PDA

View Full Version : I think neck rolls and pads are cool

orange machine
06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
I have noticed something, Celina has alot of players that wear neck rolls or cowboy collars. I think they look pretty cool and also make you look alot bigger. I havent seen alot of other schools that wear them all that much.

Emerson1
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Seems like every player on celina wears them, maybe thats the key to success

orange machine
06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Could be who knows. Those dang things make you look like you are about 30 lbs bigger. Celina has a kid who will be a senior this year, he is 6'7 and weights some where around 300 lbs i want to see him put one of those neck rolls on. Man he would look massive and intimidating as heck.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
They have more utility than anything else. I refuse to play without a butterfly restrictor or a neck roll. See my signature. ;)

Emerson1
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
What do they do?

easttexas3a
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
They help stabalize your neck and had during collisions, they do look nice, but they are definitly something that helps the player, and thats a thing more people should take a look at in my opinion.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What do they do?

When I hit I lead with my facemask, so the knock-back of my head is restricted and keeps it from hurting my neck.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
When I hit I lead with my facemask, so the knock-back of my head is restricted and keeps it from hurting my neck.

Unfortunately you have to hit hard for them to play a factor. :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Unfortunately you have to hit hard for them to play a factor. :D

Exactly why I wear one just in case someone hits me hard. :rolleyes:

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Exactly why I wear one just in case someone hits me hard. :rolleyes:

Good thinking brother. Like a boy scout. Always be prepared.:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Good thinking brother. Like a boy scout. Always be prepared.:D

Boy scouts are your favorites right?

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Boy scouts are your favorites right?

ABSOLUTELY!!!:)

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Actually I was never a boy scout, but I have eaten a brownie or two. :D

orange machine
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Celina's linemen wear the big neck rolls and the linebackers wear those flate board looking ones. The only way to wear it is with your jersy pulled over it, it makes you look 10% bigger than you really are.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Actually I was never a boy scout, but I have eaten a brownie or two. :D

And by brownie, you mean a male, right?

Gobbla2001
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
cowboy collars look alright on the right player, but on a 5'10 145 pound kid they don't...

some people used to tell me they look intimidating... I said that without the cowboy collar and pads on that kid looks like any other pimple-faced dork walkin' down the halls...

trojan37
06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I used to wear one when I was in high school. It's an exellent tool to help prevent neck injury, which is what it's for, not for looks. If you're too worried about how big or how cool you look on the field with your equipment on, you don't need to be playing at all. A cousin of mine went to school in Robinson, and he said on of their coaches told him they had to put in a policy against some stuff(UnderArmor) that was getting out of hand. They had kids wearing over $100 in UnderArmor crap and never setting foot on the field. Stupid.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Celina's linemen wear the big neck rolls and the linebackers wear those flate board looking ones. The only way to wear it is with your jersy pulled over it, it makes you look 10% bigger than you really are.

The jersey over it restricted my head movement when I would turn my head. I didnt wear it for looks. I wore it in case someone hit me too hard. :D

orange machine
06-02-2008, 09:32 PM
On some of these kids now days they look huge.

orange machine
06-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I used to wear one when I was in high school. It's an exellent tool to help prevent neck injury, which is what it's for, not for looks. If you're too worried about how big or how cool you look on the field with your equipment on, you don't need to be playing at all. A cousin of mine went to school in Robinson, and he said on of their coaches told him they had to put in a policy against some stuff(UnderArmor) that was getting out of hand. They had kids wearing over $100 in UnderArmor crap and never setting foot on the field. Stupid.

Crap you look at alot of these kids playing and they have all kinds of junk on that they probably dont need, but many wear it because it looks cool. The way i see it if you play better because you look cool then by all means wear it. When i was in school alot of us wore cowboy collars for protection, but also to look a little bigger. I was 5'10 and 160 lbs and played outside linebacker. I guess the coaches felt that since i put the cowboy collar on it made me look bigger so in the program they listed me at 175lbs.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Crap you look at alot of these kids playing and they have all kinds of junk on that they probably dont need, but many wear it because it looks cool. The way i see it if you play better because you look cool then by all means wear it. When i was in school alot of us wore cowboy collars for protection, but also to look a little bigger. I was 5'10 and 160 lbs and played outside linebacker. I guess the coaches felt that since i put the cowboy collar on it made me look bigger so in the program they listed me at 175lbs.

175 does sound better than 160. We didnt list weights on our program.

orange machine
06-02-2008, 09:57 PM

True it does sound much better. Our middle backer was 6'0 225 so next to him i needed a little help.

orange machine
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Sports equipment has come along way over the past few years. Remember the round tube neck rolls you put a string through, those were nice.:cool:

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Sports equipment has come along way over the past few years. Remember the round tube neck rolls you put a string through, those were nice.:cool:

I couldnt use one of those at all. Couldnt turn my head left or right because my facemask caught on it.

orange machine
06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I tried one in pewee football and then by the time i got into high school in 96 they had the cowboy collar out.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I tried one in pewee football and then by the time i got into high school in 96 they had the cowboy collar out.

I didnt play until jr. high. I tried one for one day of practice and never wore it again. Went straight to the cowboy collar.

orange machine
06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Remember the ones that had like a roll around your neck and then on the back of your head it looked like box, it was huge.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Remember the ones that had like a roll around your neck and then on the back of your head it looked like box, it was huge.

hahaha....oh yeah. I forgot about those things.

orange machine
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
I honestly think that Celina still uses some of those still. If you go to celinabobcats.com you can look at game pics and see some of the massive neck rolls. I saw a dude one time who had a cowboy collar on and then a neck roll around the cowboy collar talk about stupid looking.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I honestly think that Celina still uses some of those still. If you go to celinabobcats.com you can look at game pics and see some of the massive neck rolls. I saw a dude one time who had a cowboy collar on and then a neck roll around the cowboy collar talk about stupid looking.

HAHAHAHAHA....that is genius.

Emerson1
06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
It's like players who have those bands on every muscle on their body then have their feet taped and cutters

orange machine
06-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah some times it goes a little far.

FutureAD
06-02-2008, 11:58 PM

i was a safety so i could of worn one if i wanted because of the type of defense we ran i was also a linebacker but it restricts movement in trying to turn and look around and that was bad when you were covering someone...but ya im 5'9" and about 160 and in our program i was about 5'11" 185 haha