PDA

View Full Version : Texas A & M Sailboat Crew Of 6 Reported Missing In The Gulf Of Mexico!!

ILS1
06-07-2008, 11:00 PM
The six-person crew of a Texas A&M University sailboat was reported missing Saturday in the Gulf of Mexico, the Coast Guard said.

A sailboat matching the description of the crew's 38-foot boat was found overturned about 5:15 p.m., though none of the mariners was spotted, authorities said.

Communication with the boat was lost about midnight Friday, and the boat missed its 8 a.m. radio check, the Coast Guard reported.

According to the university, all the mariners were experienced sailors, and two of them were safety instructors.

The Coast Guard has sent rescue crews to the area, about 10 miles south of Matagorda, Texas.

The sailboat, named Cynthia Woods, was part of the Veracruz Regatta and scheduled to sail from Galveston, Texas, to Veracruz, Mexico. About two dozen boats entered this year's race.

Story Link (www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/07/missing.sailors/index.html)

LH Panther Mom
06-07-2008, 11:27 PM
:( I hope they're okay.

DDBooger
06-08-2008, 07:01 AM
got reported 5 found 1 missing!

zebrablue2
06-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
got reported 5 found 1 missing!

where were they found??

DDBooger
06-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
where were they found?? in the dixie chicken...lmao I presume in the gulf off of matagorda. still one missing though:(

ILS1
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
GALVESTON, Texas - A Coast Guard spokeswoman said early on Sunday that a helicopter crew had found five of six regatta competitors alive after their boat disappeared in the Gulf of Mexico.

The search started after the 38-foot Cynthia Woods missed a radio check Saturday morning and was found capsized.

Petty Officer Renee C. Aiello said a Coast Guard helicopter crew from Air Station Houston hoisted the five men on board and the search continued for a sixth. Their conditions were not available.

The boat was competing in the Regata de Amigos.

Texas A&M at Galveston says the crew included four college students and two safety officers.

The boat went missing 11 miles south of Matagorda, which is about 110 miles down the coast from Galveston, Texas.

Story Link (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25028513/)

STANG RED
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
This is a very sad story.:(

Phil C
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Prayers that the last one will be found and will be ok. :(

Gobbler Fan
06-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Just read this off another Board ...

Re: Texas A&M sailboat overturned........still 1 crew member missing Reply
Update:
I just got off the phone with some of my sailing buddies down in the Houston area. They have found the sixth sailor. Unfortunately, he didn't survive. The coast guard went back to the boat, which I guess was still adrift (and upside down) and searched the interior. His body was found in there. From what I understand, he and another sailor were asleep down below when the accident happened. It sounds like something caused the boat to lose the keel and very quickly flip. The common thought at this time is that they likely hit a submerged cargo container, which actually are not that uncommon to hit, and it ripped the keel off. The other person didn't make it out with a life vest on, but was able to remain with the group and stay a float. My thoughts are with his family.

:( Sad Situation

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou080607_tj_missingboat.d9411d3.html

LH Panther Mom
06-08-2008, 08:28 PM
:( Very sad....

44INAROW
06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
so sad........ prayers out to the family :(

AP Panther Fan
06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
What a sad story...the survivors were on the Today Show this morning.

Apparently, the gentleman that didn't make it was very instrumental in getting everyone else off the boat. If I find the story, I will post it.

:(

CHS_Grad '85
06-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Found this in The Eagle... all I can say is 'wow'...

Rescued sailors grateful (http://www.theeagle.com/local/Rescued-sailors-grateful)