ssgmp5150
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
District 13-3A

Farmersville
Lovejoy
Quinlan Ford
Princeton
Community

Who wins this district and what other two teams make the playoffs. Give your opinions and predictions.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Isn't Dodson at Farmersville now?

ssgmp5150
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah Coach Ross Dodson is at the helm now. Do you know anything about him? Is he a good hire? I know we lost a lot of good coaches to South Garland after that State Title run! Just wished the powers that be would have figured out a way to keep em here, but we are behind Coach Dodson now and a pursuit of another title we hope!:)

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2008, 04:21 PM
What kind of offense did you run last year?

I played for Dodson in Breckenridge until he left after my soph year of football.

ssgmp5150
06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
About 95% of the time we ran a two tight end I formation set and it was Redwine left and Redwine right. We were blessed to have a 1st team all state running back with over 2300 total yards on the season! However, he did implement a spread offense that we slowly incorporated throughout the season and it really benefited our running game later in the playoffs. We had an all state defensive/tight end that caught the winning touchdown pass in OT to beat Tatum for the Title! This year will be more of the same, except instead of one back, we will have several and it will be running back by committe. Our quarterback is a dual threat with his arms and legs, so we can run the spread this year successfully I think, but it will mostly be power formations with two tight ends smashing it down the defenses throat!

Man, fill me in then on Coach Dodson, because none of us have any idea about him yet!

Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
What kind of offense did you run last year?

I played for Dodson in Breckenridge until he left after my soph year of football.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ssgmp5150
About 95% of the time we ran a two tight end I formation set and it was Redwine left and Redwine right. We were blessed to have a 1st team all state running back with over 2300 total yards on the season! However, he did implement a spread offense that we slowly incorporated throughout the season and it really benefited our running game later in the playoffs. We had an all state defensive/tight end that caught the winning touchdown pass in OT to beat Tatum for the Title! This year will be more of the same, except instead of one back, we will have several and it will be running back by committe. Our quarterback is a dual threat with his arms and legs, so we can run the spread this year successfully I think, but it will mostly be power formations with two tight ends smashing it down the defenses throat!

Man, fill me in then on Coach Dodson, because none of us have any idea about him yet!

Veer, midline, repeat, playaction pass, veer, boot, midline, repeat.

If you've got the athletes, it will be very successful. Dodson is good for a 2A/3A program. Formation wise, we used variations of the bone--wish no tight, broken bone with a wing, double tight double wing motion, etc.

Passing was pretty basic. Playaction, boot, 3/5 step drops. Nothing mindblowing--he demanded perfection on technique though.

Towards the end there were rumblings that he was too dedicated to the base of his offense on 3rd down, ie 3rd & 10 try the midline. He never got regional finals, but the last three years he won over 10 games a season. Went to 5A Bell and just couldn't get it like it was in Breck.

Heard his son will be QB coach there. Played with him for years, and considered him a friend. If he's as good of a coach as he was a player during his time with Breck, he's got a good staff too.

buff4life
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM
i have no true opinion, i've never heard of four of the teams before

ssgmp5150
06-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds a lot like how Coach Wright ran it the last few seasons. Coach Dodson said his system was similar to Wright's and that he was not going to change much and try to fix something that wasn't broken. So, I don't think it will be a drastic change in the schematics there. I believe he has hired some very good assistants recently. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Veer, midline, repeat, playaction pass, veer, boot, midline, repeat.

If you've got the athletes, it will be very successful. Dodson is good for a 2A/3A program. Formation wise, we used variations of the bone--wish no tight, broken bone with a wing, double tight double wing motion, etc.

Passing was pretty basic. Playaction, boot, 3/5 step drops. Nothing mindblowing--he demanded perfection on technique though.

Towards the end there were rumblings that he was too dedicated to the base of his offense on 3rd down, ie 3rd & 10 try the midline. He never got regional finals, but the last three years he won over 10 games a season. Went to 5A Bell and just couldn't get it like it was in Breck.

Heard his son will be QB coach there. Played with him for years, and considered him a friend. If he's as good of a coach as he was a player during his time with Breck, he's got a good staff too.

kaorder1999
06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ssgmp5150
Sounds a lot like how Coach Wright ran it the last few seasons. Coach Dodson said his system was similar to Wright's and that he was not going to change much and try to fix something that wasn't broken. So, I don't think it will be a drastic change in the schematics there. I believe he has hired some very good assistants recently. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

any Redwines there for next year?

ssgmp5150
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, our district is kind of new to everyone. Lucas Lovejoy is a brand new high school with a first year varsity football team. Many teams have only recently moved up to AAA from AA. Farmersville just made the jump this past season. It is a pretty weak district. Quinlan Ford will have a pretty good team, but nobody else in this district I think even touches Farmersville.

Originally posted by buff4life
i have no true opinion, i've never heard of four of the teams before

BreckTxLonghorn
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Also, they run the starburst for kickoff returns. Fun to watch.

ssgmp5150
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Nope, no Redwine's for this upcoming season, but we have a few of em in the pee wee and junior high systems to include a Craddock I think that will be a freshman this year. However, we have a stable of excellent running backs. They are no Tahj Redwine's, but they will more than get the job done!

Originally posted by kaorder1999
any Redwines there for next year?

ssgmp5150
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Cmon guys crank up the chatter for this district. Anyone else know anything about Lucas Lovejoy???

ssgmp5150
06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Forgot to add Emory Rains to the list of teams in the district. Sorry guys....Dave Campbell is picking Farmersville to win the district with Emory taking second.....Hmmmm....I think Quinlan will take second and third place is a dog fight between Emory, Princeton, and Community.