PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Foul should have been called at end of Game 4

Maroon87
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
NEW YORK - The NBA acknowledged Wednesday that a foul should have been called on the final possession of Game 4 in the Western Conference finals, which would have given the San Antonio Spurs a chance to even the series.

Trailing 93-91 on Tuesday night, the Spurs inbounded the ball with 2.1 seconds left to Brent Barry, who was bumped by Los Angeles Lakers guard Derek Fisher on the floor. No foul was called, and Barry missed badly on a 3-pointer before time expired.

Spurs players and coach Gregg Popovich said a foul should not have been called, but the NBA disagreed with them after reviewing the play.

"With the benefit of instant replay, it appears a foul should have been called," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

Had that happened, Barry would have gone to the line for two free throws and a chance to tie the game. Instead, the defending champion Spurs trail the series 3-1 and face elimination Thursday in Los Angeles.

I kinda wish they'd kept this to themselves...not like it makes me feel any better about it. :confused:

waterboy
05-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm glad to see the players and Pop not make excuses. This game should never have gotten to the point where one call would have made a difference. On the other hand, I thought there probably could have been a foul called on the play. But it's over, and that's all that matters now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he outside the 3-point line when he was fouled? My memory fades........

Maroon87
05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I'm glad to see the players and Pop not make excuses. This game should never have gotten to the point where one call would have made a difference. On the other hand, I thought there probably could have been a foul called on the play. But it's over, and that's all that matters now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he outside the 3-point line when he was fouled? My memory fades........

Yes, but he wasn't in the act of shooting so he would've only received 2 foul shots.

Water under the bridge....:mad:

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Didn't Stern say earlier in the year that games should be called the same way late in the 4th the same as they would be in the 1st?

waterboy
05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Yes, but he wasn't in the act of shooting so he would've only received 2 foul shots.

Water under the bridge....:mad:
Oh, yeah. I remember now. Thanks.

You're right.......water under the bridge.:mad: :D

Phil C
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Oh, yeah. I remember now. Thanks.

You're right.......water under the bridge.:mad: :D

I agree but as PTI has said Joey Crawford should not officiate a Spurs game. Still on a two point play there is no guarantee that he would have made them both but on the other hand there is no guarantee that he would not have made one and missed the second one a a Spur grabbed it and threw it in for the win but he should have had that chance. There should have been an apology to the Spurs but apologies don't get you to the NBA finals.

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree but as PTI has said Joey Crawford should not officiate a Spurs game. Still on a two point play there is no guarantee that he would have made them both but on the other hand there is no guarantee that he would not have made one and missed the second one a a Spur grabbed it and threw it in for the win but he should have had that chance. There should have been an apology to the Spurs but apologies don't get you to the NBA finals. Phil there was an 83% chance of him making the free throws :D

Phil C
05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Phil there was an 83% chance of him making the free throws :D

I know you are righ Go. I would love for it to have gone into OT just to see what happened. To bad Crawford was there but the other officals were just as responsible.

GreenGobbla
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
it was a good non-call imo

Bull's-eye
05-29-2008, 12:56 PM
IMO, should of been a foul. The 3 officials just didn't want to decide the game by calling the foul, but they should realize they helped decide the game by not calling the foul. :confused:

Silverback 04
05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Funny how the Spurs didn't complain or make excuses, but as usual, Koby Bryant showed no class immediately after the game by stating that it absolutely was not a foul. Sort of like it wasn't a rape!

BILLYFRED0000
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Well I myself have lost a lot of interest in the NBA ever since it became a contact sport. It aint a foul until they take your head off or break your arm or something. BS.

piratebg
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I didn't question it until they kept showing the replay, over and over. The Spurs had numerous chances to take the lead and just could shoot for crap. The non call was a difference maker but I agree, they never should have been in that position.

jlg043
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont like the Spurs but the def have my respect now... None of them are making excuses and even said it shouldn't have been a foul... Im going for the Lakers this series but it almost makes me want to root for the spurs since they are showing so much class...

Maroon87
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
I dont like the Spurs but the def have my respect now... None of them are making excuses and even said it shouldn't have been a foul... Im going for the Lakers this series but it almost makes me want to root for the spurs since they are showing so much class...

This Spurs fan appreciates the sentiment. :)

Silverback 04
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Well I myself have lost a lot of interest in the NBA ever since it became a contact sport. It aint a foul until they take your head off or break your arm or something. BS.

Agreed, I used to live for basketball. Watched it and played it everyday. Now, I rarely tune in to the NBA unless the Texas teams are involved. Fouls, Flops, and crying. I can't stand it.

Something else that bothers me about the NBA is that superstars draw fouls if you get close to touching them, and the average Joe (Barry) can't get a call if his life depends on it.

Fabricio Oberto gets called for a foul just for checking into the damn game. I think he got called for a foul in game 2 just sittin' on the bench wearin' sweats. Craziest thing i ever saw.

Maroon87
05-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04

Fabricio Oberto gets called for a foul just for checking into the damn game. I think he got called for a foul in game 2 just sittin' on the bench wearin' sweats. Craziest thing i ever saw.

But was he laughing at Joey Crawford? ;)

Silverback 04
05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
But was he laughing at Joey Crawford? ;)

Yes, but just at his fat ass head. I'm sure it was nothing personal.