PDA

View Full Version : Breckenridge Hires Fambrough

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Fambrough leaving Seymour, takes Breckenridge job
By Zach Duncan
Tuesday, June 3, 2008

David Fambrough accomplished a great deal in his first year at Seymour, guiding the Panthers to the Class A football title game for the only time in school history.

But if the Panthers provide an encore performance next year, it won’t be with the same head coach.

Fambrough was approved Monday night to become the next head football coach at Breckenridge, a tradition-rich program that has seen plenty of instability lately.

“It’s always been a dream job of mine,” Fambrough said. “I have family from Breckenridge. My grandparents lived here, and it’s a great opportunity.”

Not only did Seymour qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 1999 under Fambrough, but with a senior-laced squad the Panthers (10-4) advanced to the Division I championship, losing to Alto. He was named the Times Record News Small School Red River 22 Co-Coach of the Year.

“It was a magical season,” Fambrough said. “Seymour has great kids and a great administration. This wasn’t an easy decision. It was extremely difficult.”

Fambrough said he didn’t even apply for the Breckenridge job. He first received a phone call from school officials last Tuesday gauging his interest.

“They called and called and came up with an offer I couldn’t say no to,” Fambrough said.

Fambrough wasn’t the first candidate tabbed by the Breckenridge administration, either.

Donny Funderburg, a former Buckaroos offensive coordinator and alum, was recommended for the job at a school board meeting last Tuesday. However, the board of trustees voted 4-3 against Funderburg’s hiring.

Fambrough is the third head coach in as many seasons for Breckenridge, which has won six state football championships, but none since 1959. The Buckaroos haven’t made the playoffs the past two seasons.

Jeff Berry, who resigned almost a month ago, went 3-7 in his only year of duty. Stan Howard was 14-8 in the two seasons before that.

“It’s a place that needs healing and stability,” Fambrough said. “I told them I wanted to be here for a while. It is a tough situation, but so was Seymour.”

After coaching in arguably the toughest Class A district last season, Fambrough will be making the jump to a daunting Class 3A district.

Breckenridge’s District 2-3A opponents are Abilene Wylie, Brownwood, Graham, Snyder and Sweetwater. Those six programs have won 15 state titles between them.

The 2007 season was Fambrough’s first as a head coach. Prior to that, he had spent the past eight seasons as the offensive coordinator at Pflugerville Connally.

Staff sports writer Zach Duncan can be reached weekdays after 4 p.m. by calling 720-3470 or 1-800-627-1646. Or e-mail him at duncanz(at)timesrecordnews.com.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/jun/03/fambrough-leaving-seymour-takes-breckenridge-job/

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Fambrough leaving Seymour, takes Breckenridge job
By Zach Duncan
Tuesday, June 3, 2008

David Fambrough accomplished a great deal in his first year at Seymour, guiding the Panthers to the Class A football title game for the only time in school history.

But if the Panthers provide an encore performance next year, it won’t be with the same head coach.

Fambrough was approved Monday night to become the next head football coach at Breckenridge, a tradition-rich program that has seen plenty of instability lately.

“It’s always been a dream job of mine,” Fambrough said. “I have family from Breckenridge. My grandparents lived here, and it’s a great opportunity.”

Not only did Seymour qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 1999 under Fambrough, but with a senior-laced squad the Panthers (10-4) advanced to the Division I championship, losing to Alto. He was named the Times Record News Small School Red River 22 Co-Coach of the Year.

“It was a magical season,” Fambrough said. “Seymour has great kids and a great administration. This wasn’t an easy decision. It was extremely difficult.”

Fambrough said he didn’t even apply for the Breckenridge job. He first received a phone call from school officials last Tuesday gauging his interest.

“They called and called and came up with an offer I couldn’t say no to,” Fambrough said.

Fambrough wasn’t the first candidate tabbed by the Breckenridge administration, either.

Donny Funderburg, a former Buckaroos offensive coordinator and alum, was recommended for the job at a school board meeting last Tuesday. However, the board of trustees voted 4-3 against Funderburg’s hiring.

Fambrough is the third head coach in as many seasons for Breckenridge, which has won six state football championships, but none since 1959. The Buckaroos haven’t made the playoffs the past two seasons.

Jeff Berry, who resigned almost a month ago, went 3-7 in his only year of duty. Stan Howard was 14-8 in the two seasons before that.

“It’s a place that needs healing and stability,” Fambrough said. “I told them I wanted to be here for a while. It is a tough situation, but so was Seymour.”

After coaching in arguably the toughest Class A district last season, Fambrough will be making the jump to a daunting Class 3A district.

Breckenridge’s District 2-3A opponents are Abilene Wylie, Brownwood, Graham, Snyder and Sweetwater. Those six programs have won 15 state titles between them.

The 2007 season was Fambrough’s first as a head coach. Prior to that, he had spent the past eight seasons as the offensive coordinator at Pflugerville Connally.

Staff sports writer Zach Duncan can be reached weekdays after 4 p.m. by calling 720-3470 or 1-800-627-1646. Or e-mail him at duncanz(at)timesrecordnews.com.

What is he thinking??????
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/jun/03/fambrough-leaving-seymour-takes-breckenridge-job/

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim

Wonder where he'll go next year?

kaorder1999
06-03-2008, 09:43 AM
maybe im missing it but what was the board vote on his hiring?

Phil C
06-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Wonder where he'll go next year?

:) :clap:

nobogey72
06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
So....... how is this hire sitting with the community? Seems like everyone wanted them to hire Funderburg. But this guy sounds like a good one.

ronwx5x
06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Breck, does this hire smooth any ruffled feathers?
Sounds like you folks needed a calm and decisive coach and you got one.

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
maybe im missing it but what was the board vote on his hiring?

Great point KA. That is why I said that the AD will be next.

RedWhiteBlue
06-03-2008, 09:50 AM
He may be okay if what I have heard about how rough Seymour can be on their coaches. He may be used to being hammered on quite a bit and Breck may be his "dream job" after all as he said. Maybe he can build them up and turn things around for the boys and Bucks.

RedWhiteBlue
06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I still think the whole HC not have the AD duties is an issue for him though. IMO

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2008, 09:56 AM
KA--Vote was not given. I would expect 7-0 or 6-1, just because the 4 against would probably be for and the others probably knew they had no chance and voted for the guy. He should be good and seems to have a great philosophy.

Tiny Tim/ Phil--Show some compassion!:mad:

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
He may be okay if what I have heard about how rough Seymour can be on their coaches. He may be used to being hammered on quite a bit and Breck may be his "dream job" after all as he said. Maybe he can build them up and turn things around for the boys and Bucks.

Heck ya and maybe they can even make the playoffs in football this next year. Or possibly even win the district next year. Sounds like a great story in the making. Especially with only 20 or 30 players.

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
KA--Vote was not given. I would expect 7-0 or 6-1, just because the 4 against would probably be for and the others probably knew they had no chance and voted for the guy. He should be good and seems to have a great philosophy.

Tiny Tim/ Phil--Show some compassion!:mad:

Sorry!!

kaorder1999
06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry!!

my first thought was if it was unanimous or 6-1 then they would have mentioned it.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Breck, does this hire smooth any ruffled feathers?
Sounds like you folks needed a calm and decisive coach and you got one.

I think it does help the situation some. We got a great coach, and people realize that and will appreciate it. I don't think anyone will be against him.

If anything, there will be backlash against the school board. Expect either 1) clean house on the next election or 2) recall votes if the town is that mad. The fact that they would not give a reason does not help their cause at all, and two of the original 4 were very recently sworn in.

I don't see the AD going anywhere. He's a respected man in the community, very smart, and historically people have trusted his word because he's in tune with the environment in town. Losing him would hurt the program.

Not having an AD/HC combo is good for the town. Trust me on this--we can go round and round all day on reasons why or why not, so I won't even argue. However, from my experiences, it helps the town with balance of power in sports. I can definitely understand a coach having hesitations by not getting that with the job, but he knew what the position was when he accepted.

Good luck to Coach Fambrough. It will be a rough first couple of years, but the town WILL support you through this.

RedWhiteBlue
06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Heck ya and maybe they can even make the playoffs in football this next year. Or possibly even win the district next year. Sounds like a great story in the making. Especially with only 20 or 30 players.
Your right, I could also be saying I know Joe Blow Buck who told me at Ken's yesterday that they won't even have Walter Waterboy next year, too. I was just trying to look on the bright side for the boy's sake. :)

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it does help the situation some. We got a great coach, and people realize that and will appreciate it. I don't think anyone will be against him.

If anything, there will be backlash against the school board. Expect either 1) clean house on the next election or 2) recall votes if the town is that mad. The fact that they would not give a reason does not help their cause at all, and two of the original 4 were very recently sworn in.

I don't see the AD going anywhere. He's a respected man in the community, very smart, and historically people have trusted his word because he's in tune with the environment in town. Losing him would hurt the program.

Not having an AD/HC combo is good for the town. Trust me on this--we can go round and round all day on reasons why or why not, so I won't even argue. However, from my experiences, it helps the town with balance of power in sports. I can definitely understand a coach having hesitations by not getting that with the job, but he knew what the position was when he accepted.

Good luck to Coach Fambrough. It will be a rough first couple of years, but the town WILL support you through this.

You know the board and AD positions as well as all administrative positions are advised by their lawyers not to give reasons for their decisions due to the potential for a law suit. They just say that they are going in a different direction.

As for Donny Funderburg he wanted the AD and HC job most likely and when they would not give that to him, it killed the deal.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM

As for Donny Funderburg he wanted the AD and HC job most likely and when they would not give that to him, it killed the deal.

I can say with 95% certainty that is not true.

TinyTim
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Your right, I could also be saying I know Joe Blow Buck who told me at Ken's yesterday that they won't even have Walter Waterboy next year, too. I was just trying to look on the bright side for the boy's sake. :)

You are right. I am sorry to come across so mean and my dogs aren't even in that fight. Your are right, it is a tough situation and we should not make it any more difficult than it already is. And we should give this guy a fair chance. Just like Brownwood, Wylie, Snyder and Sweetwater will in the fall.

ronwx5x
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
You know the board and AD positions as well as all administrative positions are advised by their lawyers not to give reasons for their decisions due to the potential for a law suit. They just say that they are going in a different direction.

1. He obviously does not know what the lawyers advised or he wouldn't have said what he said.

2. Lawyers advise, they don't make rules. The board could and probably should make a statement, at least in support of their choice or explaining the choice they made.

3. Sounds like they may have made their choice on who not to hire because they knew who they would hire. Maybe this should be their public statement.

RedWhiteBlue
06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
You are right. I am sorry to come across so mean and my dogs aren't even in that fight. Your are right, it is a tough situation and we should not make it any more difficult than it already is. And we should give this guy a fair chance. Just like Brownwood, Wylie, Snyder and Sweetwater will in the fall.
I don't have a dog either and don't really know anything about the situation. I just hate it for the kids and hope in the end it works out well for everyone involved.:cool:

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
No matter who the coach is this district is one of the toughest in the state. Man I would hate to be facing this competition every week. It may make for several rebuilding years.

LH Panther Mom
06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
3. Sounds like they may have made their choice on who not to hire because they knew who they would hire. Maybe this should be their public statement.
That thought crossed my mind.

Best of luck to Coach Fambrough and the Buckeroos!

GreenMonster
06-04-2008, 12:38 AM
I guess my source was solid on this one. ;)

GreenMonster
06-04-2008, 12:52 AM

I heard who the new guy would be before the Funderberg meeting. I have an extremely good source on this one and Fambrough was offered the job Thursday and he verbally accepted. I think if he had declined Funderberg would have gotten the nod. Since Fambrough accepted, Funderberg was shot down very publicly. It wasn't a pretty picture, but in the end Breck still got a quality coach and a strong role model for their children.

tog
11-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Fambrough is a good one. Just let him do his job