dallas.

Donaghy made the allegations in a letter filed with the court by his lawyer. He did not specify teams in the letter, but he described the situation of the series in which Dallas owner Mark Cuban complained of illegal screens set by Yao Ming.

Donaghy, 41, pleaded guilty to felony charges of betting on games and taking cash payoffs from gamblers in exchange for providing privileged information. He faces up to 33 months in prison, with sentencing scheduled for July 14.

In the letter to federal Judge Carol Bagley Amon, Donaghy's legal team argued that Donaghy "provided key information regarding game manipulation by referees." Donaghy's lawyer, John Lauro, has suggested his client deserves credit for coming forward before he was charged to disclose behind-the-scenes misconduct in the NBA.

In a statement, the NBA described Donaghy's charges as inaccurate and designed to lighten his sentence.

"According to Mr. Donaghy, all of his allegations have previously been made to the FBI and the U.S. Attorney, and they are clearly being disclosed now as part of his desperate attempt to lighten the sentence that will be imposed for his criminal conduct," NBA executive vice president and general counsel Richard Buchanan said. "The NBA remains vigilant in protecting the integrity of our game and has fully cooperated with the government at every stage of its investigation."

Donaghy's counsel, however, described the scenario of the 2005 first-round series in which former Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he had been told by an NBA executive that officials would be watching for moving screens. Van Gundy was fined $100,000 for not revealing the source of his information.

"Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's owner complained to NBA officials," the letter said. "Team 3's owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. The referees followed the league's instructions and Team 3 came back from behind to win the series. The NBA benefited from this because it prolonged the series, resulting in more tickets sold and more televised games."

The letter also charged that officials manipulated a series in 2002 to go seven games. The Western Conference finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings included a controversial Game 6 won by the Lakers when they took a large number of free throws.

"The referees' favoring of Team 6," the letter charged, "led to that team's victory that night and Team 6 came back from behind to win the series."

The NBA described the information cited in the filing as previously investigated.

Speaking before the start of Tuesday night's NBA Finals Game 3 in Los Angeles, NBA commissioner David Stern called the allegations baseless.

"He's looking for anything that will somehow shorten the sentence, and it's not going to happen," Stern said.

crzyjournalist03
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
wasn't that the series where the Mavs set an NBA record for largest margin of victory in game seven?

Txbroadcaster
06-11-2008, 09:12 AM
not real sure what he is talking about is actually "throwing" a series

Sounds liek to me, Cuban might have had a legit gripe the NBA agreed and told the refs to make sure they really watched for illegal screens, that is not throwing anything, that is the officals adjusting to the flow of the game

charlesrixey
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
not real sure what he is talking about is actually "throwing" a series

Sounds liek to me, Cuban might have had a legit gripe the NBA agreed and told the refs to make sure they really watched for illegal screens, that is not throwing anything, that is the officals adjusting to the flow of the game

I agree--the point of cuban's argument was to get the league to enfore the ruls in the first place

Bull's-eye
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Houston had won the first 2 games on the road vs Dallas, when Cuban started complaining about illegal screens. JVG got word from another official that the NBA was going to target Yao. JVG didn't give up his source and was fined $100,000. Watch the 2nd play on this youtube clip and you will see what they are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY8qGHU52E&eurl=http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=149625&page=2&pp=20

Bull's-eye
06-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Watch the last play of the clip and you will see Finley steal the ball while he is standing out of bounds. Kind of makes you think if something fishy was going on?

JasperDog94
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I remember that series all too well.:(

coach
06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
well since all the rocket fans are complaining..i will...what about the 06 finals...think the nba had anything to do with wade and company winning that series

JasperDog94
06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by coach
well since all the rocket fans are complaining..i will...what about the 06 finals...think the nba had anything to do with wade and company winning that series coach,

What is your definition of "all"?:doh: :hand: :hand:

coach
06-12-2008, 06:02 PM
jasper dog,

every living creature that has ever cheered for the rockets...

sincerely,
coach

JasperDog94
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
every living creature that has ever cheered for the rockets... Then please show me where I was complaining.

coach
06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Then please show me where I was complaining.

im sorry j dog i was just trying to make a statement that since rocket fans were complaing then i would complain..sorry i didnt mean to get ur panties in a wad...

JasperDog94
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
im sorry j dog i was just trying to make a statement that since rocket fans were complaing then i would complain..sorry i didnt mean to get ur panties in a wad... No waddage here. But thanks for your consideration.

You just made a blanket statement and it's waaaaay too hot for blankets right now.:D

zebrablue2
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
jasper dog,

every living creature that has ever cheered for the rockets...

sincerely,
coach

:stirpot:-- one of them are you..? I cheered for the rockets, # 1. I also cheer for the spurs and the mavs. They are all from the great state of Texas, which is where I was born and raised. Who ticked you off enough to hate our rockets????:hand:

LH Panther Mom
06-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Watch the last play of the clip and you will see Finley steal the ball while he is standing out of bounds. Kind of makes you think if something fishy was going on?
:2thumbsup :iagree:

eagles_victory
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
The real reason the Rockets didnt win is because they have T-Mac everyone knows he cant get out of the first round even though he mistaken thought he did one time

Bull's-eye
06-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't think T-Mac has ever been on a team that was seeded higher than a 4th seed. I would worry more about being a #1 seed and getting bounced in the first round by an 8th seed.

Emerson1
06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
No, I would be more worried about NEVER making it out of the first round.

Bull's-eye
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Or never ever winning a championship.

Emerson1
06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Or never ever winning a championship.
Ha, i figured you would say that.

I guess that thinking would make the cowboys the best team in the NFL right now since they were good 12 years ago.

Bull's-eye
06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Ha, i figured you would say that.

I guess that thinking would make the Cowboys the best team in the NFL right now since they were good 12 years ago.

They did have the best record in the NFC, but best team would be the Super Bowl Champions NY Giants. I would say a team should be measured on what they are currently doing, but you can never take away a team's past accomplishments.

crzyjournalist03
06-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
No waddage here. But thanks for your consideration.

You just made a blanket statement and it's waaaaay too hot for blankets right now.:D

So you admit that you wear panties??? :D :p

JasperDog94
06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
So you admit that you wear panties??? :D :p huh?....errrr....what?...:doh:

maybe....;)