PDA

View Full Version : Burning Cross question

JasperDog94
06-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Okay. So we cleaned out a storage unit at church. Inside the storage unit was a bunch of lumber that was used years ago and is no longer good. Instead of putting all the old lumber in a dumpster (we would have to cut it into smaller pieces) I said that I would take it home and burn it.

One other item in the storage unit was an old cross that we don't need anymore. I brought that home as well to be burned. So my question is this:

If I burn that cross in my own yard, does that make me a racist against my own race?:confused: :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:

eppy 12
06-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Okay. So we cleaned out a storage unit at church. Inside the storage unit was a bunch of lumber that was used years ago and is no longer good. Instead of putting all the old lumber in a dumpster (we would have to cut it into smaller pieces) I said that I would take it home and burn it.

One other item in the storage unit was an old cross that we don't need anymore. I brought that home as well to be burned. So my question is this:

If I burn that cross in my own yard, does that make me a racist against my own race?:confused: :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd: :thinking: cut it up first..

waterboy
06-06-2008, 08:45 AM

If I burn that cross in my own yard, does that make me a racist against my own race?:confused: :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:
No. Only if you plant it in the front yard before setting it on fire.

SWMustang
06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I think it makes you a methodist

JasperDog94
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think it makes you a methodist Shhhhh...don't tell the folks in my congregation. :D Although there is a Methodist church right across the street.;)

Phil C
06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think it makes you a methodist

SWM I admire the Methodist Church.

JasperDog94
06-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
SWM I admire the Methodist Church. I'm curious Phil...what exactly do you admire about the Methodist Church?:)

Phil C
06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm curious Phil...what exactly do you admire about the Methodist Church?:)

It preaches the word of God.

JasperDog94
06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
It preaches the word of God. Good enough reason.;)

garciap77
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM

It depends on the Neighborhood.

Phil C
06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
It depends on the Neighborhood.

garciap77 Many years ago I walked in one of the worse neighborhoods of downtown Houston and wasn't bothered. Of course since I was almost dressed like a tramp they probably figured I didn't have any money and wasn't worth bothering with. They were right. :)

piratebg
06-06-2008, 04:55 PM
garciap77 Many years ago I walked in one of the worse neighborhoods of downtown Houston and wasn't bothered. Of course since I was almost dressed like a tramp they probably figured I didn't have any money and wasn't worth bothering with. They were right. :)

Phil? You were dressed like a TRAMP?!?!? You know what, I don't want to know.

3afan
06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
its scrap wood - just burn it ... dont make something out of nothing

2 pieces of wood nailed together alone do not make "a cross"

turbostud
06-06-2008, 09:42 PM
You could be the next Clayton Bigsby.

injuredinmelee
06-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
You could be the next Clayton Bigsby.

i laugh the whole 9 minutes of that scene. The best line is the last.

JasperDog94
06-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
its scrap wood - just burn it ... dont make something out of nothing

2 pieces of wood nailed together alone do not make "a cross" I know. I was just messin' around.;)

But since I am from Jasper, I can never be too careful.:eek: :eek: :doh:

WOS87
06-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I know. I was just messin' around.;)

But since I am from Jasper, I can never be too careful.:eek: :eek: :doh:

It would be exceedingly poor timing to decide to burn anything that could be at all mistaken for a cross in Jasper today what with it being the 10th anniversary (exactly to the date) ....

Houston Chronicle Front Page Story Saturday June 7th, 2008 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5823669.html)

STANG RED
06-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Just to be on the safe side, just hang it up in your garage. No reason to temp fate. And who knows, with the good Lord watching over your car every night, you just might get better gas milage and a safer ride.:D

JasperDog94
06-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
It would be exceedingly poor timing to decide to burn anything that could be at all mistaken for a cross in Jasper today what with it being the 10th anniversary (exactly to the date) ....

Houston Chronicle Front Page Story Saturday June 7th, 2008 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5823669.html) :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had no idea. That would be very poor timing indeed.:(

Blastoderm55
06-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Your county isn't under burn ban? Everywhere around here is.

JasperDog94
06-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Your county isn't under burn ban? Everywhere around here is. I doubt it. We got a bunch of rain earlier this week.

Diocletian
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
burning a cross has nothing to do with discrimination

the only thing you might not want to do is turn it into any kind of celebration