PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson a no-show in Chi-town

K-MAC Chuck
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Cedric Benson's a no-show at Bears practice
By David Haugh | Tribune reporter
2:41 PM CDT, June 9, 2008

Cedric Benson's absence from Monday's voluntary organized team activity at Halas Hall only raised speculation that the Bears will either suspend or release the troubled running back.

Benson had told the Tribune in a phone interview Sunday night he planned to attend the workout and wanted to make a statement regarding his arrest Saturday morning in Austin for driving under the influence -- his second alcohol-related arrest in five weeks.

Then he wasn't on the field during an open practice.

The Bears were of little help providing answers about their next move with Benson or his whereabouts.

Jerry Angelo avoided reporters walking off the field, only to respond to one question with an answer that implied the team might make a statement later Monday. Lovie Smith refused to answer any questions about Benson, saying "I'll talk on days I normally talk.'' Running backs coach Tim Spencer was just as reticent turning down a request.

A team source said Benson was in Chicago but refused to elaborate further.

44INAROW
06-09-2008, 02:50 PM
BA BYE............

Phil C
06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Get yourself to Illinois Cedrick. :(

JasperDog94
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I would be surprised if they let him go. They'll try to trade him first.

STANG RED
06-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I would be surprised if they let him go. They'll try to trade him first.

:thinking: Hmmmm, well lets see. A troubled NFL player looking for a new team. Sounds like a prime Jerry Jones candidate to me. :D

eppy 12
06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I would be surprised if they let him go. They'll try to trade him first. "hello? hello? jerry, you are a compassionate man.....":devil:

Necks_Fan
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
:thinking: Hmmmm, well lets see. A troubled NFL player looking for a new team. Sounds like a prime Jerry Jones candidate to me. :D Exactly what I was thinking. They already took Tank Johnson and his guns from Chi-town. Now Ced and his beer. Nice.

GreenMonster
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
ESPN is reporting that it is official, the BEARS have cut Cedrick Benson.

Sweetwater Red
06-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3434053

STANG RED
06-09-2008, 05:04 PM

And Jerry has already sent him a first class ticket to Valley Ranch and an official cowboys jersey.

I think we should go plant some dope on Peyton Manning.:devil:

JasperDog94
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
ESPN is reporting that it is official, the BEARS have cut Cedrick Benson. I'm really surprised by this. Surely he had some trade value. Maybe not. Oh well. He'll get a second chance with somebody, but he better not screw it up again. I'm all for second chances, but repeat offenders should get the boot.

Looking4number8
06-09-2008, 09:19 PM
[i]I think we should go plant some dope on Peyton Manning.:devil: [/B]

Now thats funny...and smart!!!

solocam
06-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Oakland
Maybe in Dallas as a backup

JasperDog94
06-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by solocam
Maybe in Dallas as a backup Honestly, who wouldn't want him as a backup? The risk is very low and the reward could be tremendous.

zebrablue2
06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I would let him fly. Lesson learned to future players coming into the NFL. Kids look up to these guys as role models. He has not come close...

Emerson1
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by solocam
Maybe in Dallas as a backup
I wouldn't want him around mentoring the next 10 years of my franchise.

LH Panther Mom
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm really surprised by this. Surely he had some trade value. Maybe not. Oh well. He'll get a second chance with somebody, but he better not screw it up again. I'm all for second chances, but repeat offenders should get the boot.
I had the misfortune to be stupid enough to "draft" him his rookie season. :rolleyes: He sat on his contract for weeks, leaving me in a bad way. Next season, you'd think I'd learn, but noooooooo. Drafted him again. :rolleyes: Got hurt fairly early in the season, if I remember right. So he has a decent, not great, 2007 and two arrests just over a month apart before the 2008 season gets under way.

Trade value? For what? :doh:

Ranger Mom
06-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I had the misfortune to be stupid enough to "draft" him his rookie season. :rolleyes: He sat on his contract for weeks, leaving me in a bad way. Next season, you'd think I'd learn, but noooooooo. Drafted him again. :rolleyes: Got hurt fairly early in the season, if I remember right. So he has a decent, not great, 2007 and two arrests just over a month apart before the 2008 season gets under way.

Trade value? For what? :doh:

Like I had said before, I had seen him out and about several times in Midland when he was in HS, and he seemed like a very respectful kid....BUT, since all this has come out, I have come to find out that he is "persona non grata" in Midland!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

NastySlot
06-09-2008, 11:03 PM
the bears let him go today.........ced from what heard on espn really wasn't liked too much by his teammates...then you add all his problems.....he sure didn't help himself.

GreenMonster
06-09-2008, 11:05 PM
He can come play for me pro-bono in an attempt to get seen again if thinks it will help his career any. :D

Old Tiger
06-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I wouldn't want him around mentoring the next 10 years of my franchise. just like reggie bush was supposed to be a franhise changer for NO.:rolleyes:

IMO these two players are a lot alike

K-MAC Chuck
06-10-2008, 04:17 AM
GoBlue,
boy I'd hate to think that Reggie Bush is on the same level as Cedric OFF the field..

I think Reggie just has to find his niche ON the field - he's talented and just has to find that very exact role to play...

Cedric obviously doesn't give a crap about what happens to him - all he had to do was get a limo/car service! idiot!

eppy 12
06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
And Jerry has already sent him a first class ticket to Valley Ranch and an official cowboys jersey.

I think we should go plant some dope on Peyton Manning.:devil: :eek: :clap: :thinking:

BwdLions
06-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
GoBlue,
boy I'd hate to think that Reggie Bush is on the same level as Cedric OFF the field..

I think Reggie just has to find his niche ON the field - he's talented and just has to find that very exact role to play...

Cedric obviously doesn't give a crap about what happens to him - all he had to do was get a limo/car service! idiot!

I used to be a Cedric Benson fan when he was playing for Texas. Although he wasn't that great at Texas and got in a little trouble in his off-time, I supported him. Right now, I wouldn't want him on my team because he doesn't seem to be a team oriented player and he gets in way too much trouble.

I wouldn't be putting Reggie up a pedestal. This is the jerk that put USC in jeopardy by having his family live rent-free in a San Diego mansion during his senior year (provided by a pro agent). He's not the ideal example you're looking for in this argument.

Emerson1
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I used to be a Cedric Benson fan when he was playing for Texas. Although he wasn't that great at Texas and got in a little trouble in his off-time, I supported him. Right now, I wouldn't want him on my team because he doesn't seem to be a team oriented player and he gets in way too much trouble.

I wouldn't be putting Reggie up a pedestal. This is the jerk that put USC in jeopardy by having his family live rent-free in a San Diego mansion during his senior year (provided by a pro agent). He's not the ideal example you're looking for in this argument.
Reggie took the chance to make money when he was 20 years old, Cedric is an old man doing this stuff.

Go blue is a moron

ronwx5x
06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Reggie took the chance to make money when he was 20 years old, Cedric is an old man doing this stuff.

DOB 9/28/1982, so he's 25 year old "old man"? He is old enough to be an adult but doesn't seem to be ready for "manhood" yet.

Old Tiger
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
GoBlue,

Cedric obviously doesn't give a crap about what happens to him - all he had to do was get a limo/car service! idiot! I was talking about the next ten years of the Oakland franchise...not cedric.