PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who know MMA/Boxing better than me

eagles_victory
06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I was watching some of the Kimbo Slice fights on youtube and he was just punching. Why didnt they try to make him into a boxer instead of an MMA fighter? I understand MMA is growing and boxing is dying so the money long term may be better but wouldnt it be a lot easier to make him a boxer? Again like I said dont know much about MMA so hope its not to stupid of a question

Emerson1
06-10-2008, 07:33 PM
That is what I thought. He is better suited punching than being in a 10 minute hump fest

DU_stud04
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
he doesn't have any technique....thats why he's in the mma :D :evil:

plus.... he's a street fighter.... more of a feel for the mma than the sweet science.

jlg043
06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

plus.... he's a street fighter.... more of a feel for the mma than the sweet science.

exactly. Kimbo aint a boxer he is a street fighter. MMA is for fighters like him. Either way tho Kimbo is a monster and would dominate in either one I think. If he would have gotten popular in the early 90's he would be a boxer!

DU_stud04
06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
exactly. Kimbo aint a boxer he is a street fighter. MMA is for fighters like him. Either way tho Kimbo is a monster and would dominate in either one I think. If he would have gotten popular in the early 90's he would be a boxer! he would get destroyed by a boxer. even a good mma fighter.

eagles_victory
06-10-2008, 08:11 PM

plus.... he's a street fighter.... more of a feel for the mma than the sweet science. isnt their more technique to mma than there is for boxing?

As for JLG I dont think hes exactly dominating MMA.

jlg043
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I havent seen anyone dominate him yet! He's still undefeated right? I dont keep up w/ that stuff but last I heard he was undefeated so If thats true he is going fairly well

eagles_victory
06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I havent seen anyone dominate him yet! He's still undefeated right? I dont keep up w/ that stuff but last I heard he was undefeated so If thats true he is going fairly well Fighting nobodys and getting dominated the whole fight by some average fighter

BleedOrange
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
He's only had a few MMA fights against mediocre opponents. He would get destroyed by a majority of heavyweight boxers. He could turn into a great MMA guy but needs alot of work. The networks are slowly bringing him along hoping he continues to progress as they have a name they can ride to the big money.

DU_stud04
06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
isnt their more technique to mma than there is for boxing?
mma is like having a minor in a bunch of studies.... boxing is like having a doctorate.

BleedOrange
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Excellent analogy!

Old Tiger
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
mma is like having a minor in a bunch of studies.... boxing is like having a doctorate. and a lot of people with doctorates are old and boring ;)

Emerson1
06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I havent seen anyone dominate him yet! He's still undefeated right? I dont keep up w/ that stuff but last I heard he was undefeated so If thats true he is going fairly well
Would of lost the fight on CBS if they weren't going for ratings

BleedOrange
06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
and a lot of people with doctorates are old and boring ;)

Yeah and Fox News sucks. Young and uneducated in the real world. Must be a student or not too long past graduation.

DDBooger
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
Yeah and Fox News sucks. Young and uneducated in the real world. Must be a student or not too long past graduation. lol and generalizing is an educated statement?

DU_stud04
06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
mayweather retired....... again.

:(

DDBooger
06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
mayweather retired....... again.

:(
was really looking forward to him fighing miguel cotto

DU_stud04
06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
was really looking forward to him fighing miguel cotto id love to see it. i think he's tired of people getting on to him for ducking cotto..... so instead of fighting him he went this way with it....

i still say he'll be back again.

DDBooger
06-10-2008, 09:53 PM
id love to see it. i think he's tired of people getting on to him for ducking cotto..... so instead of fighting him he went this way with it....

i still say he'll be back again.
damn straight, he knows cotto will batter him. it would be a hell of a fight. shame. won't call him yellow, but I think he scared to tarnish his career

nobogey72
06-11-2008, 08:29 AM
mma is like having a minor in a bunch of studies.... boxing is like having a doctorate.

I have to holler BS on that statement.:mad:

DU_stud04
06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I have to holler BS on that statement.:mad: go ahead.... aint changing my mind :)

DU_stud04
06-11-2008, 06:39 PM
damn straight, he knows cotto will batter him. it would be a hell of a fight. shame. won't call him yellow, but I think he scared to tarnish his career same.

rockdale80
06-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I have to holler BS on that statement.:mad:

I agree. The majority of the fighters are extremely skilled in multiple areas and really skilled in the rest. They are very conditioned and precise in their techniques.

I think it is possible for people to come into the UFC and win a fight or two with little to no skill, but to compete at the top of the curve there is definitely a doctorate degree involved.

I know that people dont like the grappling part of the sport, but that is mostly because the majority of people dont see the struggle going on. Every move is a fight for position, setting up a future move, or trying to coax your opponent into making a mistake. I guess it is one of those things that you either know and appreciate, or you write it off as dumb, dont understand it, and dont care to watch it. It is a matter of opinion, and not a matter of actual skill involved in doing it.