PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms is ticked at Jon Gruden...

Maroon87
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Reports: Simms says relationship with Gruden 'totally broken'
ESPN.com news services

Chris Simms says his relationship with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden is irreparably broken and is seeking a trade or his outright release, the St. Petersburg Times and Tampa Tribune reported.

Simms, who suffered a ruptured spleen during a game in 2006 and spent most of 2007 on the injured reserve list, is sitting out the team's workouts this week and not sure he will attend next week's minicamp.

"It is totally broken," Simms said of his relationship with Gruden, the Tribune reported. "And it kills me to say that, because the Bucs have been great to me; the fans have been great to me ... But the relationship between me and coach Gruden -- it's broken. It just is. And I don't see any way it's going to get better again."

According to the report, Simms has asked the Bucs for a trade or his outright release. He said the reason the team gave him for not doing so has been "muddled."

"I feel like I'm being held hostage," Simms said, according to the Times. "I hate that all this has happened. I love Tampa. My family loves it here. But I've been quiet long enough. I feel like it's time to let everybody know why I'm not out there."

Simms said his relationship with Gruden began deteriorating last year during training camp. He alleged Gruden never acknowledged the seriousness of the injury, asked him if it was all in his mind, and put him into a preseason game when he had been given few practice reps.

"I was nowhere near ready to go [for the preseason game]," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "I don't know what the reason was for having me out there. And for coach to say during camp that I was healthy and just wasn't practicing well, that was a low blow.

"I mean, he never once sat down at any point with me and asked me what I was going through, how I felt, even as a person. That said a lot to me. That's why I feel like I can never play for him again."

The team declined to comment on Simms' situation, the Tribune reported.

"I do believe that [Gruden] thought I might be faking it," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "I mean, he asked me, 'Is it in your head?' For him to say that, that's just not right. There are just a lot of things that I can never forgive him for."

According to the Tribune, Simms said if he has not been dealt or released by training camp, he will attend -- but he won't be a happy camper.

"I'll be there," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "If they want that media circus, they'll have it. But they have to know that I won't be happy, I won't ever be happy here again. Ever."

In another quarterback-related development, The Denver Post reported that according to two NFL sources, the Bucs are reportedly close to reaching a $3.5 million contract settlement with Jake Plummer, who has never played a down for the team.

The Bucs dealt for Plummer in March 2007, a day after he had faxed a letter to the NFL stating his intention to retire. However, Plummer had two years left on the contract he had signed with the Broncos at the time he was traded, and the Bucs were seeking about $7 million in signing bonus money from him, alleging he had failed to meet his obligation in the deal.

eppy 12
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/crybaby_challenge.gif

coach
06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Reports: Simms says relationship with Gruden 'totally broken'
ESPN.com news services

Chris Simms says his relationship with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden is irreparably broken and is seeking a trade or his outright release, the St. Petersburg Times and Tampa Tribune reported.

Simms, who suffered a ruptured spleen during a game in 2006 and spent most of 2007 on the injured reserve list, is sitting out the team's workouts this week and not sure he will attend next week's minicamp.

"It is totally broken," Simms said of his relationship with Gruden, the Tribune reported. "And it kills me to say that, because the Bucs have been great to me; the fans have been great to me ... But the relationship between me and coach Gruden -- it's broken. It just is. And I don't see any way it's going to get better again."

According to the report, Simms has asked the Bucs for a trade or his outright release. He said the reason the team gave him for not doing so has been "muddled."

"I feel like I'm being held hostage," Simms said, according to the Times. "I hate that all this has happened. I love Tampa. My family loves it here. But I've been quiet long enough. I feel like it's time to let everybody know why I'm not out there."

Simms said his relationship with Gruden began deteriorating last year during training camp. He alleged Gruden never acknowledged the seriousness of the injury, asked him if it was all in his mind, and put him into a preseason game when he had been given few practice reps.

"I was nowhere near ready to go [for the preseason game]," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "I don't know what the reason was for having me out there. And for coach to say during camp that I was healthy and just wasn't practicing well, that was a low blow.

"I mean, he never once sat down at any point with me and asked me what I was going through, how I felt, even as a person. That said a lot to me. That's why I feel like I can never play for him again."

The team declined to comment on Simms' situation, the Tribune reported.

"I do believe that [Gruden] thought I might be faking it," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "I mean, he asked me, 'Is it in your head?' For him to say that, that's just not right. There are just a lot of things that I can never forgive him for."

According to the Tribune, Simms said if he has not been dealt or released by training camp, he will attend -- but he won't be a happy camper.

"I'll be there," Simms said, according to the Tribune. "If they want that media circus, they'll have it. But they have to know that I won't be happy, I won't ever be happy here again. Ever."

In another quarterback-related development, The Denver Post reported that according to two NFL sources, the Bucs are reportedly close to reaching a $3.5 million contract settlement with Jake Plummer, who has never played a down for the team.

The Bucs dealt for Plummer in March 2007, a day after he had faxed a letter to the NFL stating his intention to retire. However, Plummer had two years left on the contract he had signed with the Broncos at the time he was traded, and the Bucs were seeking about $7 million in signing bonus money from him, alleging he had failed to meet his obligation in the deal.

maybe daddy will fix it for him like he did when sims was in college costing the longhorns a natl title

STANG RED
06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Personally I dont think Simms has proven himself enough to anyone to be making any huge demands. He may even be spot on about Gruden, I dont know, but its not as if he has done anything outstanding as an NFL qb.
I can easily see Simms living out the rest of his NFL career as a backup qb at best. I hope I'm wrong cause I kindof like the guy. But he still has a lot to prove imo.

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by eppy 12
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/crybaby_challenge.gif :clap: :clap:

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Tampa Bay currently has 6 quarterbacks on their roster. I can understand why Simms would be ticked...most teams have about 4 this time of year and whittle it to 3 in training camp.

Sweetwater Red
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Tampa Bay currently has 6 quarterbacks on their roster. I can understand why Simms would be ticked...most teams have about 4 this time of year and whittle it to 3 in training camp.

I would take being #6 on the depth chart over being out of
the league all together. Expansion has made the QB a weak
postion in the NFL. Want proof? Jon Kitna is the best QB in the
NFC north.:doh:

BwdLions
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Here comes all the negativity from the Longhorn haters. It's easy to do right now with Simms unhappiness, Cedric's legal problems, and of course you can always rag on Ricky Williams just because.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I would take being #6 on the depth chart over being out of
the league all together. Expansion has made the QB a weak
postion in the NFL. Want proof? Jon Kitna is the best QB in the
NFC north.:doh:

I don't think that Simms would be out of work if he weren't on the Bucs. Heck, I'd be almost certain that the Cowboys would have interest--he'd have a chance with Dallas to beat out Brad Johnson for the #2 spot...he could be the #2 on about half the teams in the league right now, and he'd probably start in Atlanta or Miami.

ronwx5x
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Here comes all the negativity from the Longhorn haters. It's easy to do right now with Simms unhappiness, Cedric's legal problems, and of course you can always rag on Ricky Williams just because.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. They may not care for Chris Simms but no one is ragging on any college.

Simms has made no one happy, including himself, for several years.

crzyjournalist03
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM

I don't see how Simms' college career factors into this discussion at all...and even if it did, I don't think that Longhorn haters would be the ones to jump on Simms...there are a lot of diehard UT fans who can't stand Simms to this day. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing your point there at all.

44INAROW
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by coach
maybe daddy will fix it for him like he did when sims was in college costing the longhorns a natl title

my sentiments exactly................

little Chrissie Sims...
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/crybaby_challenge.gifwaaaawaaaaaa:rolleyes:

***disclaimer*** I am not college bashing - just expressing my opinion of chrissie sims.........:D

zebrablue2
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't see how Simms' college career factors into this discussion at all...and even if it did, I don't think that Longhorn haters would be the ones to jump on Simms...there are a lot of diehard UT fans who can't stand Simms to this day. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing your point there at all.

:iagree:

Txbroadcaster
06-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I dont understand how people are sayng Simms is cryng..the dude could have died when he tried to tough it out when he had the spleen injury..if I did that and then my coach said something that basically is saying it was all in your head I would be ticked as well

This is not him just griping about playing time, he feels his coach was basically saying he was a wuss for the inury and then just parked him 6 deep on a roster he has no chance to go up on..Why does TB keep holding on to him, cut him as it would be the best for both sides now

eppy 12
06-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

little Chrissie Sims...
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/crybaby_challenge.gifwaaaawaaaaaa:rolleyes:

***disclaimer*** I am not college bashing - just expressing my opinion of chrissie sims.........:D "suggested reading for "chrissie"
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/good.jpg:rolleyes:

pirate4state
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Here comes all the negativity from the Longhorn haters. It's easy to do right now with Simms unhappiness, Cedric's legal problems, and of course you can always rag on Ricky Williams just because. Well if that happens we have a new policy in place!

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

little Chrissie Sims...

***disclaimer*** I am not college bashing - just expressing my opinion of chrissie sims.........:D
Chrissie...LMAO :D (Oh, the memories....)

Old Tiger
06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I hate chrisy!!!:mad:

JasperDog94
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont understand how people are sayng Simms is cryng..the dude could have died when he tried to tough it out when he had the spleen injury..if I did that and then my coach said something that basically is saying it was all in your head I would be ticked as well

This is not him just griping about playing time, he feels his coach was basically saying he was a wuss for the inury and then just parked him 6 deep on a roster he has no chance to go up on..Why does TB keep holding on to him, cut him as it would be the best for both sides now Exactly. I don't blame him one bit. It's been almost a year and he hasn't said anything until now.

buff4ever
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Exactly. I don't blame him one bit. It's been almost a year and he hasn't said anything until now.

I agree with that, but that is b/c he thought that his dad or anyone would just fix it for him like the situation at texas and applewhite.

We all learn early in life how we THINK things go, and if we learn the wrong way it tends to hurt some down the road.

LESSON: Don't give your kids anything, make them earn it. Don't use politics to get them somewhere if they are going to know you did it. The world would be a better place, but this will never happen for too many parents live through their children when all they have become are has beens.

JasperDog94
06-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I agree with that, but that is b/c he thought that his dad or anyone would just fix it for him like the situation at texas and applewhite. You certainly have a right to that opinion, but you have nothing to back it up. Simms has done an okay job in the NFL and in this situation he's sticking up for himself. His dad has nothing to do with the situation.

bobcat1
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
:lies: I just like to say I am with the majority. Waaaaa :bigcry: Chrissy WAAAA:bigcry: We'll hear from Phil next and I don't mean PhilC. :taunt:

(I did real good. I didn't make any remarks that go against any new rules concerning any place of higher learning that might have ..... well let's just stop)
Whew! I made it. :redX: :wave:

big daddy russ
06-12-2008, 12:22 AM
As of right now, I'm with TxB and jdog. TxB hit my thoughts about the story spot on. I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Why is talking about being thrown under the bus by your head coach (who put him on the field too early after a life-threatening injury) crying?

I'm anything but a Simms lover, but I just don't see the other side of the story.

scrub c
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by coach

If I may quote a line from a remarkable beer commercial....

TRUE

LH Panther Mom
06-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

This is not him just griping about playing time, he feels his coach was basically saying he was a wuss for the inury and then just parked him 6 deep on a roster he has no chance to go up on..Why does TB keep holding on to him, cut him as it would be the best for both sides now

Yes, it was a serious injury and yes, he could have died from it. The injury and surgery to remove his spleen happened September, 2006. Normal recovery time is 6-weeks, yet he spent the 2007 season (a year later) on the IR list.

This is from John Gruden the day after the game he was injured: Other than to confirm his status, Bucs officials did not comment on Simms following his surgery. Coach Jon Gruden was asked about Simms during his postgame news conference, and said: "He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him. He made some big plays when we needed him. . . . He is hurting right now, there is no question. . . . He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good defense." link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/24/AR2006092401241.html)

Again, normal recovery time is 6-weeks. A year later he is unable to play because he is "hurting" because of the splenectomy. :confused: If the relationship with Gruden was ruined, it seems like it was ruined last year. Why wait another season to bring it up? :confused:

As far as him being moved to 6th on the depth chart....he sat the entire last season. It happens all the time in pro sports. (6 QB's sounds like a lot to me, but that's not the point.) He did nothing for the team most of the last two seasons. Coaches have to have players in line that are able to be on the field.

buff4ever
06-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yes, it was a serious injury and yes, he could have died from it. The injury and surgery to remove his spleen happened September, 2006. Normal recovery time is 6-weeks, yet he spent the 2007 season (a year later) on the IR list.

This is from John Gruden the day after the game he was injured: Other than to confirm his status, Bucs officials did not comment on Simms following his surgery. Coach Jon Gruden was asked about Simms during his postgame news conference, and said: "He played tough and he showed a lot of grit. He really did. It is a credit to him. He made some big plays when we needed him. . . . He is hurting right now, there is no question. . . . He is a very sore and tired man right now, and I am proud of how he hung in there against a very good defense." link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/24/AR2006092401241.html)

Again, normal recovery time is 6-weeks. A year later he is unable to play because he is "hurting" because of the splenectomy. :confused: If the relationship with Gruden was ruined, it seems like it was ruined last year. Why wait another season to bring it up? :confused:

As far as him being moved to 6th on the depth chart....he sat the entire last season. It happens all the time in pro sports. (6 QB's sounds like a lot to me, but that's not the point.) He did nothing for the team most of the last two seasons. Coaches have to have players in line that are able to be on the field.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: sounds fair to me!

BwdLions
06-12-2008, 09:52 AM
My problem with Chuckie is he thinks he has to act like the toughest guy in the world around these pro football players so they'll either respect him or be intimidated by him. Those faces he makes are hilarious.

crzyjournalist03
06-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Simms say last year that he intended on playing and that he was healthy but then the Bucs came out and said he wasn't and put him on the PUP list?

BreckTxLonghorn
06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Simms say last year that he intended on playing and that he was healthy but then the Bucs came out and said he wasn't and put him on the PUP list?

Yes.

Txbroadcaster
06-12-2008, 01:51 PM

tampa put him on the PUP, he did not ask to go, they said he had not regained his form yet, even though he got just 6 snaps

The reason he waited till now was because he QUIETLY went to the Bucs and asked for a trade or release, but they would not grant it and honestly, no one knows why..He is not going to be in their plans, so why keep him and not allow him a ahcnace to catch on with another team

And just because Gruden says that to the media means NOTHING when it comes to his real feelings towrds the injury or to the player

And I am not even saying Simms is right in what he says, I just would not label it crying..Again if I basically almost died playing and then my coach questioned it, I would be pissed as well