View Full Version : Spelling Bee

eagles_victory
05-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Anyone watching? Every kid I have seen so far has missed their word

44INAROW
05-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Anyone watching? Every kid I have seen so far has missed their word

liitle girl from Cuero is there.. Madison Simpson...

can you watch via the internet or only on ESPN>?

EDIT - she got knocked out.. darn, those are hard words..

Cuero speller out of national competition

advertising
BY PAMELA BOND - Victoria Advocate
May 29, 2008 - 10:06 p.m.
Madison Simpson’s time at the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C., ended with a deciduous shrub. She was one letter off in spelling “osoberry.”

“I’m a little disappointed,” Madison said. “But I’m glad I got this far. I got to go to Washington and I’ll enjoy the rest of my time here.”

The 13-year-old seventh grader from Cuero advanced to nationals after winning the regional bee in Victoria on March 25. The national competition began Monday with a written test of 50 words and Madison correctly spelled eight of the 25 words that counted. The spellers did not know which words would be chosen.

In round two of the competition, each speller had the chance to spell one word on stage. That’s where she misspelled osoberry. She spelled it o-s-a-b-e-r-r-y.

A combination of that spelling and the written test determined who would move on to the quarterfinals. Ninety of the 288 contestants advanced.

“It felt pretty good,” Madison said. “You just have to focus on the words and not look at all the people.”

Madison and her family, parents Rosalie and John Simpson, and 11-year-old twin siblings Audrey and Adam, plan to watch the semifinal and final rounds today to cheer on the other spellers. They also plan to tour more of the museums and buildings in the capitol before flying home on Sunday.

“We’re kind of disappointed but also relieved it’s over,” Rosalie Simpson said. “She didn’t lose out on anything. We’re getting to see things we’ve always wanted to see here. And this was all new to us. Now we know how everything works.”

The experience has not discouraged Madison from trying again next year, which will be the last year she’s eligible to compete in the bees.

gobbler grad
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
their dropping one after another...:(

eagles_victory
05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
the Canadians were folding like lawn chairs

SWMustang
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

Madison and her family, parents Rosalie and John Simpson, and 11-year-old twin siblings Audrey and Adam, plan to watch the semifinal and final rounds today to cheer on the other spellers.

what could be more boring than watching a spelling bee in person when you don't have a dog in the fight?

Ranger Mom
05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
what could be more boring than watching a spelling bee in person when you don't have a dog in the fight?

LOL!! It seems like EV has always liked the spelling bee....if my memory serves me correctly!!

Buccaneer
05-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Who was the dude with the mustache?

44INAROW
05-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Did anyone see the newsclip tonight of the boy trying to spell a word and when he asked for a repeat pronounciation - he must have mis-heard the word and he said "numb nuts?" with a questioning-tone in his voice... after about 10 seconds he realized what he said and was trying not to laugh while he was concentrating on spelling the word correctly (he must have realized what the correct word was) The word was "numnah" (a type of sheepskin pad).anyway - the expression on his face was priceless. This boy was the eventual winner.

JasperDog94
05-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Did anyone see the newsclip tonight of the boy trying to spell a word and when he asked for a repeat pronounciation - he must have mis-heard the word and he said "numb nuts?" with a questioning-tone in his voice... after about 10 seconds he realized what he said and was trying not to laugh while he was concentrating on spelling the word correctly (he must have realized what the correct word was) The word was "numnah" (a type of sheepskin pad).anyway - the expression on his face was priceless. This boy was the eventual winner. I just saw the replay of that on Sportscenter.:D

gobbler grad
05-31-2008, 10:38 AM
that was hilarious...:clap: