PDA

View Full Version : Lubbock Avalanche article on snyder baseball

Curly
06-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Dominant pitching duo propels Tigers
By Adam Zuvanich | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Story last updated at 6/4/2008 - 3:07 am

Picking a starting pitcher for the most important game of the season can be the most difficult decision a baseball coach has to make.

It's not so tough for Snyder coach Charles Bollinger, who could probably flip a coin and still come out on top.

Lance Day and Brent Bollinger are equally responsible for propelling sixth-ranked Snyder (33-6) to its eighth appearance in the UIL state tournament and first since 1986, and they're why the Tigers feel confident about their chances of winning the program's second state title. The talented senior right-handers have pitched the Tigers to 25 of their school-record 33 wins, including all seven of their playoff victories, while allowing a combined 11 runs in the postseason.

"Our two guys are good, and I feel great going in with the type of pitchers we have," said Charles Bollinger, whose team will face Hutto (27-7) in the Class 3A state semifinals at 3 p.m. today at Disch-Falk Field in Austin. "It's going to be tough for any team to score very many runs off of us. I think if we get one or two runs, we'll win the game."

Charles Bollinger said he plans to start Day against Hutto and save his son for Thursday's championship game - the elder Bollinger hurled a complete game to help Snyder win its only state title in 1983 - but the alternative would probably work just as well. Both throw hard and have good command of all their pitches, and both have big-game experience.

Brent Bollinger is 15-1 this season with a 0.85 ERA and 149 strikeouts in 99 innings, while Day is 10-5 with a 2.03 ERA and 146 strikeouts in 962/3 innings.

"I feel like with either one of them up there, we have an ace every time," said senior second baseman Dustin Murdock, who would be Snyder's third option on the mound. "Everybody on defense feels confident with both of them out there."

Bollinger and Day should feel just as confident in Snyder's offense, which is batting .328 and averaging more than seven runs per game for the season and the postseason. Charles Bollinger said the Tigers are just as adept at playing small ball as they are knocking it around the yard, and the numbers back up that claim.

The Tigers have clubbed 33 home runs and 62 doubles this year, and they're 45-of-53 on stolen-base attempts.

"I think we can beat anybody down there," said Murdock, who leads the team with 11 doubles, 46 RBIs and a school-record 13 homers. "I think we have what it takes to win state."

So does the Tigers' coach, who has tried to share his own state-tournament experiences from 25 years ago in an attempt to prepare his players. Charles Bollinger has told the Tigers to be ready for the pageantry and pressure that accompanies the state tournament, and for the often-sweltering heat on the artificial turf at Disch-Falk Field.

At the same time, he also wants his players to treat this week's games like any other.

"You can't play baseball being all tensed up," Bollinger said. "You've got to relax and realize it's just another game, and go out there and have fun.

"But for us, having fun is winning. That's definitely our goal is to win."

It's safe to say the entire Snyder community will be pulling for the Tigers, and probably the majority of West Texas. Snyder is the only team from the South Plains that made it to Austin this year, and an area team hasn't won a state championship since Andrews in 1999.

"All of West Texas is rooting for us and hoping we can bring home a gold medal," said Bollinger, who has received well-wishes from all over the region. "Everybody's been great and real supportive. We've just got to go out and do what we know how to do and play to the best of our ability, and I think everybody will be proud of us."

DaHop72
06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Now you're sucking up.:D :D

Curly
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
heres another one that is a little more important

Carroll's bout with cancer inspires state-bound Tigers
By Adam Zuvanich | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Story last updated at 6/3/2008 - 2:07 am

While his teammates are having the time of their lives, Dakota Carroll is fighting for his life.

The Snyder baseball team is preparing for its first state tournament game since 1986, but Carroll won't be in uniform Wednesday when the Tigers face Hutto for a Class 3A state semifinal at Disch-Falk Field in Austin. The freshman pitcher and infielder has a much more important game to win - his 18-month bout with Hodgkin's lymphoma.

The 15-year-old Carroll, a three-sport standout who played in two tournament games with the Tigers earlier this season, has spent most of the spring undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Now he's at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth, where he's waiting to receive a stem-cell transplant that could finally end his fight with cancer.

"It kind of puts things in perspective. We're out there having fun and just playing a game, and he's on a more serious note," Snyder head coach Charles Bollinger said. "(Playing in the state tournament) is not the biggest thing in the world, and we'd much rather him be with us. We'd give up everything for him to get healthy."

Although Carroll has been battling a much tougher opponent than his teammates - who are trying to win the program's second state title - he's remained a staunch supporter of the Tigers. He took breaks from chemotherapy to attend two of Snyder's playoff games during the last month, and after the Tigers beat Cooper in Thursday's regional final, he sent a congratulatory text message to fellow freshman Anthony Taylor.

"He sent a text to me that said, I'm glad y'all won. Good luck to y'a'll,'" said Taylor, Carroll's best friend since kindergarten. "He was very excited."

Taylor said Carroll hopes to make it to Austin this week so he can root for Snyder in person, but even if he can't, he'll certainly be with the Tigers in spirit. Each of Snyder's batting helmets is emblazoned with the slogan, "Never take a knee," which serves as a reminder of Carroll and his quest for recovery.

Roughly 700 Snyder residents also have T-shirts with the slogan, which was created by Taylor's mother, Jodi Campbell. Campbell began organizing fund-raisers for Carroll and his family in April, and she said about $20,000 has been raised to this point.

"Dakota is very involved in sports, and when a player gets hurt, everybody goes down on a knee to wait and see what happens," Campbell said of the reasoning behind the slogan. "We're not going to take a knee to cancer. We're going to fight it until it's gone."

According to Bollinger, Taylor and senior second baseman Dustin Murdock, Carroll's brave spirit has provided inspiration for all who know him. Taylor called his friend a "fighter" who doesn't want others to feel sorry for him, and Bollinger said he always seems to be in a cheerful mood despite his unenviable circumstances.

The coach also described Carroll as an "all-around great kid" who is well-liked by peers and elders.

"I wish everybody that calls me would be able to meet him," Campbell said, "to see how awesome of a kid he is."

Bollinger also said Carroll is an outstanding athlete, one of the best in his freshman class. He pitched a one-hitter in a junior varsity game earlier this season, and he also excels in basketball and football.

"He's a tough kid," Bollinger said. "I think when he overcomes this battle - we're all confident he will overcome it - he'll come back stronger than ever."

Perhaps Carroll will lead Snyder back to the state tournament in two or three years, but he might already own a state-championship ring by that point. The Tigers are determined to win two more games this season - as much for themselves as for their fallen teammate.

"He's definitely in the back of their minds, and our guys want to play well and make him proud," Bollinger said. "He's as much a part of our team as anybody else, and our guys know that if we win a gold medal, he's getting a gold medal, too."

Curly
06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72

not hardly
but good luck anyway

the article on the Carrol kid was good

tigerfan69
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72

I agree. Even Curley is joining the Tiger bandwagon.

:clap:

Curly
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by tigerfan69
I agree. Even Curley is joining the Tiger bandwagon.

:clap:

THAT AINT NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN
BUT I WILL ADMIT BOLLINGER HAS EM DOING WELL

If they play the Valley team it could be interesting

DaHop72
06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Great article Curly. As good of an athlete as he is, he is an even better young man. When he was still in Little League and was a "hoss" of a twelve year old you would never have known it by his actions. Where alot of twelve year olds are too cool for the nine year olds "Doc" as he is known knew everyone of the younger boys by name and treated them just as he did his peers. We hope and pray for the best for him and his family.

BobcatBenny
06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I can easily find myself pulling for the Tigers in this one.