PDA

View Full Version : Coach out of job days after state

Wildcat81
12-18-2003, 04:44 PM
The Beaumont Enterprise home : news : sports news : local sports

Coach out of job days after state

The Associated Press 12/18/2003

SAN AUGUSTINE - Just three days after leading the San Augustine Wolves to their first state championship, Lynn Graves was out of a job as the school's head football coach.

San Augustine school trustees voted 5-2 Tuesday not to bring Graves back as athletic director and head football coach. The school board didn't give a reason for the action.

"It's a hell of a way to go, being Christmas and unemployed," Graves said in Wednesday's edition of the Daily Sentinel in Nacogdoches.

Graves was considered a "contract employee" with San Augustine ISD under an agreement with the retire/rehire plan. He had retired last year.

"My understanding of his proposal last year was that he wanted to retire, work one year, hopefully have a good season and be finished," said board member Kathie Haley, who voted for the motion not to renew.

Graves said he never said this would be his last season.

The board's decision comes after the San Augustine Wolves won the school's first state championship with a 28-7 victory over Jim Ned in Class 2A, Division I. The team finished the season 12-3. It was Graves' fifth playoff season.

Graves said the school board's action "came out of the blue."

During Tuesday's board meeting, Graves was presented a plaque from the school board honoring the team's season.

After discussing Graves' employment status in executive session, board members voted in open session not to renew his contract for another season.

Before coaching in San Augustine, Graves was head football coach at Stephen F. Austin University, where he went 15-20-2 in less than three seasons after serving as the team's defensive coordinator for several seasons.

In 1989, his first SFA team went 12-2-1 and played in the national championship game, losing to Georgia Southern.

Less than two years later, Graves was fired during a season in which the Lumberjacks went 2-8-1.

kaorder1999
12-18-2003, 05:00 PM
wow...interesting...

Jacket2000
12-18-2003, 05:15 PM
From what I hear, there were a few board members' kids on the team who didnt get to play much, and that apparently had ruffled a few feathers. That, and Coach Graves has a reputation for lacking a bit in the PR dept. Either way, I think SA screwed up and Im sure it'll show in the very near future.
J2K

Wildcat81
12-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks Jacket2000.I haven't heard any thing.

pirate4state
12-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Jacket2000:
From what I hear, there were a few board members' kids on the team who didnt get to play much, and that apparently had ruffled a few feathers. That, and Coach Graves has a reputation for lacking a bit in the PR dept. Either way, I think SA screwed up and Im sure it'll show in the very near future.
J2KAhhh, small town politics, don't you just love 'em?? :mad: :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
12-18-2003, 06:10 PM
I was thinking that there had to be more to the story than that... :mad: :mad: :mad:

lovedaddy06
12-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Maybe he will get hired in Giddings. Coach Fitzhenry had a fairly good season and probably will get hired somewhere else. Everyone knows that Giddings is rotating door for coaches. The way politics run in small towns...would this really suprise you? Just humor for thought. wink

Old Cardinal
12-18-2003, 09:13 PM
I talked to my brother-in-law that was on the staff at SFA back when Graves was there. He said was a quite guy that did not play the politics. I understand that San Augustine has a history of weird politics...It he wants a job I think he will secure a very good position somewhere.

punt
12-18-2003, 09:55 PM
I wonder why his contract was up this time of the year. I thought teachers contracts were renewed in March. Maybe the time has something to do with the retire/rehire deal. Strange way to handle things, or at least it seems that way with the info we know.

Wildcat81
12-19-2003, 06:40 AM
small town politics

Old No. 7
12-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Wildcat81:
small town politicsIsn't that the truth, and it sure ticks me off! :mad:

oak flat
12-19-2003, 11:02 AM
The word I've been hearing is that one of the other coaches in the district has been politicing very hard the last two years for this job. I heard he was backstabbing Graves every chance he got and was constantly on the phone with board members.... It sounds like that could be the case, b/c the board voted 5-2 not to renew him. They must already know who they want to give the job to..... Heck, if thats how they do business in S-A I wouldn't want the job...

Phil C
12-19-2003, 11:15 AM
YOU WIN - YOUR FIRED!

Sinton94
12-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Did they at least wish him Merry Christmas first? That's terrible timing and just plain sad! I gaurantee you some board members vote with their emotions when it comes to their kids not playing. That's not just small town politics either.

Reveille
12-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Folks, San Augustine just got the ten commandments last week. They are trying to figure out how to read them this week.

My father, who was born in San Augustine, had a saying; Drive fifty miles north (of Jasper) and go back a hundred years. If you have ever been to SA, you will know what he was talking about.

District303aPastPlayer
12-19-2003, 12:42 PM
that is just sad and very classless by the 5 board members, if what has been said is true.

Wildcat81
12-20-2003, 06:47 AM
Reveille:
Folks, San Augustine just got the ten commandments last week. They are trying to figure out how to read them this week.

My father, who was born in San Augustine, had a saying; Drive fifty miles north (of Jasper) and go back a hundred years. If you have ever been to SA, you will know what he was talking about.My mother -in-law was born there.we've there a few times ourselves.