PDA

View Full Version : What do the Rockets need to do in the offseason?

big daddy russ
06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
What would you do if you were GM Daryl Morey? Houston's currently $11.2 million over with Loren Woods, Dikembe Mutombo, Carl Landry, and Steve Novak headed to free agency. They'll have the $5 million (or so) mid-level exception to throw at a free agent along with the 25th pick in a very deep draft.

Who should they keep? Who should they go after? Who should they trade?

Highschoolfan78
06-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Keep Landry and Mutombo. Mutombo has still proven to be a solid relief player for a healing Yao Ming. I'd keep Landry around and maybe use him as trade bait. He seems like a solid player.

Necks_Fan
06-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Get Healthy, Re-sign Landry, Draft another 3-4 type player.

maestro
06-01-2008, 08:00 AM
they seem to fall into a trap of drafting 6 foot guards...

i like brooks and head isn't terrible....but they cannot guard anyone.

most teams in the western conference have taller guards....which brings about bad matchups.

get taller in the back court.

Phil C
06-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Do what it takes to have all their players healthy in the playoffs next year.

Bull's-eye
06-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Stay healthy and find a number 3 scorer. It could be a back-up for T-Mac or Battier, but someone who can fill the basket. I would like to see an athletic 4 or 5, who can guard a Boozer or Stoudemire. Still searching for PG help, but that may be solved by Brooks or a healthy Francis. Luther Head has had 2 terrible playoffs, so it may be time to trade him.

Necks_Fan
06-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Stay healthy and find a number 3 scorer. It could be a back-up for T-Mac or Battier, but someone who can fill the basket. I would like to see an athletic 4 or 5, who can guard a Boozer or Stoudemire. Still searching for PG help, but that may be solved by Brooks or a healthy Francis. Luther Head has had 2 terrible playoffs, so it may be time to trade him. I agree, with need a more athletic post with some height to guard the likes of Chris Bosh, Stoudamire, etc.

I like the way Rafer plays, and when Francis comes back, I dont think there will be playing time for another G. Whatever you do, re-sign Landry.

Bull's-eye
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
IMO, the Rockets miss more wide open shots than any team in the league. I would like to see a pure shooter that can consistantly hit the open shot. Most teams rotate their defense to primarily stop Yao & T-Mac, thus leaving an open man. When Alston, Jackson or Head were hitting their shots, the Rockets became very dangerous. The problem is Head & Jackson were very inconsistant and both players disappeared during the playoffs. Alston had his best season, but his past track record suggests he's not a pure shooter. Novack is a great shooter, but lacks the quickness to get his shot off. I would love a Mike Miller, Peja Stojakovic, Kyle Korver, Richard Hamilton or a Vujaic.

Necks_Fan
06-01-2008, 11:26 AM
IMO, the Rockets miss more wide open shots than any team in the league. I would like to see a pure shooter that can consistantly hit the open shot. Most teams rotate their defense to primarily stop Yao & T-Mac, thus leaving an open man. When Alston, Jackson or Head were hitting their shots, the Rockets became very dangerous. The problem is Head & Jackson were very inconsistant and both players disappeared during the playoffs. Alston had his best season, but his past track record suggests he's not a pure shooter. Novack is a great shooter, but lacks the quickness to get his shot off. I would love a Mike Miller, Peja Stojakovic, Kyle Korver, Richard Hamilton or a Vujaic. I like the Mike Miller suggestion. The only thing is, you would have to move him or T-Mac to the 3 spot to get legit playing time with Alsot/Francis/Head?Brooks as well. Then where does Battier go? HE has been our most consistent shooter.

Battier doesn't play the 4, and even if he did, then where does Scola/Landry go?

The Rockets have too many players. They need to package Head or Brooks with someone else to lose a guard and to pick up a legit big guard or athletic post in return. They have too many good players for too little playing time.

Yao
Landry/Scola
Battier
McGrady/Francis
Alston/Head/Brooks

McGrady can play the 3 when Battier comes out and sometimes Battier will play the 4.

Get rid of one of those PG and bring and maybe Scola for a more athletic 6'10''+ kind of guy?

Necks_Fan
06-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Maybe they will get rid of Steve Fracis. He's not a dominant scorer and not exactly keen defensively. Maybe/ Head For a big Guard? Who knows.

That's 2 things I think they need. A big Shooting guard. An athletic post.

Get those and you will be A-okay.

Bull's-eye
06-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I like the Mike Miller suggestion. The only thing is, you would have to move him or T-Mac to the 3 spot to get legit playing time with Alsot/Francis/Head?Brooks as well. Then where does Battier go? HE has been our most consistent shooter.

Battier doesn't play the 4, and even if he did, then where does Scola/Landry go?

McGrady can play the 3 when Battier comes out and sometimes Battier will play the 4.

Get rid of one of those PG and bring and maybe Scola for a more athletic 6'10''+ kind of guy?

The Rockets have one of the best starting 5 players in the NBA according to the plus/minus stats. I believe they were #1 in the 2006-07 season and that was when they started Chuck Hayes. They need a scorer that can come off the bench and provide some consistant offense, especially when Yao or T-Mac is on the bench. Battier is our most consistant shooter, but doesn't really looks for his shot or has the ability to create his shot. Miller is 6'8" swing type player that can play the 2 or 3. He could be a sub for T-Mac or easily play together with him. IMO, T-Mac was forced to play too many minutes and he became a non-factor in the 4th qtr of the playoffs. We also need someone that could spell Battier at the 3, so I think this would be a good fit for the Rockets. I definately want them to keep Scola and Landry. Scola is a hustle/energy type player that every team would like to have and doesn't mind doing the dirty work. Landry was slowed by a bad knee, but he looks to have a great upside. I wish he was about 3 inches taller and we would have our 6'10" athletic player.

Necks_Fan
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
The Rockets have one of the best starting 5 players in the NBA according to the plus/minus stats. I believe they were #1 in the 2006-07 season and that was when they started Chuck Hayes. They need a scorer that can come off the bench and provide some consistant offense, especially when Yao or T-Mac is on the bench. Battier is our most consistant shooter, but doesn't really looks for his shot or has the ability to create his shot. Miller is 6'8" swing type player that can play the 2 or 3. He could be a sub for T-Mac or easily play together with him. IMO, T-Mac was forced to play too many minutes and he became a non-factor in the 4th qtr of the playoffs. We also need someone that could spell Battier at the 3, so I think this would be a good fit for the Rockets. I definately want them to keep Scola and Landry. Scola is a hustle/energy type player that every team would like to have and doesn't mind doing the dirty work. Landry was slowed by a bad knee, but he looks to have a great upside. I wish he was about 3 inches taller and we would have our 6'10" athletic player. But what will it take to get a player like Miller?

I'm gueesing a first round and a guard?

Who knows?

Emerson1
06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I agree, with need a more athletic post with some height to guard the likes of Chris Bosh, Stoudamire, etc.

No, you don't mold your roster to guard Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudamire.

Maroon87
06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that they're never gonna get anywhere significant with McGrady?

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Am I the only one who thinks that they're never gonna get anywhere significant with McGrady?

No. See Orlando Magic franchise.

Necks_Fan
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that they're never gonna get anywhere significant with McGrady? I think they could. As much as people like to blame him, he has been really good for Houston. It's a wonder they did as good as they did this year.

jlg043
06-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Nope, I was thinking the same thing. He isnt a guy you can rely when the game is on the line... He is a good player but he aint clutch... Keep Landry, Scola, and even Novak... Id say trade McGrady and get someone who is going to win playoff games

Necks_Fan
06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
Nope, I was thinking the same thing. He isnt a guy you can rely when the game is on the line... He is a good player but he aint clutch... Keep Landry, Scola, and even Novak... Id say trade McGrady and get someone who is going to win playoff games Did you watch any Rockets games?

Keep NOVAK but not McGrady? Are you insane?

Novak will be a spot up shooter off the bench AT THE ABSOLUTE BEST in his career.

McGrady won MULTIPLE games for Houston in the 4th qt.

eppy 12
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
bring back sam cassell:clap:

big daddy russ
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
Nope, I was thinking the same thing. He isnt a guy you can rely when the game is on the line... He is a good player but he aint clutch... Keep Landry, Scola, and even Novak... Id say trade McGrady and get someone who is going to win playoff games
McGrady isn't clutch??? As a Spurs fan, I know better.

JasperDog94
06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
McGrady isn't clutch??? As a Spurs fan, I know better. Not when he's the only scoring option for 3 quarters. He can't carry a team by himself and still have anything left in the 4th quarter.

big daddy russ
06-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Click here. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfurCV1FDpM)

JasperDog94
06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Click here. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfurCV1FDpM) Yeah. I remember that. That said McGrady can't carry a team all game long at this point in his career. He's still really, really good, but he can't be the go-to guy all game long.