PDA

View Full Version : BANDERA PRIDE.....

BULLDOGFAN
11-24-2002, 08:15 AM
Well looks likes the Bandera pride is alive and well in this little town. You guys kicked butt and held your head in a nail biter of a game.

Hat's off to the Brett & Heep and the offensive line for their multi- dimensional aerial attacks.

To the foot of Scott Jennings, can that boy kick or what....

And to the Defense and their HUGE DEFENSIVE STAND in the fourth quarter. Bryan, A.J., Colton, Ryan, Synjyn, Cody, Robert, Chad, Matt, Aarron, & Brad. Keep that Defense coming.

Congratulations guys, time for revenge on that little ole town from down South.

Where the Seawall Defense mets the Barbwire Defense.

Congrat's again.

Raider4ever
11-24-2002, 09:56 AM
If it where not for the wind at that guys back it would have been a differnt story for that 47 yard kick. But it was a good game no doubt just thought id clear it up about that kick.

Tiny
11-24-2002, 10:40 AM
congradulations on the win, keep it going for D25-3A. Liberty Hill wishes you well the rest of the way.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-24-2002, 11:49 AM
Congratulations Bulldogs. I don't know if I'm right, but I think you all were the underdogs. Well, you all showed them that you all can play. Next, you all have to face us. I just got to tell you all one thing, we play hard. Well, I hope you all practice hard because we are. I want to have another good game. See you all next week.

06statebound71
11-24-2002, 12:51 PM
when and where is the bandera game going to be this week?

good luck agsinst port isabel

Kool Tarpon 21
11-24-2002, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure yet, but I think it's going to be Saturday, November 30, 2002, at Victoria, TX, at 2:00 pm. Well, good luck to everybody.

BULLDOGFAN
11-24-2002, 08:06 PM
The game is Saturday in Victoria 2:00 P.M.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Hey Rick! Check your PM!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Hey Rick! Check your PM!!!

MightyBlue27
11-25-2002, 05:55 PM
I cant wait until kickoff....and to all the Bandera players.....I advise that you do not and I stress DO NOT underestimate this lil ole team from down south......because all the teams that have thought the Tarpons are a bunch of pushovers were proven WRONG......good luck to both teams and lets hope for an injury free game.......peace!

greendog fan
11-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Raider4ever:
If it where not for the wind at that guys back it would have been a differnt story for that 47 yard kick. But it was a good game no doubt just thought id clear it up about that kick.IF IF IF Thats a pretty big word. Did you have a chance for the wind at you back for the 4th qt. before the game started?IF you did it lookes like to me you made a bad choice. Always want the wind at your back in the 4th qt.

BULLDOGFAN
11-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Exactly GreenDog, glad someone else made that comment. Seemed to me that Scotty was kicking the ball into the end zone both with and against the wind. Don't think it would have a made a difference either way.

And to all the Port Isabel players of the past, I apoligize, but this ole Tarpon is gonna have to pick Bandera in this one, Ya see this Tarpon raised a Bulldog, so now it's his turn to win.

Good luck to both teams... And may everyone have a safe injury free game. Good Luck Tarps'

Does Linda still YELL the loudest from the stands?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2002, 07:34 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
Does Linda still YELL the loudest from the stands?Dang Rick, I dunno. She's still pretty damn loud, but as far as being the LOUDEST? I'm not sure about that. You know darn well, you being a FORMER TARPON and all that the Port Isabel "jente" (or is it spelled "gente"??? Anyway, it's a Spanish word for "crowd") can get pretty darn loud. I guess now I think Robin is the loudest, considering her son is #11 on Port Isabel's team, Orlando Ochoa. But yeah, Linda is still pretty darn loud.

For those of you who are wondering, BULLDOGFAN and I are actually cousins, and we both grew up as Tarpons. UNFORTUNATELY, BULLDOGFAN had to move away to Bandera and raised a son in Bulldog country......wrong choice, bubba!!! Should've stayed in good ol' Port Isabel! wink

Big Tarp 74
11-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Here is a little on PI and AP.

Updated 11/24/2002 00:51:20 CST

Tarpons played with big heart

Paul Conatzer
By PAUL CONATZER
Valley Morning Star
Oh yeah, Aransas Pass was big. Real big.

The Panthers had a 6-foot-4, 220-pounder in fullback Tommy Blake, who is a legitimate Division I prospect. They had a 6-2, 190-pound quarterback and a handful of 250 pound-plus linemen.

But in the end, that physical advantage couldn’t match up with the intangible advantage the Port Isabel Tarpons had.

"We played with a lot of heart," Tarpons tight end Kevin Kallus said after the Tarpons had stopped Aransas Pass with a 20-19 come-from-behind victory at Coyote Stadium in Alice on Friday night in the area round of the Class 3A playoffs.

The Tarpons played with a heart the size of 6-4, 295-pound Aransas Pass lineman Josh Cavallin.

It takes something a little bit special inside to come back three times in the intense atmosphere of playoff football.

Before the game, PI coach Monty Stumbaugh had expressed concern about Blake, and rightly so.

Blake, who is a senior, had rushed for 1,851 yards on 229 carries coming into Friday night’s game.

The Panthers’ senior fullback, who is considering attending Arkansas or Colorado, was impressive. He rushed for 161 yards on 23 carries and scored all of AP’s touchdowns.

However, he seemed to be a little slow in getting up from some of the solid shots the Tarpons laid on him.

Finally, on the Panthers’ last drive, Blake was thrown for a 2-yard loss to put his squad in a second-and-12 at the PI 45. He limped off the field and didn’t return. The Panthers put up a game fight without their main weapon, but their season ended when Tyler Ogle was pushed out of bounds a yard short of a first down at the PI 35 with 1:43 left.

The Tarpons ran out the clock from there. Johnny Nieto carried the ball twice for 15 yards total before quarterback Gabriel Alvarez took a knee twice to end the game.

Nieto’s two carries in the game’s waning moments were just proof that PI was going to do what PI does and that is run the football.

The Tarpons did run, not as well as they normally do. But, Stumbaugh and his staff never wavered from their plan and their faith worked. PI averaged slightly more than 50 percent of their normal 300 yards a game. But, the Tarpons, who finished with 159 yards on the ground, gained the yardage when needed.

Nieto, who finished with 60 yards on 15 carries, picked up half of the 46 yards of the Tarpons’ scoring drive, including the last nine for the score to put PI up for the first time at 14-7.

By the way, that drive was started when Orlando Ochoa picked off an option pass from AP running back Corey Hale that was tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Quarterback Gabriel Alvarez had a solid game. He completed six-of-seven passes for 90 yards, including a 16-yard scoring pass to Ochoa.

He also hooked up twice with big passes to Misael Iracheta (four catches for 75 yards). The Alvarez/Iracheta combo clicked on a 23-yard completion on a third-and-13 during the Tarpons’ first scoring drive that was completed by Alvarez finding Ochoa wind open in the end zone.

Alvarez and Iracheta had a big hand in the Tarpons’ final scoring drive, which answered Blake’s 58-yard touchdown run.

The duo connected on a 31-yard completion that put the ball at the AP 9. On the next play, Joey Loera went in from the nine for the touchdown that put PI in the next round of the playoffs.

The "Seawall Defense" bent and broke a little bit, but it was never totally broached. They stopped Blake and the Panthers when it was needed and the Tarpons’ heart grew a little larger and beat a little prouder.

It’s beginning to look a little like 1994 for Port Isabel. The Tarpons will play Bandera in the next round of the playoffs.

PI fans will remember beating Bandera back in ’94 on the way to the state semifinals.

An omen? Who knows?

All I know is that PI is on a roll and has won eight straight.

<small>[ November 25, 2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
11-25-2002, 09:21 PM
One can't even imagine the emotions this game is bringing out for me. My family was Tarpon spirit through and through, four brothers played there and Hell I even married the prettiest cheerleader Port Isabel ever had.

And now my kid plays for Bandera. The camera and video will not stop for this one.

Who would have ever thought...

So Robin is louder than her Mom? Damn what a legacy to inherit....

As usual, in Tarpon fashion, we will be there early.

May the best team win.

Bandera by 16:)

BULLDOGFAN
11-25-2002, 09:22 PM
One can't even imagine the emotions this game is bringing out for me. My family was Tarpon spirit through and through, four brothers played there and I even married a cheerleader from Port Isabel.

And now my kid plays for Bandera. The camera and video will not stop for this one.

Who would have ever thought...

So Robin is louder than her Mom? Damn what a legacy to inherit....

As usual, in Tarpon fashion, we will be there early.

May the best team win.

Bandera by 16:)

<small>[ November 26, 2002, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

Old Dog
11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Us green Bulldogs from Burnet are pulling for you guys! Let our District claim all of Region IV and beyond. GO BANDERA BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG19
11-26-2002, 12:29 PM
Have to echo Old Dog. GO BANDERA!!!! Do it again and again. Best of luck to both teams and have great game!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Y'know, there's a reason why we LOVE to be underrated so much.

Big Tarp 74
11-26-2002, 06:17 PM
When it get to this level, anything can happen. The problem is, most of these teams, have not played anyone in common, so it is hard to know. As for Port Isabel, they will play who ever hard. This team has being over look a lot. They can put up a good fight on any given friday. I think they will give Bandera real trouble. They are fast, and they will hit people, make no mistake. PI line took Tommy Blake best shots, and with stood them. I dont know about you, but this team has had a hard season, with big schools, weak in and weak out. Aransas Pass was unable to wear them complete down, and they were huge plus they had speed. Aransas Pass was having just as much trouble stoping our quick backs as well. Many times they were just an arm tackles away from breaking it. PI linebackers punished Tommy Blake all game lone. These boys will hit with their engines wide open. I have also noticed that teams are still thing PI will only run, they will do both. Aransas Pass found that out quick. Our receivers are some of the fastest in the entire state, and our running backs, are just as quick. The following is what PI had to face in Aransas Pass.

big daddy russ
Varsity
Member # 1096

Rate Member posted November 23, 2002 03:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like I said, the Panthers aren't small by any means...

Starting offensive line:
OT: Josh Cavallin 6'4" 295
TJ Sanchez 5'9" 275
OG: Albert Wagner 6' 225
Jason Torres 5'11" 225
C: Tony Byrnes 6'3" 270

Backups:
Brian Clark 6'1" 275
Andrew Byrnes 6' 270
Reuben Davila 5'10" 220 (word is that he runs a 4.9)
Paul Martinez 6'1" 225

Defensive Line:
DE: Polito Palma 5'10" 205
Paul Martinez 6'1" 225
DT: Reuben Davila 5'10" 220

Backups:
Chris Paez 6'1" 295
Andrew Byrnes 6' 270
Brian Clark 6'1" 275

Add 6'4" 225-pound running back Tommy Blake, 6'2" 200-pound quarterback John David Heard and 6'3" 205 tight end Robert Scheibe to a line that averages about 6'1" 258 and that offense is pretty darned big for a R4 team. They gave us a good year.

Region 4:

DI - Sinton -vs- Burnet ( Sinton by 12 )
DII - Port Isabel -vs- Bandera ( Port Isabel by 7 )

DII - Yoakum -vs- Wes Oso ( Yoakum by 16 )
:D :D