PDA

View Full Version : Breckenridge Coach Update

BreckTxLonghorn
05-30-2008, 11:30 AM
From the Abilene Reporter News:

If Breckenridge doesn't hurry up and hire a long-term football coach so it can get a stable system in place, it will be years before the Buckaroos get a whiff of postseason play again.

BHS graduate and former assistant coach Donny Funderburg was a top candidate for the head coaching position, and was recommended for the job by Superintendent Connie Martin and Athletic Director Robert O'Dell.

But at a school board meeting Tuesday, his possible hire was shot down by a 4-3 vote. Board president Bryan Woodward, Mike Herrington, Skip Griffith and Koby Killion voted against the hiring, while Todd Pennartz, Mark McCullough and Alissa Atkinson voted for the hiring. The board will reconvene Monday to consider another candidate.

The board members who voted against hiring Funderburg have not yet released a reason for going against the recommendations of the superintendent and athletic director. Martin declined to release a reason.

According to a source close to the team, Funderburg had a healthy amount of support in the community and there are more than a few Breckenridge fans who are angry over this.

I don't blame them.

A pair of head coaches in Stan Howard and Jeff Berry have already been shown the door over the past two years. If this sort of thing continues, it's going to destroy one of Texas' most storied programs.

Sometimes you can be too picky for your own good. And the last thing you want your program to become is unattractive in the eyes of quality coaches.

Settle on one man, settle on one system, and give that man enough time to build a foundation. Otherwise, BHS will be lucky if it can hire Larry, Moe and Curly to wear the headsets.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/may/28/another-bollinger-has-snyder-eyeing-state/

I totally agree with this. I'm sure there are a lot of good coaches, but Funderburg knows the town, is liked by the community, and has proven he can win at other schools (coached at Mart during the Quan days, state championship at Lake Travis).

I like how the schoolboard would give no reason. To me, if you can't give a reason publicly, it means you either have no reason, or you know its not a good one. Here's hoping they reconsider, or they have a HUGE ace up their sleeves. Upfortunately, I think it may be neither.

Johnny Utah
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Not good! I grew up down the road, and My alma mater is basically doing the same thing. Once a great basketball place(I know this a football deal) but it is WAY DOWN due to knuckleheads in certain positions. All I can say is wow. Plus, having the school board members names in the paper and who they voted for or against, WOW!! Town may stay split for a long time!!!

injuredinmelee
05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
lets all meet at Ken's Chicken to discuss the situation over the fried biscuits.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
lets all meet at Ken's Chicken to discuss the situation over the fried biscuits.

I told my girlfriend for 4 hours Saturday morning how we excited I was to be getting Ken's Southern Style fish and onion rings that day. Of course, they were closed ALL THREE DAYS for Memorial day.

However, if they're open, send me a doggie basket!

kaorder1999
05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
even if they voted him in 4-3, i would think that he wouldn't have accepted the job.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
even if they voted him in 4-3, i would think that he wouldn't have accepted the job.

Why would you think that? Curious...

Sweetwater Red
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

Have you NOT seen Breckenridge's new district? :rolleyes:

:devil::D :devil:

NastySlot
05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

can't speak for KA....but i wouldn't want to be in a place in which you don't have total support from the board.....those three against votes might be underminding your program and looking for a reason to get you out since you were never their guy.

nobogey72
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM
How is Donny Funderburg related to Mike Funderburg?

And, my 2nd question is does Donny have some baggage or something? I can't imagine under the circumstances that they wouldn't be doing back flips to get a hometown boy.:confused:

Sweetwater Red
05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
How is Donny Funderburg related to Mike Funderburg?

And, my 2nd question is does Donny have some baggage or something? I can't imagine under the circumstances that they wouldn't be doing back flips to get a hometown boy.:confused:

You mean this Mike Funderberg?

http://www.texnews.com/kickoff/1999/allhart3a.html

And dayum you're old if you remember this guy...:D

STANG RED
05-30-2008, 01:01 PM
They better wise up and quick. With that district, it isnt as if the job is the most attractive HC job in the state.
There must be some small town personal issues and/or politics in play here is all I can guess. I'm sure many of us can relate to that and have seen it all too often in our own small towns. And it always looks stupid looking from the outside in.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I believe STANG hit the magic word: 'politics' is what says it best. I agree there may be more than from what is seen from the outside looking in, but I just have a hard time seeing why. The only reason he left last time (my opinion) is b/c he wanted the job and didn't get it, and probably Berry brought in his own staff.

Like I said, I would really like to know the reasons. If they have them, great, please let the town know. But if its for something petty (wouldn't surprise me; don't know the whole board but it always seems to be pertinent in small towns), they need to get over themselves and do whats best for the program.

grahampaw
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I dont understand why the school board would vote down a hometown guy that the AD and supt. both would like to have? I see this as a bad situation for a new coach to be going into with all the bad factors going into it.Why not let Odell coach for a year and see if the job is more attractive to a qualified coach next year?

injuredinmelee
05-30-2008, 05:27 PM
they have
Bridgeport
Glen Rose
Hirschi
Vernon
Midland Christian
in preseason. When you factor in the district games they are in for a tough road. I would think they would be happy taking anyone willing.

GreenMonster
05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I always hate to see a school board anywhere go against the recommendations of the Principal and the Superintendent. As an elected body it is your job to support the decisions of the people that you put in place and pay to make the decisions. The board hires the Super, the Super hires the Admins, and the Admins hire the staff. That's the way the system is supposed to work. Anytime that the board starts getting involved instead of trusting the staff in place to make the decision it's a big red flashing sign to coaches and teachers that reads: "DANGER!! Power trip warning in effect." Now all the serious contenders will pull their name and Breck will be left with the bottom feeders and the guys so desperate to get their first head job they don't care where they go. Not a good situation for the students in Breck for the next few years.

westcoast54
05-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Have they even interviewed anyone else?

I don't agree with what the board did however, sometimes being a hometown boy is NOT a good thing. If they don't hurry up and hire someone the 08 season is going to be a total wash. School is already out and someone has to come in and get a program up and going. Going to be a long haul.

Centextrash
05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I know of one person who did not get an interview.

Heffelfinger
05-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Well....we're waiting.

VWG
05-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Bad situation with the school board not backing the Supt. & Principal.
Breckenridge, IMO, needs a guy that can go in and rebuild what has been torn down. Get the staff and students excited about Bucks athletics again, and I am not just talking about the football program.

grahampaw
05-31-2008, 11:53 AM
You have a team down on numbers,in the roughest district with a bunch of longterm coaches that have been preparing for the new season since last season was over,and the new coach will meet his players at two-a-days ? You better take a coach that has the support of the players and town because this is not a quick fix.Give a coach 3 years no matter what the record will be the next 2 years because its gonna be bad.When reallinment comes more than likely it will be a new 3a district or maybe even 2a,and the kids and coach will know each other and have a system in place.