PDA

View Full Version : Austin Johnston

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I heard on the radio news a little bit ago that the school will officially be shut down and not reopen in the fall. Anyone besides Rockdale have them on the schedule?

Old Tiger
06-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Well Rockdale will get two bye weeks. Sad for the kids but it could be good in a way that now they can actually go somewhere else where the school cares about them and will work with them :(

K-MAC Chuck
06-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I hate to say it but that school does need to be closed.

We had the chance to cover their games a few times..it was actually sad to see those 17 kids (on the entire roster!) play against much bigger teams..but let me tell you, those 17 kids gave it EVERYTHING they had on the field..

they had a lot of heart...and they played with passion...

sad to see, but it's such a good thing in the overall scope of things...

Old Dog
06-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, here we go again, blaming a structure for the lack of leadership (by principals, teachers and parents) at a school; like moving the kids to a different school will suddenly straighten everything up! We've been hearing these threats for years and to absolutely no avail. The supt. of AISD should resign in disgrace........I hear he IS retiring soon.

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Well Rockdale will get two bye weeks. Sad for the kids but it could be good in a way that now they can actually go somewhere else where the school cares about them and will work with them :(
That's a load of crap! A big part of the blame needs to be placed on the parents for not MAKING their kids show up to school. The students who performed at Johnston will do that wherever they end up. All the cases of truancy will be the same deal - they'll be truant at the new school and/or drop-outs. Almost half the students and their parents had truancy charges filed on them by February.

Read this......it's from some of the Johnston students. I'm pretty sure they have a real good idea what goes on.

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/editorial/stories/05/27/0527carmona_edit.html

maestro
06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
that be the wisest insight into Texas education that i've ever read...

my heart goes out for the students that have to suffer....

LH Panther Mom
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by maestro
my heart goes out for the students that have to suffer....
I think it's incredibly sad. In the long run, closing the school will be the best thing for those kids that truly do want to learn.

K-MAC Chuck
06-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think it's incredibly sad. In the long run, closing the school will be the best thing for those kids that truly do want to learn.

As usual, LHPM, you are wise and insightful in your posting.. :clap:

themsu97
06-05-2008, 07:43 AM
nice post LHPM...

being on the inside, it is sad when parents want to make excuses for why their kids underperform... it is always someone elses fault...

sad thing is, for some kids being at school is better than being at home... and they crave attention and will look for ways to get it no matter...

kaorder1999
06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
isnt that the school on a 41 game losing streak in football? I believe we (adamson) were tied with them going into this season with the states longest losing streak at 31. I believe they went 0-10

kaorder1999
06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
From the way it sounds...they can still open next year if they go through the process TEA is putting them through...

Austin Johnston (http://www.texasisd.com/article_72087.shtml)

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
isnt that the school on a 41 game losing streak in football? I believe we (adamson) were tied with them going into this season with the states longest losing streak at 31. I believe they went 0-10
I'm not sure, but it's possible. I know they had to forfeit several games this past season, partly because injuries hit with low participation, then grades took an even bigger toll. :( They did have academic pep rallies instead of football ones, for 3 weeks.

Originally posted by kaorder1999
From the way it sounds...they can still open next year if they go through the process TEA is putting them through...

Austin Johnston (http://www.texasisd.com/article_72087.shtml)
I hope AISD is able to come up with an acceptable plan. And I hope the school succeeds with the plan.