PDA

View Full Version : Jasper QB Mitchell....

Matthew328
07-19-2002, 12:43 PM
What is the word....I have been hearing conflicting reports all summer..how is his back? Will he play or is he gonna sit out?

Bulldog92
07-19-2002, 01:12 PM
It's hard to say. I get the same feeling you do...that no one really knows for sure. They certainly wouldn't be #1 anymore if he couldn't play. I'm not in the area, so I can't help much. Have you (or can you) thought about calling the athletic department directly or would you have to wait until practice starts? I don't know what the protocol is for something like this. There might be one person actually in Jasper (Revielle) that posts to this board. The rest of us left the area...lol.

duckbutter
07-19-2002, 01:42 PM
I hate to say one way or the other because it never fails that someone will accuse my of spreading lies. I put a call in to Revielle so he can give his input. I first heard it from some of the coaches and then I heard it from some of the players here that know the kid. They all say that he is not playing due to a back injury. I think it is strange that nobody in Jasper is saying a word about it, makes you wonder. Like i said before, I hope the kid does get to play.

Bulldog92
07-19-2002, 01:48 PM
I completely agree. I really don't think we'll know for sure until the first game. I doubt they would use him much in the scrimmages if there was any question as to whether he can play. I still want to know what kind of depth we have at tailback if McQueen has to take over for Mitchell. If we have someone good waiting to play, then everything will be fine, but I'd rather see Mitchell and McQueen out there together...

Dealer
07-19-2002, 02:27 PM
He'll play...You're probably not hearing anything because it's not in question.

duckbutter
07-19-2002, 02:30 PM
Hope so..

Reveille
07-19-2002, 02:46 PM
Bulldog 92, I was just like you back in 82 when I graduated. Swore if I ever got out of this town I would never come back LOL. After graduating college and living on Long Island for a couple of years, I decided Jasper was not that bad a place to raise a family. Famous last words!!
Now, as far as Mitchell is concerned. I was told by a player that Mitchell was advised by the Dr. that he should not continue with football due to the back injury. Three weeks ago, his mother said that he was ready to play. Today, I spoke with a neighbor of his who told me that he is out riding a 4-wheeler just about every day. If his back was in that bad of shape, I doubt he would be on a 4-wheeler. I will do some more snooping around and try to get a more definitive answer for everyone by next week.
If McQueen does have to go at QB, it will hurt. Not so much in the RB slot, but in the QB spot. Jasper has always been able to plug another running back in and keep on going. The diference between McQueen and Mitchell is this, Mitchell can sling the ball. McQueen might be a little better runner, but he can't touch Mitchell in the passing department. Duckbutter will certainly agree with me on this.
Until next week.............

Bulldog92
07-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Ahh...so you were gone right before they had that nice run in '82. I can barely remember that. I live just south of Seattle now (about 15 miles) and I love it here, but I'm sure I'll eventually find my way back home just like you did. Anyway, thanks for the insight about Mitchell. How's Coach Lauve fitting in?

Reveille
07-19-2002, 04:05 PM
As far as I know he is fitting in well. I understand that they are going to run a different defense this year. Lord knows it can't be any worse than last years defense.
The defense is going to have to improve for Jasper to make a deep run in the playoffs. If they can do that, it could get interesting.

Bulldog92
07-19-2002, 04:20 PM
I don't think our defense has ever been that vulnerable, but most of the teams we played had to get pass-happy to get back into games where we jumped out early...like Forest Brook. We've always been a good run-stopping team and teams that throw the ball have always given us fits. Remember the two Clements kids at Huntsville? Those guys ate us up every time for over 300 yards in the air...even when we had a good defense. We did a good job against the run last year, too, for the most part, and passing teams killed us. Offenses are passing more than they ever have against us and we haven't adjusted to it yet. To me, that's the problem and we need to get more pressure on the QB to stop it.

J-DAWG2003
07-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328:
What is the word....I have been hearing conflicting reports all summer..how is his back? Will he play or is he gonna sit out?

Alex Padgett
07-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Mitchell will play this season. Back is fine.
I go to Jasper High.

-Alex Padgett

Old Cardinal
07-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Alex, I am glad to hear that Mitchel is back-I hate of see a kid not be able to play because of an injury.

J-DAWG2003
07-28-2002, 12:34 PM
I will be on the field this year