PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Linebacker Forced To Quit

Old Tiger
05-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Linebacking corps rocked by Stephens’ departure
By Randy Riggs | Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 11:26 AM

The Aggies’ linebacking unit, not exactly overflowing with quantity to start with, has suffered another blow with redshirt freshman Derrick Stephens’ announcement that he is retiring from football because of repeated concussions.

Stephens, one of A&M’s top prospects a year ago, told the San Antonio Express-News that doctors told him he had to quit football because of four or five concussions he has suffered in recent years.

“It wasn’t by my choice,” Stephens told the paper. “It hurt my heart. That was my passion right there. To have somebody tell me that I can’t play anymore — shoot me dead.”

Stephens plans to remain at A&M on a medical scholarship.

Stephens’ departure merely compounds A&M’s issues at linebacker. Last season’s starters, Mark Dodge and Misi Tupe, completed their eligibility. Their backups, Matt Featherston and Anthony Lewis, played sparingly. New defensive coordinator Joe Kines will start either three or four linebackers in his 4-3 and 3-4 alignments, but who the others will be is anybody’s guess.

Sophomore-to-be Billy Chavis moved to tight end in the spring and coach Mike Sherman said he wants to keep him on offense. The Aggies signed three linebacking prospects in Sherman’s first recruiting class, but it’s doubtful any are ready to step right in.

So Stephens’ concussions, essentially, have created a big headache for the Aggies.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/aggies/index.html

Sad news for him :(

BreckTxLonghorn
05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Always hate to see someone leave the game due to injuries. However, at least he had the good sense to take the doctors' word and understand if he wanted to live a healthy life, he had to stop.

Football/Sports is only one phase of life, and even if its the highlight, you want to spend the rest your phases being able to remember it fondly, not toiling because of it.

Txbroadcaster
05-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Cmon Blue..dont play the stupid nickname game..Texas is UT A&M is Aggies

rockdale80
05-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I know someone that would play linebacker for the Ags. :)

LH Panther Mom
05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Cmon Blue..dont play the stupid nickname game..Texas is UT A&M is Aggies
If it continues, he will have contributed immensely to the end of UT/A&M posts, and probably other colleges as well.

Panther One
05-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If it continues, he will have contributed immensely to the end of UT/A&M posts, and probably other colleges as well.
May I suggest suspending individual users as the initial course of action before punishing everyone. Go Blue's use of "Aggy" doesn't bother me, and I really don't want to see an end to college sports discussion because of something so insignificant.

Emerson1
05-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
May I suggest suspending individual users as the initial course of action before punishing everyone. Go Blue's use of "Aggy" doesn't bother me, and I really don't want to see an end to college sports discussion because of something so insignificant.
How about just ban Go_Blue and g$$ from any college related thread.

They are the ones always causing the problems.

pirate4state
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
May I suggest suspending individual users as the initial course of action before punishing everyone. Go Blue's use of "Aggy" doesn't bother me, and I really don't want to see an end to college sports discussion because of something so insignificant. Trust me, it isn't just that one little "insignificant" thing that will cause us to ban college threads, but it doesn't help matters either!

Bull Butter
05-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Notice how this thread has turned from one of a football player who had a promising career and has been forced to shut it down into one of juvenile name calling.

Which is exactly the way Go Blue wanted it, else he wouldn't have used "Aggy" in his original post(which has now been edited)

Daddy D 11
05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Like Panther One said, its very insignificant. After all, isnt it the university mascot? What's there to get upset about?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
It's a shame to see Derrick go, he's a good guy and it's really unfortunate that it had to happen to him. It was really eating him up to have to do it but he made a decision to be able to live a good life without any handicaps, and I don't blame him. Some things are more important than playing a game at the end of the day.

STANG RED
05-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
It's a shame to see Derrick go, he's a good guy and it's really unfortunate that it had to happen to him. It was really eating him up to have to do it but he made a decision to be able to live a good life without any handicaps, and I don't blame him. Some things are more important than playing a game at the end of the day.

Arent you an LB Gary?

Sorry to hear about your teammate! But I'm sure he made the right decision.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Arent you an LB Gary?

Sorry to hear about your teammate! But I'm sure he made the right decision.

Sure am, and I was ahead of him on the depth chart too before he got hurt. Not sure at the moment if I will be playing LB next season or not, I may be on the other side of the ball; it all depends on what Coach Sherman wants.

Old Tiger
05-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Which is exactly the way Go Blue wanted it, else he wouldn't have used "Aggy" in his original post(which has now been edited) You all are so confused. I posted an article talking about this players injuries and I said it was sad news for him. You all take the word "Aggy" out of context and go on about it causing it to be a "heated" discussion.

bandera7
05-31-2008, 11:52 PM
give Go Blue a break...he could have been much more malicious had he wanted to. I cant believe I just said that though.

Old Tiger
05-31-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
give Go Blue a break...he could have been much more malicious had he wanted to. I cant believe I just said that though. what was I even malicious about to begin with?

bandera7
05-31-2008, 11:58 PM
your apparent making fun of A&M by spelling it Aggy was seen as mean spirited. I didnt see it but some people (not pointing to anybody in particular) were bothered apparently

rockdale80
06-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
your apparent making fun of A&M by spelling it Aggy was seen as mean spirited. I didnt see it but some people (not pointing to anybody in particular) were bothered apparently

I thought it was pretty lame as well.....:hand:

If something that insignificant hurts your tender little feelers, then you need to grow some thicker skin.

Phil C
06-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Come on! Lighten up people. Give each other the benefit of the doubt. I have been careless and once in my haste to point out something have written TU and even Ut. And I am a Texas fan!! :eek:

Back to the subject I am sorry that he had to give up playing football but it is wise to listen to the doctors and not take foolish chances. Unfortunately these things happen.