PDA

View Full Version : What a Fool I've Been!!

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Evidently without doing enough research, I replaced almost all the incandescent light bulbs in my home with fluorescent ones about six months ago. I spent over $75 doing this and have actually achieved what I believe to be a decrease in electricity usage. At least my bill hasn't gone up, although it hasn't gone down either. And with fuel prices having gone through the roof, no increase is like getting a decrease, at least to my thinking.

There were sixteen 60 watt bulbs in one bathroom and 8 in the other, plus many other overhead and lamp bulbs. I was so proud of myself.

Now the article below has blown my efforts to pieces. I am depressed not only that I spent money to save money but thought I was helping energy usage, and even helping the environment. I did break one bulb while putting in the new ones, so I guess my health is doomed along with the potential damage I will do when I have to replace the new bulbs at some point five to ten years from now.

I now wonder if I should go buy new incandescent bulbs and reverse the damage I have done. But what do I do with the old fluorescent bulbs? They are like SUV's now, no residual value. What to do, what to do, what to do? Oh, woe is me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362102,00.html

Phil C
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
OH THE HORROR AND THE WOE!!

:(

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
OH THE HORROR AND THE WOE!!

Can you help a brother out out here Phil? Will you take a few of these monsters off my hands?:weeping: :weeping:

Phil C
06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Can you help a brother out out here Phil? Will you take a few of these monsters off my hands?:weeping: :weeping:

ALAS! ALAS! I CANNOT! ALAS! SURELY THERE WILL BE HAPPIER DAYS THAN THESE!

crzyjournalist03
06-04-2008, 10:46 AM
One of my roommates in college wanted to save money and had them installed in the living room and in his room. I got sick with nausea and a headache two days in a row in the living room as a result, and had him take them down...those things are scary!

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
One of my roommates in college wanted to save money and had them installed in the living room and in his room. I got sick with nausea and a headache two days in a row in the living room as a result, and had him take them down...those things are scary!

Must have been the mercury vapors. Or maybe just the vapors?

crzyjournalist03
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Must have been the mercury vapors. Or maybe just the vapors?

Yeah...not totally sure what it was...I've never done well with fluorescent lights in general, but those things literally made me sick, and I've heard similar stories from other people.

I'm not sure it's worth the potential savings even for the longevity...incandescent light bulbs seem to last longer now than they did ten years ago. I have a lamp in my bedroom that I've had the same bulb in for about five years now.

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Yeah...not totally sure what it was...I've never done well with fluorescent lights in general, but those things literally made me sick, and I've heard similar stories from other people.

I'm not sure it's worth the potential savings even for the longevity...incandescent light bulbs seem to last longer now than they did ten years ago. I have a lamp in my bedroom that I've had the same bulb in for about five years now.

Out of the probably 25 I replaced, two have already burned out. So much for last longer. They also take time to "warm up" and you better install the same exact bulbs in any fixture you're doing. When I replaced the two that went bad, the replacement ones seem to have a slower "on" speed, so I get a blinking effect.

BobcatBenny
06-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Ron, I didn't have you pegged as a greeny weeinie, but I am proud of you for giving it the old college try . . . and then fessing up!

What are the side effects of mercury poisoning? :D

eppy 12
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Ron, I didn't have you pegged as a greeny weeinie, but I am proud of you for giving it the old college try . . . and then fessing up!

What are the side effects of mercury poisoning? :D 1. Psychological Disturbances (erethysm)
Irritability, Nervousness, Fits of Anger, Memory Loss, Lack of Attention, Depression, Low Self Confidence, Anxiety, Drowsiness, Shyness/timidity, Decline of Intellect, Insomnia, Low Self Control.

2. Oral Cavity Disorders
Bleeding Gums, White Patches - Mouth, Stomatitis, Bone Loss Around Teeth, Loosening of Teeth, Ulcers of Gums- Palate- Tongue, Excessive Saliva, Burning of Mouth, Foul Breath, Gum Pigmentation, Metalic Taste.

3. Gastrointestinal Effects
Abdominal Cramps, Colitis, Crohn's disease, Gastrointestinal Problems, Diarrhea.

4. Systemic Effects
Cardiovascular, Irregular Heart Beat, Changes in Blood Pressure, Feeble or Irregular Pulse, Pain or Pressure in Chest

5. Neurologic
Chronic or Frequent Headaches, Dizziness, Ringing or Noises in Ears, Fine Tremors (Hands, Feet, Eye Lids, Tongue)

6. Respiratory
Persistant Cough, Emphysema, Shallow or Irregular Breathing.

7. Immunological
Allergies, Asthma, Rhinitis, Sinusitis, Swollen Lymph Nodes in Neck

8. Endocrine
Subnormal Temperature, Cold Clammy Hands & Feet, Excessive Perspiration, Muscle Weakness, Fatigue, Hypoxia, Edema, Loss of Appetite, Loss of Weight, Joint Pain

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm just hopeful it doesn't involve any parts of the body separating and falling off!:eek: :eek:

eppy 12
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm just hopeful it doesn't involve any parts of the body separating and falling off!:eek: :eek: like the "greenie weenie"?:thinking:

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by eppy 12
1. Psychological Disturbances (erethysm)
Irritability, Nervousness, Fits of Anger, Memory Loss, Lack of Attention, Depression, Low Self Confidence, Anxiety, Drowsiness, Shyness/timidity, Decline of Intellect, Insomnia, Low Self Control.

2. Oral Cavity Disorders
Bleeding Gums, White Patches - Mouth, Stomatitis, Bone Loss Around Teeth, Loosening of Teeth, Ulcers of Gums- Palate- Tongue, Excessive Saliva, Burning of Mouth, Foul Breath, Gum Pigmentation, Metalic Taste.

Abdominal Cramps, Colitis, Crohn's disease, Gastrointestinal Problems, Diarrhea.

4. Systemic Effects
Cardiovascular, Irregular Heart Beat, Changes in Blood Pressure, Feeble or Irregular Pulse, Pain or Pressure in Chest

5. Neurologic
Chronic or Frequent Headaches, Dizziness, Ringing or Noises in Ears, Fine Tremors (Hands, Feet, Eye Lids, Tongue)

6. Respiratory

7. Immunological

8. Endocrine
Subnormal Temperature, Cold Clammy Hands & Feet, Excessive Perspiration, Muscle Weakness, Fatigue, Hypoxia, Edema, Loss of Appetite, Loss of Weight, Joint Pain

I'm still trying to find one of these I don't have. But then, at my age I probably deserve most of them and it's been a great life up to now.

As Dr. Seuss once said, "Oh the places you'll go"!!!

garciap77
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Evidently without doing enough research, I replaced almost all the incandescent light bulbs in my home with fluorescent ones about six months ago. I spent over $75 doing this and have actually achieved what I believe to be a decrease in electricity usage. At least my bill hasn't gone up, although it hasn't gone down either. And with fuel prices having gone through the roof, no increase is like getting a decrease, at least to my thinking.

There were sixteen 60 watt bulbs in one bathroom and 8 in the other, plus many other overhead and lamp bulbs. I was so proud of myself.

Now the article below has blown my efforts to pieces. I am depressed not only that I spent money to save money but thought I was helping energy usage, and even helping the environment. I did break one bulb while putting in the new ones, so I guess my health is doomed along with the potential damage I will do when I have to replace the new bulbs at some point five to ten years from now.

I now wonder if I should go buy new incandescent bulbs and reverse the damage I have done. But what do I do with the old fluorescent bulbs? They are like SUV's now, no residual value. What to do, what to do, what to do? Oh, woe is me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362102,00.html
I did the same thing! Two of my bulbs have gone out in less than a year! Electric bill is about the same, so I really don't know if it did any good.:(

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
like the "greenie weenie"?:thinking: :clap: :clap: :1omg!:

eppy 12
06-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm still trying to find one of these I don't have. But then, at my age I probably deserve most of them and it's been a great life up to now.

As Dr. Seuss once said, "Oh the places you'll go"!!!
As Jack once said, http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/JOKERBRAND-1.jpg:clap:

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Oh and Benny, the only green really involved is the color of money. I was trying to save on electric charges. This is too much like the law of unintended consequences.

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
1. Psychological Disturbances (erethysm)

2. Oral Cavity Disorders

4. Systemic Effects

5. Neurologic

6. Respiratory

7. Immunological

8. Endocrine

Eppy, what the heck classes are you taking that make you learn things like this? Sometimes I think it's just better to not know. Not that I want to be an ostrich, but could you just keep it from me?

eppy 12
06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Eppy, what the heck classes are you taking that make you learn things like this? Sometimes I think it's just better to not know. Not that I want to be an ostrich, but could you just keep it from me? but benny asked. the class is google;)

BobcatBenny
06-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Well, it looks like ol' Benny has mercury poisoning.

I have most of the symptoms.

Except that green weenie thing! More of a Barney the dinosaur . . . Oh never mind! :eek: :eek: :eek:

eppy 12
06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, it looks like ol' Benny has mercury poisoning.

I have most of the symptoms.

Except that green weenie thing! More of a Barney the dinosaur . . . Oh never mind! :eek: :eek: :eek: but that's purple benny:confused:

ronwx5x
06-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Hopefully garciap doesn't have any of these symptoms since he did the same thing I did.

Benny, sorry to hear about that Barney thing. You just never know nowadays. Maybe they can genesplice the mercury so its not poisonous. But then the Koreans probably wouldn't buy mercury from us.

We could just ship all the spent bulbs to North Korea and Iran. I understand they are now into deadly things.

BobcatBenny
06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Well let's all hope there is a Happy Ending! :D :eek: :D

Chief Woodman
06-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Ron- I am sorry to hear of your Quicksilver quandry. It is queer about the queue for quality illumination. Hopefully your Qat was not quilled by the shards. May I suggest perfoming steep turns over your rivals field while setting the remaing quicksilver units free. Keeps the PTS current while providing a comunity service.

ronwx5x
06-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Ron- I am sorry to hear of your Quicksilver quandry. It is queer about the queue for quality illumination. Hopefully your Qat was not quilled by the shards. May I suggest perfoming steep turns over your rivals field while setting the remaing quicksilver units free. Keeps the PTS current while providing a comunity service.

Sorry, I get sick to my stomach when I do that.

However, I am taking indications of interest in an investment in a new mercury mine. I believe I have located one near my home and it appears to have a vein of refined ore. Any interest?:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: