PDA

View Full Version : What do the Spurs need to do in the offseason?

big daddy russ
06-01-2008, 12:02 AM
What do they need? They're currently $11 million over the cap, but several players come off the books this offseason. They have the $5 million mid-level exception to throw at a free agent or two, but highly-touted 2007 first-round pick Tiago Splitter turned down the Spurs' offer to come to the States and signed a two-year deal with his current Euroleague team, Tau Ceramica.

Free Agents/2007-08 Salary:

Kurt Thomas $8,091,187
Robert Horry $3,630,000
Fabricio Oberto $3,600,000
Michael Finley $3,103,000
Vassilis Spanoulis $1,944,000
Damon Stoudamire $609,795
Darius Washington $128,148

Who should they keep, if anyone? Remember, that if they're over the cap and offer a contract to a current player, they'll have to pony up 120% of his previous year's salary.

Highschoolfan78
06-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Keep Finley or Horry(one or the other) and maybe Oberto. it's time to let go of the rest.

Old Tiger
06-01-2008, 03:22 AM
get younger on the bench

Necks_Fan
06-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Trade Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, And Manu Ginobili, Then they need to build around Damon Stoudamire.

maestro
06-01-2008, 08:02 AM
need better matchups vs kobie and paul...

those guards got points whenever they needed them.

the offense just seemed to be off.....

Phil C
06-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I know Horry and Thomas have been a big help to them but it is time to get some younger players. They should trade Horry and this year's No. 1 pick to Cleveland for Lebron James. This would give them some younth and be a big help to Cleveland on outside shooting. Then trade Thomas and a No. 1 pick to New Orleans for Chris Paul. This would be a big help to NO for a good shooter and help the Spurs. Then trade Washington to Phoenix for a No. 2 choice this year for Shaq. It would help Phoenix make another push with Nash and enable Shaq to perhaps finish his career in his home town.

Win win situations for all.

Gobbler Fan
06-01-2008, 08:40 AM
:smoker: :fnypost:

GreenGobbla
06-01-2008, 03:00 PM
lebron is going to brooklyn in 2010. not the spurs.

Emerson1
06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I know Horry and Thomas have been a big help to them but it is time to get some younger players. They should trade Horry and this year's No. 1 pick to Cleveland for Lebron James. This would give them some younth and be a big help to Cleveland on outside shooting. Then trade Thomas and a No. 1 pick to New Orleans for Chris Paul. This would be a big help to NO for a good shooter and help the Spurs. Then trade Washington to Phoenix for a No. 2 choice this year for Shaq. It would help Phoenix make another push with Nash and enable Shaq to perhaps finish his career in his home town.

Yes, I bet those teams are just waiting for the chance to trade Lebron for Old Man Horry for the 28th pick in the draft

K-MAC Chuck
06-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Wow...
what color is the sky in your world?? :eek:

just kidding...(kinda)

big daddy russ
06-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd love to keep Kurt Thomas, but not at $8m-$9m per year. Because of money issues, I'd say let him go along with Horry, then re-sign Oberto on the cheap. Though Oberto doesn't bring much on the defensive end, he's a great passer out of the low post and is a great deal at $4m.

One of our biggest problems this postseason was our inability to get points in the paint. Ginobili was hobbled and Parker just wasn't playing that well, so I'd like to see us pick up a wing or PG who attacks the rim. Michael Finley of ten years ago would be great, but we'll more than likely be forced to pick up someone else. At PG, we also need a better option off the bench than Jacque Vaughn and Damon Stoudemire. Stoudemire was an All-Star-caliber player 5-10 years ago because of his explosiveness and ability to create his own shot, but age has taken all that away from him. It's pretty bad when Vaughn is starting ahead of you.

What we do with FA's Michael Finley and Brent Barry will have to wait until later, because I'd like to see us bring in some younger players. At this point in their careers, I like Barry more because Finley's game relied on athleticism much more than Brent's, and Brent can still be a huge part of our offense even though his feet are failing him. Only problem is that he's roughly twice the price of Finley.

In free agency, I love G/F JR Smith, but doubt he'll be leaving Denver with the money we're paying. Ricky Davis, Trevor Ariza, Kelenna Azubuike, Michael Pietrus, Jannero Pargo, Fred Jones (though he may be broken due to too much time spent as a Knick), Carlos Delfino, and Ben Gordon (a huuuuuuuge longshot). I think Davis and Pietrus may be the only two in this group that actually play a little defense (and I mean little), but Parker usually sticks to their worst offensive player and Ginobili's defense is typically limited to taking charges, so it won't be much of a downgrade there.

Because we'll probably be forced to release Kurt Thomas, we'll also need some depth down low. Paul Millsap can rebound and defend and will be a free agent and Joey Dorsey will probably still be on the board when our draft pick comes up.

I'd love to see us draft either Dorsey, Ty Lawson, or Mario Chalmers (backup PG). I like all three and they all provide us with youth, depth, and the ability to contribute immediately.

One last thing I'd like to see would be us making a push for Corey Brewer from the T-Wolves sometime in the next two years. I know we brought in Ime Udoka to be Bruce Bowen's eventual replacement, but I think Brewer has more upside on both the offensive and defensive ends. He's not getting consistent minutes in Minny and would almost definitely enjoy a change of scenery.

Maroon87
06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
They need to do what they did back in 01 or 02...beat the bushes for some young guys that fit in with their philosophy and drop them in around the big 3. As much as I like Horry, Finley, and Barry, it's time to let them go and get some fresher legs in there.

Ginobili was absolutely shredded by playoff time. Interestingly enough, this is the first year that I can remember that he didn't miss a bunch of games in the regular season and it showed in the playoffs. He was just beat up and never had that "signature" performance where he would just take over a game in the second half.

I trust that Pop and RC Buford will make the right decisions, and they're gonna be fiscally responsible while doing it.

Phil C
06-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I would hate to let Oberto and Stoudamire go but they should trade them to Denver for Carmelo. This would help Denver in that they would have 2 good players for one and Duncan could provide the leadership that Carmelo needs. It would be great for both teams.

The Spurs would then have Manu, Parker, Duncan, Shaq, Lebron, Carmelo and Paul and make a push for 2009. This is important because I look for the Lakers to get Durant in a trade this summer for some ridiculous deal that the NBA seems to get done behind the scenes that favors the Lakers.

Sweetwater Red
06-02-2008, 02:04 PM

The Spurs would then have Manu, Parker, Duncan, Shaq, Lebron, Carmelo and Paul and make a push for 2009.

And a be over the salary cap by about 2 billion dollars.:thinking: :D

Necks_Fan
06-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
And a be over the salary cap by about 2 billion dollars.:thinking: :D What salary cap?:D