PDA

View Full Version : Got me thinking.

Necks_Fan
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Teams like Cincinatti that have 6 legit starters.

Harang
Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey
Belisle (Whoever their other #5 was)

Have they ever considered having a 6 man rotation to rest them another day? It seems like pitchers pitch better when they get that extra day of rest.

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

Harang
Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

Have they ever considered having a 6 man rotation to rest them another day? It seems like pitchers pitch better when they get that extra day of rest.

ehh IMO the Reds are nowhere close to have 6 legit solid starters they have one in Volquez who is under 2.00 ERA and one in Harang under 4.00..every other guy has ERA that are terrible

SWMustang
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ehh IMO the Reds are nowhere close to have 6 legit solid starters they have one in Volquez who is under 2.00 ERA and one in Harang under 4.00..every other guy has ERA that are terrible

he didn't say they were good legit starters. I bet every team has 2 or 3 guys with 4+ ERA's. :)

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Detroit has this same problem. Dontrelle Willis came off the DL
and now they have to find room for him. Galarraga has been
pitching well in his absence. Jim Leyland said when Willis gets
his first start, he is going to pitch four innings. Then, no matter
what the score or pitch count is, he is going to be relieved by
Galarraga.:confused:

Necks_Fan
06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Detroit has this same problem. Dontrelle Willis came off the DL
and now the have to find room for him. Galarraga has been
pitching well in his absence. Jim Leyland said when Willis gets
his first start, he is going to pitch four innings. Then, no matter
what the score or pitch count is going to be relieved by
Galarraga.:confused: Yea. Beats me.

I wonder why they kept Moehler in the rotation and brought Sampson to the pen. It's not like Moehler has just been ownderful and Sampson' last start was a good one. Hm.:confused:

crzyjournalist03
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM

Harang
Volquez
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

one NL team (can't remember which one...maybe the Mets?) flirted with it for a couple of weeks last year...they found that it really got guys off their schedules and it wasn't working out for anybody.

Most teams will keep a sixth starter as their "long reliever" and use him to mop up innings when games go sour to preserve the rest of the bullpen, then if they have a doubleheader or need a spot start, that sixth man will sub in as a starter.

Necks_Fan
06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
one NL team (can't remember which one...maybe the Mets?) flirted with it for a couple of weeks last year...they found that it really got guys off their schedules and it wasn't working out for anybody.

Most teams will keep a sixth starter as their "long reliever" and use him to mop up innings when games go sour to preserve the rest of the bullpen, then if they have a doubleheader or need a spot start, that sixth man will sub in as a starter. I think it was the mtes.

They had glavine/Pedro/Perez/ Pelfrey/ and a few others.

A bunch of legit guys.

crzyjournalist03
06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I think it was the mtes.

They had glavine/Pedro/Perez/ Pelfrey/ and a few others.

A bunch of legit guys.

yeah...I think they were trying to give Pedro Martinez a little more time between his starts...that sounds right to me.