PDA

View Full Version : What should the Mavs do in the offseason?

big daddy russ
06-01-2008, 12:24 AM
What should Cuban do with his team this summer? They're $50 million over the salary cap with a massive luxury tax staring them in the eyes and too many free agents to list. OK, I guess I can list them.

Malik Allen
Devean George
Juwan Howard
Eddie Jones
Tyronn Lue
Jamaal Magloire
Antoine Wright

They still have the $5 million mid-level exception to pay a free agent or three, but are rediculously strapped financially. Their four highest-paid players (Jason Kidd- $19.7m, Dirk Nowitzki- $16.4m, Eric Dampier- $10.6m, and Josh Howard- $9.5m) combine for more outgoing money than than the current salary cap allows for and the only relief in sight (though it's a big one) is that Kidd's contract expires next summer. Eric Dampier, on the other hand, is on through 2011.

Emerson1
06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Trade Josh Howard

big daddy russ
06-01-2008, 12:59 AM
This is the one Texas team that I'd try to blow up. I'd throw some bait out and see if Miami or Chicago would be willing to trade one of the top two picks for Dirk and Dampier (cap relief). I'm a huge Michael Beasley fan, so I'd do everything in my power to bring him in. I doubt either CHI or MIA would be willing to give up a player in return when they're taking on a bad contract and giving up a huge prospect, but I feel that both Miami and Chicago are one real player away from being a title contender... and a big man would fill holes on both teams. Heck, I think both those guys would start for those two teams.

I'd say try to keep Juwan Howard. He's a great professional, tremendous hustle player, great rebounder, and a great mentor for young players. Former Lakers Devean George, Eddie Jones, and Tyronn Lue can go, but I'd keep Jamaal Magloire. He's only 30 and gives Carlisle some size, defense, and rebounding down low.

I'd also see about moving Jason Terry's contract and getting some size at the wing in return. It's too bad Isaiah was finally fired as the Knicks' decision-maker. He loves overpriced, undersized scoring guards. But seriously, they may be able to trade Terry for a guy like Mike Miller. He doesn't play as close to the rim as Terry does, but can create shots with his length and gives the Mavs a little size on the outside, something they've lacked for years. To make up for the loss of Terry's aggressiveness, they could make a run at an athletic scoring guard on the cheap... someone like Jannero Pargo or (and I've always loved this guy) Fred Jones. Jones could be had dirt cheap, plays above the rim, and saved Indiana's season a few years back when he started at the two.

Highschoolfan78
06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Relocate the franchise to Pittsburg:inlove:

Phil C
06-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Firing Avery was not the solution. They were basically one good player from being a real contender because I think Kidd and the rest will work good this year after getting used to each other.

Emerson1
06-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Firing Avery was not the solution. They were basically one good player from being a real contender because I think Kidd and the rest will work good this year after getting used to each other.
It was part of the solution. When none of your players like the coach, that isn't going to equal success. There is a reason no one wants him as their HC

coach
06-01-2008, 11:18 AM
trade josh howard for anybody and trade kidd and another player for A.I

Emerson1
06-01-2008, 12:37 PM
If we are going to make a blockbuster trade with Denver, you get Anthony

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If we are going to make a blockbuster trade with Denver, you get Anthony

How about Detroit? Work a deal for Billups with the catch being you
have to take Rasheed Wallace too.

Maroon87
06-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
How about Detroit? Work a deal for Billups with the catch being you
have to take Rasheed Wallace too.

And possibly bring in players who revolted on Carlisle once already? Seems kinda risky...:thinking:

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
And possibly bring in players who revolted on Carlisle once already? Seems kinda risky...:thinking:

To be honest I think Ben Wallace led that charge. They just
kept it in the locker room. In Chicago he had a run in with the
coach because he couldn't wear his headband.Now he's in
Cleveland.:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
1. Trade Josh Howard...I've heard some higher-ups say that Miami likes him a lot and would trade Shawn Marion straight up...you do that deal in a second.

2. Sign DeSegana Diop with part of your mid-level exception. He was a very good quality bench player with the Mavs, and they could really use him again.

3. Pray that Kobe opts out after '09, and sign him with the space that opens from Kidd's contract.

Emerson1
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
1. Trade Josh Howard...I've heard some higher-ups say that Miami likes him a lot and would trade Shawn Marion straight up...you do that deal in a second.

2. Sign DeSegana Diop with part of your mid-level exception. He was a very good quality bench player with the Mavs, and they could really use him again.

3. Pray that Kobe opts out after '09, and sign him with the space that opens from Kidd's contract.
1. Dallas would have to send Stackhouse and Eddie Jones/sign and trade with another player to make the money work.

2. I would do that, he isn't worth the entire thing though.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Nothing. Kidd was the answer. I remember some people saying that.

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Nothing. Kidd was the answer. I remember some people saying that.

Oh they needed a PG/leader and that's what they thought they
got. Kidd just wasn't up for the task.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Oh they needed a PG/leader and that's what they thought they
got. Kidd just wasn't up for the task.

Several people told me I was crazy because I didnt think he would have an immediate impact and would end up costing more than he is worth. Hmm. :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Several people told me I was crazy because I didnt think he would have an immediate impact and would end up costing more than he is worth. Hmm. :thinking:

Honestly, does anyone really think it was Kidd's fault?

When the Coach will not trust the veteran PG then Kidd cannot help the team, I think honestly we found out Avery was the core problem

Also the whole trade Josh Howard..I would wait, lets see if Carlise can forge a relationship with him before we trade him for pennies on the dollar

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Honestly, does anyone really think it was Kidd's fault?

When the Coach will not trust the veteran PG then Kidd cannot help the team, I think honestly we found out Avery was the core problem

Also the whole trade Josh Howard..I would wait, lets see if Carlise can forge a relationship with him before we trade him for pennies on the dollar

Of course not. Blame the coach.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I know these are all opinions, but I think Kidd was more a part of the problem than the solution.

The Mavs would have been better off exploring other options. Kidd will end up being a waste of money and draft picks.

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Of course not. Blame the coach.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I know these are all opinions, but I think Kidd was more a part of the problem than the solution.

The Mavs would have been better off exploring other options. Kidd will end up being a waste of money and draft picks.

It is easy to blame the coach, look at the two years before Kidd..Avery would not/Could not make the moves when he had the superior team, did anyone actually think when he had the less superior team he would all of a sudden become a coaching genuis?

And I am not saying Kidd was the right choice,I am saying because of Avery we do not know what kind of a move it was. We will know more this year IMO

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
It is easy to blame the coach, look at the two years before Kidd..Avery would not/Could not make the moves when he had the superior team, did anyone actually think when he had the less superior team he would all of a sudden become a coaching genuis?

And I am not saying Kidd was the right choice,I am saying because of Avery we do not know what kind of a move it was. We will know more this year IMO

Noted. Still disagree, but you are right. After next year it will be another reason for poor shooting and ball play though. He is getting old and is past his prime.

eppy 12
06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Relocate the franchise to Pittsburg:inlove: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/lafmonkey.gif

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Noted. Still disagree, but you are right. After next year it will be another reason for poor shooting and ball play though. He is getting old and is past his prime.

So you think if Dallas keeps Harris they would have beat NO?

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
So you think if Dallas keeps Harris they would have beat NO?

No. But they would have more talent in different areas, more cap money, and draft picks.

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
No. But they would have more talent in different areas, more cap money, and draft picks.

money, possibly..draft picks yes..talent in different areas, no..basically it was Kidd for HArris..yes I know Diop was in trade but IMO people have VASTLY overrated Diop, he is a role player, nothing more

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 02:54 PM
money, possibly..draft picks yes..talent in different areas, no..basically it was Kidd for HArris..yes I know Diop was in trade but IMO people have VASTLY overrated Diop, he is a role player, nothing more

I firmly believe trading away Harris, Diop, trade picks, and cash was a mistake. 5-6 years ago it would have been a great move, but not now. I just dont think he is the answer and I dont think he is going to be.

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I firmly believe trading away Harris, Diop, trade picks, and cash was a mistake. 5-6 years ago it would have been a great move, but not now. I just dont think he is the answer and I dont think he is going to be.

I dont disagree, just saying we truly do not know...I do know with Harris at PG that was not the answer either, but like you said the difference in draft picks will be the difference IF Kidd does not make them better in the upcoming year

Honestly...I hink Cuban knew this season might go this way no matter what and he would have to fire Avery so he got Kidd more for next year than this past season

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I dont disagree, just saying we truly do not know...I do know with Harris at PG that was not the answer either, but like you said the difference in draft picks will be the difference IF Kidd does not make them better in the upcoming year

Honestly...I hink Cuban knew this season might go this way no matter what and he would have to fire Avery so he got Kidd more for next year than this past season

Perhaps, but I was also told (on this board) that Kidd would have an immediate impact and was the answer the Mavs needed.

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Perhaps, but I was also told (on this board) that Kidd would have an immediate impact and was the answer the Mavs needed.

again if Avery truly would have let him I do think Kidd could have had a bigger impact, but again Avery did nothing to fit the team to Kidd's strength, he was still basically forcing the offense into an iso game which has no benefit to Kidd's strength

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
again if Avery truly would have let him I do think Kidd could have had a bigger impact, but again Avery did nothing to fit the team to Kidd's strength, he was still basically forcing the offense into an iso game which has no benefit to Kidd's strength

Fair enough. I guess I just simply disagree. We will see next year I suppose.

Txbroadcaster
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Fair enough. I guess I just simply disagree. We will see next year I suppose.

I guess I am confused at what you disagree about?

think of it this way..If a team traded right now for Tom Brady to run their offense, then once there they had him do nothing but hand-off 70 times a game....do you blame Tom or do you blame the coaches for not putting him in a position of strength

That is what Avery did...When he did let Kidd run the offense and be more of a fast break team, the Mavs played well, just look at the game Dallas won in Dallas agianst NO...but to many times he had Kidd dribble down the court pass to Dirk or Howard and then go sit on the weak side and watch

Emerson1
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Avery had to big of an ego to let Kidd run the offense. He is the only coach in the league that you saw up off the bench every single play yelling at the PG.

If you actually watched more than 6 games, you would know that.

rockdale80
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Avery had to big of an ego to let Kidd run the offense. He is the only coach in the league that you saw up off the bench every single play yelling at the PG.

If you actually watched more than 6 games, you would know that.

Well then next year we will see. Maybe I eat some crow, maybe not, but I saw other weaknesses that should have been addressed before going after a 34 year old PG that at one time could play some pretty good ball. I think what they traded away for him was not worth what they got in return. I am not sure how many other ways there are to put it.