PDA

View Full Version : Houston Astros first round pick is...

crzyjournalist03
06-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Jason Castro:

http://neighborsgoblog.dallasnews.com/castroinbluejeans.jpg

JasperDog94
06-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I guess we know who will sing the national anthem and take me out to the ballgame from now on.:)

crzyjournalist03
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
I guess I should mention that he's a catcher from Stanford who bats lefthanded.

crzyjournalist03
06-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Keith Law thinks that the Astros made a bit of a reach:

"Castro didn't get to catch last year in the Cape Cod League because the team had Posey. Castro was expected to go in the second half of the first round. He's a contact hitter; he will not hit for a lot of power. He's an average regular catcher in the big leagues. But I don't see him as a star. By the way, the next best college catcher in the draft is well below Castro."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2008/news/story?id=3427340

JasperDog94
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Now they just need to make sure that they actually sign him.:rolleyes:

K-MAC Chuck
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
For those of you in the Central Texas area (and those who hear me and the other sports guys on KVET-AM 1300, The Zone, Austin), the Astros just got the "kiss of death" on their first pick..

Quotes from Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus:

"The Astros should have taken the Jason Castro from American Idol - he probably has more talent!"

"The Astros have very little in their farm system as it is - Castro is just another (not sure what word he used here, but you can imagine it wasn't good)."

"Not sure why Houston reached out for Castro - there's so much more talent available with this pick."

OUCH! :o :hairpunk: :eek:

crzyjournalist03
06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Supplemental first round pick for them is a high school pitcher out of South Carolina...any word on him?

Necks_Fan
06-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Castro

.372 BA
63 RBI's
12 HRS

All Conference catcher

Average arm
below average power
will be a good hitter average wise

I actually like the pick.

He has experience using wood bats because of the cape cod league. He batted like .320 something there I think.

Anyway, he's 20 Y/o. Put him at AA CC fo a year. Then AAA, and in 3-4 yrs, he will be ready to play for the 'Stros. He said once he finishes the Super Regional /CWS, that negotiations will begin. He thinks they will go smoothely.

zebrablue2
06-07-2008, 09:35 AM
castro hit a 2 run homer against CSF in a 4-3 win on friday night..

Daddy D 11
06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Astros also drafted Lake Travis LHP Brad Dedalywitz. He throws in mid 90's consistantly and has great stuff. He's commited to Arizona and last time i talked to him he was going to stick to that commitment, but who knows.

Astros have never drafted too great, but their picks seem to "blossom" in the minors.

Necks_Fan
06-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Astros also drafted Lake Travis LHP Brad Dedalywitz. He throws in mid 90's consistantly and has great stuff. He's commited to Arizona and last time i talked to him he was going to stick to that commitment, but who knows.

Astros have never drafted too great, but their picks seem to "blossom" in the minors. Yea, if and when they sign........

:mad:

Daddy D 11
06-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Yea, if and when they sign........

:mad:

very true. I doubt he signs. Specially with Arizona one win away from Omaha.