PDA

View Full Version : Truck Issues

Fal44
06-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Ok well I've had my 2003 gmc sierra for about 11 months now and I'm already having issues. It only has 39,000 miles on it, so its not the miles issue. My fuel line recently messed up and had to get that replaced, now tonight my truck did not want to start, the battery wasn't the problem... I'm not a truck guy so I have no idea what it is this time...

Question is Should it be time to trade it in? or just weird how these to events happened within 1 1/2 months...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 01:49 AM
It depends on a lot of things as to why it won't start. I'll be up for awhile if you want to discuss it in the chat room.

rancher
06-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Having repaired a few vehicles in the past, I highly suspect you may have a bad fuel pump. Check to see if you have fuel pressue and also check the fuel relay. Why trade the truck in, it is cheaper to fix it than car payments. I never never buy a new vehicle, you are just throwing money away with the way it loses value the minute you drive it off the lot.

3afan
06-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I like all my Ford trucks --- no problems at all ....

Daddy D 11
06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I like all my Ford trucks --- no problems at all ....

same:cool:

3ABirdMan
06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Me 3 with my Ford (4th one)....

I work with a guy who just traded off a GMC. His year model, which I can't verify at the moment, was notorious for lots of "little" problems that added up to be very costly, as it was always in the shop.

I'll check on it and reply back later, but I'm thinking it may have been a '93 ...............

All out CAT
06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
Ok well I've had my 2003 gmc sierra for about 11 months now and I'm already having issues. It only has 39,000 miles on it, so its not the miles issue. My fuel line recently messed up and had to get that replaced, now tonight my truck did not want to start, the battery wasn't the problem... I'm not a truck guy so I have no idea what it is this time...

Question is Should it be time to trade it in? or just weird how these to events happened within 1 1/2 months...

Trade it in on a VW Jetta. You'll be happier and wealthier. Put the manhood aside until the gas crisis settles. It won't get better, but will settle. Then trade it in on a truck. Would be the wisest thing you've ever done.

3afan
06-02-2008, 09:34 AM
i've been driving my '96 Ranger to/from work (44 miles round trip), the F-150 been going to school & back (3 mile round trip)

waterboy
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i've been driving my '96 Ranger to/from work (44 miles round trip), the F-150 been going to school & back (3 mile round trip)
I've been driving my '96 Ranger back and forth to work (60 miles round trip) for years. It now has about 139,000 miles on it. I've never had any real trouble with it. I just replaced the front brake pads at about 125,000 miles, and the alternator at about 119,000 miles, and that's it. Probably the only reason the alternator went out was because of the draw from the killer stereo in it. I keep good tires on it and change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. It doesn't use any oil, and I'd trust it to go anywhere. Very good little truck!:D

big daddy russ
06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by All out CAT
Trade it in on a VW Jetta. You'll be happier and wealthier. Put the manhood aside until the gas crisis settles. It won't get better, but will settle. Then trade it in on a truck. Would be the wisest thing you've ever done.
I don't know if I'd go for a Jetta. My best friend drives one and they're notorious for having knick-knack problems. They're extremely comfortable, though, ride great, are fun to drive, and get a legit 31 mpg in the city... and the reason I know is because I drove it for a few weeks last summer. Nothing I've ever driven gets close to that. Our Focus gets about 27 and another buddy's old Civic got about 29. BUT, the cost of ownership on a Jetta is very high.

If you're going to trade it in, think about a Corolla or Camry... or better yet, don't worry about trading it in.

1. You're going to college so you won't be putting a lot of miles on it.

2. You'll fall in love with your truck all over again when you're forced to move once a year.

3. Nobody would give you what it's really worth now anyways. My neighbor just sold her Xterra outright and was gypped. Was an '04 with 84k in immaculate condition. When they went to the Honda dealership, the salesman told them straight out, "If it doesn't get over 20mpg, there's not a whole lot I can do for you." Instead of trading it in for $4k, they sold it for $5k. A few months back, it was worth twice that.

GM's are notorious for their fuel pumps and starters, so check into those, but I doubt you got a lemon. It may turn out to be a simple fix that you never have to worry about again.

I also drive an '03 Sierra and I've had great luck with my truck, but there is one recall that I didn't get to in time-- my speedometer broke. It would've been $500 to get it fixed from the dealership. Instead, I spent $200 on a GPS that has the speed in the bottom left corner.

As long as you take care of that recall before 70k miles, you should be good. Good luck.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x233/gary_randall/MVC-008F.jpg

I get a 21 mpg average out of this beast.

themsu97
06-02-2008, 12:03 PM
just bought a crew cab F 150.... on Saturday... Forest Green... Bulldog colors... sorry LHPM...:p

will have the DVD player put in at some point this week...

I was not happy with the Chevy I had a few years back

sinfan75
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Question is Should it be time to trade it in? or just weird how these to events happened within 1 1/2 months... could be your injectors, fuel pump or a bad sensor. be willing to bet it's a sensor.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
It's either that or he doesn't have any gas in it. :)

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Well the good news is the fact that it wont start narrows it down, the bad news is it can still be several things. Is it firing? What sounds does it make? Does the engine turn over fine or is it rough? Does it try to start, then die?

Fal44
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Me and the pops took it in today... and well he had the: battery, fan belt, and alternator replaced...