PDA

View Full Version : Fire destroys Texas governor's mansion

Trashman
06-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Fire destroys Texas governor's mansion
2 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas state officials say a four-alarm fire has caused "catastrophic" damage to the Texas Governor's Mansion in Austin.

Governor's spokesman Robert Black says said no one was inside the 150-year-old home when the fire began shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday. He says the cause is not yet known.

The mansion had been undergoing a $10 million renovation and Gov. Rick Perry and his wife had moved out last fall.

Black says the damage to the mansion "is extraordinary, bordering on catastrophic."

He says more than 100 firefighters are at the scene and the roof of the mansion is very unstable.

ILS1
06-08-2008, 11:29 AM
AUSTIN, TEXAS (KXAN)--The smell of heavy smoke blankets downtown Austin, TX as firefighters manage hot-spots from a fire that has completely gutted the Governor's Mansion.

Dawn Clopton from the Austin Fire Department reports that the main fire is now officially out, and that a "good part of the structure is left." The roof of the mansion's second story has partially collapsed, so Austin firefighters are working with structural engineers in order to gain safe access inside the structure. Fire crews are also working with the state preservation office in order to salvage as much of the historic Greek Revival style structure as possible.

Firefighters responded to the mansion at 1:45am Sunday, June 8, 2008. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.

Updated to add: 11:02 a.m. Paul Maldonado with the State Fire Marshal's Office now says that investigators have found evidence that the fire at the Governor's Mansion was intentionally set.

Governor Rick Perry and First Lady Anita Perry were traveling in Europe at the time of the fire. The Governor moved out of the mansion in October of 2007 so a $10 million dollar construction project could begin in January 2008; ironically, construction crews were to install a fire suppression system inside the 152 year-old building.

All of the historical furniture and artwork had been removed from the building and placed in storage for the renovations. The kitchen was the only room with items remaining.

More than 100 firefighters battled the mansion fire throughout the night. Battalion Chief Buck Palmer told KXAN Austin News that "our first units arrived to find heavy fire coming from the front porch... the first alarm companies, encountered heavy fire in both the second story and the second story veranda. They pulled back out and at one point had a small collapse, went to a second alarm, third alarm, now we're at a fourth alarm the fire is being fought defensively - that means the firefighters are fighting from the outside."

Construction work inside the mansion has also complicated the firefight according to Battalion Chief Palmer who says "the problem is a building that is 152 years old has been remodeled several times, which means all types of hidden spaces." Originally a 6,000 square foot home, the mansion has been remodeled and added on throughout the years and is now over 8,000 square feet with 25 rooms and 7 bathrooms.

The last major construction project at the mansion was in 1914.

Fire Marshall takes over scene

The State Fire Marshal's office has taken over the scene at the Governor's Mansion - they're now in charge of the investigation to determine the cause of the fire. As such, the roads closed in the area - 10th, 11th, Lavaca, and Colorado - will remain closed for at least the next few hours.

Mansion History

Construction on the Texas Governor's Mansion began in 1854. Bad weather delayed construction, and the mansion opened six months behind schedule on June 14, 1856. Master builder Abner Cook built the mansion in the Greek Revival architectural style. The original mansion blueprint included 6,000 square feet and was divided into 11 rooms and no bathrooms inside the main house. In 1914, the mansion's only major structural change occurred with the addition of a Conservatory. The 1914 construction increased the mansion's footprint to 8.920 square feet, with 25 rooms and 7 bathrooms.

To date, 40 governors have occupied the mansion. It is the fourth oldest governor's mansion in the United States that has been continuously occupied by a chief executive.

Story Link (www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=8447664)

zebrablue2
06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
bet it was arson.. too bad someone gets their kicks out of doing this. hope they catch them...

Ranger Mom
06-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
bet it was arson.. too bad someone gets their kicks out of doing this. hope they catch them...

The below quote was included in the article posted above yours:

Originally posted by ILS1

Updated to add: 11:02 a.m. Paul Maldonado with the State Fire Marshal's Office now says that investigators have found evidence that the fire at the Governor's Mansion was intentionally set.

kaorder1999
06-08-2008, 04:31 PM
not good....probably a disgruntled teacher not happy with the governor for some reason...haha

DDBooger
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
or a ut athlete! haha j/k just beating some knuckleheads to it! ;)

LH Panther Mom
06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
or a ut athlete! haha j/k just beating some knuckleheads to it! ;) :evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :doh:

DDBooger
06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :doh: :) was hoping you Mods didn't drop the hammer of god on me :D lol at leats till I get to 1500
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z94/Doppelganger007/SledgeHammerofGod.gif

eppy 12
06-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:) was hoping you Mods didn't drop the hammer of god on me :D lol at leats till I get to 1500
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z94/Doppelganger007/SledgeHammerofGod.gif tread lightly! i know.......:(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Too bad the governor wasn't inside. :(

Astrosdawg07
06-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Are you sure your not attending UT instead of aTm?

ronwx5x
06-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Too bad the governor wasn't inside. :(

You must be a nice boy who makes a mother proud. What a nasty thing to say. Like him or not, you shouldn't wish him burned to death. Think about it.

JasperDog94
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Too bad the governor wasn't inside. :( I can't stand Rick Perry, but even I don't wish that.:(

pirate4state
06-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Are you sure your not attending UT instead of aTm?

two wrongs don't make a right :doh:

these type of comments are what is gonna bring a situation to a head!