PDA

View Full Version : Student with highest grades won't be valedictorian, should she be?

kaorder1999
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Student with highest grades won't be valedictorian

09:31 AM CDT on Thursday, May 29, 2008

By JIM DOUGLAS / WFAA-TV

GRAPEVINE — Anjali Datta attacks the chess board the way she attacks schoolwork — with a vengeance.

The 16-year-old's grade point average appears to be the highest in the history of Grapevine schools, more than 100 years. But history will not record Anjali Datta as valedictorian of the Class of 2008.

"I've had to work really hard for this honor. It's taken a whole lot of effort," Anjeli said.

With that effort, she is graduating number one from Grapevine High after only three years. But district policy reserves the honor of valedictorian for four-year graduates, so another student will deliver the commencement address.

The district's unique solution was to create a whole new award category. "We wanted to honor her, so in order to do so we created the designation: Valedictorian — Three-year Graduate," said Grapevine-Colleyville ISD spokeswoman Megan Overman.

"This is very disappointing. I don't see why the school would do this to me," Anjali said.

Her father, Deepak Datta, feels the same way. "'Valedictorian — Three-Year' makes it sound like she's merely the best of a handful of early graduates," he said. "She's very competitive, wants to do well. She's a perfectionist."

"I felt I worked for it," Anjali said. "I am the highest-ranked grad. I deserved it."

At 14, she was national chess champ in her age group and 12th in the world. She's headed to the University of Texas to study bio-mechanical engineering — perhaps not as valedictorian, but who knows what bigger awards lie ahead?

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/wfaa/05-08/0529_anjali200.jpg

waterboy
05-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I can see the school's side of it, but I still think she should be valedictorian of THIS class. After all, she did have the highest GPA of her graduating class even if she did graduate early. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the valedictorian automatically get scholarships? If she didn't get the automatic scholarship, I feel she was robbed in more ways than one.

BwdLions
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
If the district policy is for four year graduates, then no she doesn't deserve it. If the district gives in, then why enforce any of the policies?

jason
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
here is a more detailed article - it explains the 4 year rule and the automatic scholarship

Grapevine student with top grades won't be valedictorian

07:06 AM CDT on Thursday, May 29, 2008

By LAURIE FOX / The Dallas Morning News
lfox@dallasnews.com

Grapevine High School senior Anjali Datta holds the highest grade-point average of the 471 students graduating from Grapevine High School this year.

In fact, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD officials believe her GPA of 5.898 may be the highest in the high school's history.

It's still not enough to make her the valedictorian, which brings a one-year college scholarship from the state.

Her closest competitor's GPA is 5.64. No one disputes that she's the top student in her class numerically. The problem rests with another number entirely.

Anjali rocketed through high school in only three years.

But a school district policy states: "The valedictorian shall be the eligible student with the highest weighted grade-point average for four years of high school."

The dispute over Anjali's status as valedictorian comes down to interpretation: Does four years mean calendar years of school attendance or does it mean completing the credits it takes most students four years to earn?

It depends on whom you ask.

The 16-year-old started taking high school classes in middle school and says her teachers encouraged her to graduate a year early because she had more than enough credits for graduation.

She said a counselor assured her that doing so wouldn't affect her valedictorian status because she earned her four years of high school credit in the district's schools. Officials had no comment about what a counselor may have said.

The policy was created to protect students from others who might transfer into the district close to graduation and usurp the class ranking of longtime students.

Though that's not the situation in this case, the district's attorneys interpreted the policy literally.

So at graduation ceremonies, 18-year-old Tyler Scott Franklin of Colleyville will be the Grapevine High School valedictorian.

Anjali will be "Valedictorian – Three-Year."

District officials said the title was created for this situation.

"We're doing what we can to extend an additional honor within accordance of school board policy," said Megan Overman, a district spokeswoman. "I'm not going to say that this has been an easy situation. This is something that is new for all of us. We've not faced this situation before."

Ms. Overman said the district researched the decision for months.

"There was a lot of thought involved in this. There is no perfect answer," she said.

Anjali says she and her parents are baffled.

"I have not heard of any educational institution penalizing a student for excellence – for completing a demanding set of classes 'too quickly,' " said her father, Deepak Datta. "Anjali's experience will surely send a strong negative signal to other talented students trying to excel.

"They will most certainly be discouraged from trying to do their best – instead will be more focused on gaming the system."

On Tuesday, Grapevine High School principal Jerry Hollingsworth notified the family via e-mail of the district's position that would arrive this week by certified letter.

"The determination of valedictory honor is one that rests squarely on Grapevine-Colleyville ISD board policy," Dr. Hollingsworth wrote. "In determining an appropriate interpretation of our policy, inquiries were made to both the school district's attorney as well as an attorney at the Texas Association of School Boards.

"Both were clear in their opinions that this honor should go to a student who has four school years in his or her high school career. We are compelled to adhere to school board policy," he wrote.

So, Tyler will receive the college scholarship.

His mother, Kathy, said her family didn't raise the issue with the school district. She said someone brought the district policy to her family's attention.

"We feel obviously that the other student deserves recognition as well," she said. "Considering all of the different factors, this was a good solution."

Anjali says she's struggling to understand the move because the Texas Education Agency doesn't even mention the word "valedictorian" when defining eligibility for the college scholarship.

The state provides Texas high schools with an "Honor Graduate Certificate." The certificate is to be presented to the "highest ranking graduate" in the senior class, according to Texas Education Code.

State officials say it is the local school district's responsibility to determine the highest ranking student, and the state has no authority to get involved. At graduation June 7, Anjali will be honored for her perfect ACT score. She will be acknowledged as an honor graduate and allowed to address her classmates.

But Anjali said it still doesn't feel quite right.

"This really diminishes the value of the valedictorian title," she said.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052908dnmetvaledictorian.3b254412.html)

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't see why she shouldn't be named valedictorian:thinking:

She has the highest GPA in Grapevine history and has done it in three rather than four years. Don't early Grads still get to walk with the graduating class?

kaorder1999
05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
look at it from the aspect of the guy named Valedictorian who went to the school all 4 years. Would hate to be in his shoes....

kaorder1999
05-29-2008, 10:14 AM

lfox@dallasnews.com

Grapevine High School senior Anjali Datta holds the highest grade-point average of the 471 students graduating from Grapevine High School this year.

In fact, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD officials believe her GPA of 5.898 may be the highest in the high school's history.

It's still not enough to make her the valedictorian, which brings a one-year college scholarship from the state.

Her closest competitor's GPA is 5.64. No one disputes that she's the top student in her class numerically. The problem rests with another number entirely.

Anjali rocketed through high school in only three years.

But a school district policy states: "The valedictorian shall be the eligible student with the highest weighted grade-point average for four years of high school."

The dispute over Anjali's status as valedictorian comes down to interpretation: Does four years mean calendar years of school attendance or does it mean completing the credits it takes most students four years to earn?

It depends on whom you ask.

The 16-year-old started taking high school classes in middle school and says her teachers encouraged her to graduate a year early because she had more than enough credits for graduation.

She said a counselor assured her that doing so wouldn't affect her valedictorian status because she earned her four years of high school credit in the district's schools. Officials had no comment about what a counselor may have said.

The policy was created to protect students from others who might transfer into the district close to graduation and usurp the class ranking of longtime students.

Though that's not the situation in this case, the district's attorneys interpreted the policy literally.

So at graduation ceremonies, 18-year-old Tyler Scott Franklin of Colleyville will be the Grapevine High School valedictorian.

Anjali will be "Valedictorian – Three-Year."

District officials said the title was created for this situation.

"We're doing what we can to extend an additional honor within accordance of school board policy," said Megan Overman, a district spokeswoman. "I'm not going to say that this has been an easy situation. This is something that is new for all of us. We've not faced this situation before."

Ms. Overman said the district researched the decision for months.

"There was a lot of thought involved in this. There is no perfect answer," she said.

Anjali says she and her parents are baffled.

"I have not heard of any educational institution penalizing a student for excellence – for completing a demanding set of classes 'too quickly,' " said her father, Deepak Datta. "Anjali's experience will surely send a strong negative signal to other talented students trying to excel.

"They will most certainly be discouraged from trying to do their best – instead will be more focused on gaming the system."

On Tuesday, Grapevine High School principal Jerry Hollingsworth notified the family via e-mail of the district's position that would arrive this week by certified letter.

"The determination of valedictory honor is one that rests squarely on Grapevine-Colleyville ISD board policy," Dr. Hollingsworth wrote. "In determining an appropriate interpretation of our policy, inquiries were made to both the school district's attorney as well as an attorney at the Texas Association of School Boards.

"Both were clear in their opinions that this honor should go to a student who has four school years in his or her high school career. We are compelled to adhere to school board policy," he wrote.

So, Tyler will receive the college scholarship.

His mother, Kathy, said her family didn't raise the issue with the school district. She said someone brought the district policy to her family's attention.

"We feel obviously that the other student deserves recognition as well," she said. "Considering all of the different factors, this was a good solution."

Anjali says she's struggling to understand the move because the Texas Education Agency doesn't even mention the word "valedictorian" when defining eligibility for the college scholarship.

The state provides Texas high schools with an "Honor Graduate Certificate." The certificate is to be presented to the "highest ranking graduate" in the senior class, according to Texas Education Code.

State officials say it is the local school district's responsibility to determine the highest ranking student, and the state has no authority to get involved. At graduation June 7, Anjali will be honored for her perfect ACT score. She will be acknowledged as an honor graduate and allowed to address her classmates.

But Anjali said it still doesn't feel quite right.

"This really diminishes the value of the valedictorian title," she said.

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
She deserves it and I bet if she was white it'd be a different story.

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I know, but she accomplished more in three years (GPA-wise) than he did in four...I still don't see why she should be penalized.

It is a huge financial penalty as well...what is the current cost to attend UT for a year with all costs paid?

And WOW, a perfect ACT score...amazing.

STANG RED
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Life just simply isn’t always fair, and it's always been that way, and it always will be. Get over it.
My daughter had a very high GPA that would have made her valedictorian in eight of the proceeding years of her graduation, and every year since. But as luck would have it, she was 3rd in her class. Didn’t even get salutatorian. But that is just the way it is. Had she dropped out of sports and most extracurricular activities (as they did), she possibly could have beat the other two out. But she is now a very well rounded individual with much success in her future. We and she have no regrets about it.

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Life just simply isn’t always fair, and it's always been that way, and it always will be. Get over it.
My daughter had a very high GPA that would have made her valedictorian in eight of the proceeding years of her graduation, and every year since. But as luck would have it, she was 3rd in her class. Didn’t even get salutatorian. But that is just the way it is. Had she dropped out of sports and most extracurricular activities (as they did), she possibly could have beat the other two out. But she is now a very well rounded individual with much success in her future. We and she have no regrets about it. That's completely different and irrelevent.

Phil C
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
In Sinton we had a girl a few years ago graduate after three years but she had to settle for third place per the administration. She was a medical doctor at age 23.

Rocket Dad
05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Rules say 4 year graduate ... enough said.

44INAROW
05-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue

That's completely different and irrelevent.

you answered your own "statement"
not everything is 'black and white'

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
you answered your own "statement"
not everything is 'black and white' Well obviously....she is neither :D:cool: :p

3afan
05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
she'll get a full ride anyways ........

DDBooger
05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
she'll get a full ride anyways ........ I was about to say the same thing. hell the girl will likely get PAID to go to a school. she'll be done in two and working on Ph.d in 5.

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
"The state provides Texas high schools with an "Honor Graduate Certificate." The certificate is to be presented to the "highest ranking graduate" in the senior class, according to Texas Education Code."

There may be the answer, if being "IN" the senior class constitutes attending high school for four years. We have a young lady who, by "classification" is a junior, but by busting her butt, has enough credits to "graduate" tomorrow and will be attending A&M in the fall, instead of LHHS. She cannot participate in graduation ceremonies, but is receiving her diploma outside of them.

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't know why, since I should be used to it by now, but this crap from you continues to amaze me. :rolleyes:

NastySlot
05-29-2008, 11:21 AM
so is she consider in the 10% of her class?....and im going to venture to say with her grades and test scores she is getting a lot of scholarship money...............i will say this is a rule that might need to get changed....the highest gpa in 100 years wow.

44INAROW
05-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by GoBlue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't know why, since I should be used to it by now, but this crap from you continues to amaze me. :rolleyes:
you should see what I ORIGINALLY posted but quickly edited.... I would have put you in a position of ROMMING ME..... that is a subject that gets my blood boiling... talk about reverse discr...... nevermind.. see, I am getting worked up again...

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
"The state provides Texas high schools with an "Honor Graduate Certificate." The certificate is to be presented to the "highest ranking graduate" in the senior class, according to Texas Education Code."

There may be the answer, if being "IN" the senior class constitutes attending high school for four years. We have a young lady who, by "classification" is a junior, but by busting her butt, has enough credits to "graduate" tomorrow and will be attending A&M in the fall, instead of LHHS. She cannot participate in graduation ceremonies, but is receiving her diploma outside of them.

See, I really don't understand why she can't participate in graduation ceremonies...it simply doesn't make sense to me. If she has completed the necessary credit hours and can graduate with the current graduating class...what the heck?

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
See, I really don't understand why she can't participate in graduation ceremonies...it simply doesn't make sense to me. If she has completed the necessary credit hours and can graduate with the current graduating class...what the heck? Word.....she met state regulations.

sahen
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
so is she consider in the 10% of her class?....and im going to venture to say with her grades and test scores she is getting a lot of scholarship money...............i will say this is a rule that might need to get changed....the highest gpa in 100 years wow.

the girl had a perfect ACT score, her college will be paid for, if it isnt then she shouldve looked elsewhere cause plenty of colleges will pay for you to go to school there with that kind of score...

as far as the highest GPA in 100 years, yes that is true, but they havent had AP and Pre-AP classes that boost that GPA up over 4.0 the past 100 years, its very possible that someone couldve had a 4.0 in the year 1920 or something like that which is perfect, not saying it happened but they should really say she has the highest GPA since their current system of calculating GPAs was established....

in all, this seems like a big deal to the girl now but in the long run it isnt going to matter, im sure she has her college paid for and will graduate w/ honors and such from UT...if anything this might teach her a lesson that will help her down the road in life...

sahen
05-29-2008, 11:41 AM

did she get her credits by may or is she having to go to summer school this year to finish up? if she got her credits by may then that is wrong for the district to do...(this to me seems like a bigger deal than the original girl in this post, you are taking away the graduation ceremony which isnt right)...

rockdale80
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
An extra year can change a GPA. I dont think that the school should have have made a separate award for that. Sure it is something to be proud of and I am sure she deserves it, but it goes back to watering down of recognitions. Like some all district picks, etc...

raider red 2000
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM
didnt it say she was taking HS classes in junior high....why dosnt that year count????

i say give it to her.....but to me it dosnt really matter.....i wasnt that smart...and never worked that hard.

that is why my dad brags on me.....i was in the top 75% of my class :)

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Word.....she met state regulations.
State regulations do not necessarily equate to district policy.

Originally posted by sahen
did she get her credits by may or is she having to go to summer school this year to finish up? if she got her credits by may then that is wrong for the district to do...(this to me seems like a bigger deal than the original girl in this post, you are taking away the graduation ceremony which isnt right)...
I'm fairly certain that she has everything completed now without summer school. BUT, it's been about 3 weeks since I visited with her mom, so maybe I forgot something. I'm positive we've had early grads before that had necessary credits in December of their senior year. I know in the 2003 class, one of my son's friends was finished then, and if I remember right, he did not "walk" either.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I voted no, simply because the policy was implemented a long time before this. Someone in the school district thought this was the right way to approach the situation and nothing was said about it by anyone until it was a self-serving situation. This is something that should have been brought up a long time ago before the fact instead of trying to leave it all to a scramble until the last minute. No doubt that she deserves the honor outright, but this is a matter that if she really cared about, she would have addressed it before the fact.

rockdale80
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I voted no, simply because the policy was implemented a long time before this. Someone in the school district thought this was the right way to approach the situation and nothing was said about it by anyone until it was a self-serving situation. This is something that should have been brought up a long time ago before the fact instead of trying to leave it all to a scramble until the last minute. No doubt that she deserves the honor outright, but this is a matter that if she really cared about, she would have addressed it before the fact.

That and a year can alter a GPA. If everyone else is based on a 4 year scale and she is on 3 year scale then she has an advantage. Not saying it would have changed things, but it could. She could have became interested in a boy and shrugged off school work, etc...

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM

Yoour assuming her and her family knew of this rule before it was addressed...and they also said the ISD had been researching it for months

The original intent of the rule was correct, but IMO as alot of rules the interpretation of it is wrong in this situation

raider red 2000
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM

she was told by a counselor that it shouldnt effect her status.

kaorder1999
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
I was also told by my jh counselor that I would be a very wealthy man if I continued to do well in school....

raider red 2000
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I was also told by my jh counselor that I would be a very wealthy man if I continued to do well in school....

well i guess both got lied to :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

Well, the counselor should not have made promises that would not or could not be met. Also note that the district refuses to comment; it could have been an error in communication and interpretation as well.

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
look at it from the aspect of the guy named Valedictorian who went to the school all 4 years. Would hate to be in his shoes....
See, there's the thing. I spent some time the other day waiting to see the counselor. There are charts hanging outside her office with class rankings....FOUR charts - one for each classification. The student id for the highest GPA in the senior class will be the Valedictorian. When these kids are ending their 8th grade year, they begin to hear about class ranking in high school. They are competing for Valedictorian, Salutatorian, top 10% ranking, or even a ranking that is "acceptable" for college admittance (combined with SAT/ACT scores). How would any of you feel if your GPA was at the top of the chart the entire FOUR YEARS (the policy) of high school to find out just before graduation that wasn't good enough?

Sorry, but the school was correct, IMO.

kaorder1999
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
See, there's the thing. I spent some time the other day waiting to see the counselor. There are charts hanging outside her office with class rankings....FOUR charts - one for each classification. The student id for the highest GPA in the senior class will be the Valedictorian. When these kids are ending their 8th grade year, they begin to hear about class ranking in high school. They are competing for Valedictorian, Salutatorian, top 10% ranking, or even a ranking that is "acceptable" for college admittance (combined with SAT/ACT scores). How would any of you feel if your GPA was at the top of the chart the entire FOUR YEARS (the policy) of high school to find out just before graduation that wasn't good enough?

Sorry, but the school was correct, IMO.
im siding with the school on this one too after much thought!

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Okay you two....we are just going to have to agree on disagreeing on this one.;)

I can sometimes be convinced, or even reconsider and actually change my mind....but not this time. :kiss: :D

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Okay you two....we are just going to have to agree on disagreeing on this one.;)

I can sometimes be convinced, or even reconsider and actually change my mind....but not this time. :kiss: :D
We'll put you in charge of informing Tyler Franklin and his family. :devil: :p ;)

BwdLions
05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Get that crap out of here. :mad:

Old Tiger
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
screw the rules maaaan they're meant to be broken maaaaan

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
We'll put you in charge of informing Tyler Franklin and his family. :devil: :p ;)

haha...I could seriously do that and not have a problem with it. Well, okay, I would feel sorry for him, but guess what...at the end of the day her GPA was still higher.

Okay, I'll try to stop being argumentative.:cool:

rockdale80
05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yoour assuming her and her family knew of this rule before it was addressed...and they also said the ISD had been researching it for months

The original intent of the rule was correct, but IMO as alot of rules the interpretation of it is wrong in this situation

If you look at it in the sense that a fourth year can alter a GPA then how is the interpretation skewed?

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
If you look at it in the sense that a fourth year can alter a GPA then how is the interpretation skewed?

The intent of the rule was so someone would not move in their sr year and boom they have top honor

that is not what has happened here, she was at the school her full HS time

It is basically saying hey we know you did so much netter than everyone else, but you did TO GOOD and because of that we cant recognize you except with this made up special award

rockdale80
05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
The intent of the rule was so someone would not move in their sr year and boom they have top honor

It is basically saying hey we know you did so much netter than everyone else, but you did TO GOOD and because of that we cant recognize you except with this made up special award

so if a team is winning at the end of the 3rd quarter then they win the game? That is my point. Another quarter can change the outcome. ;)

and who is netter than everyone else?

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
so if a team is winning at the end of the 3rd quarter then they win the game? That is my point. Another quarter can change the outcome. ;)

and who is netter than everyone else?

But she did not just play 3 quarters of a game..She played the full game, just faster than anyone else

And we all are netter with knowledge :D

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
screw the rules maaaan they're meant to be broken maaaaan
:doh: :doh: :doh: You're not too bright, huh?

rockdale80
05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
But she did not just play 3 quarters of a game..She played the full game, just faster than anyone else

And we all are netter with knowledge :D

No she played an abridged game. There is another year that could have altered her GPA that everyone else endured. I am not saying she doesnt deserve the honor, or wouldnt have ended up on top after a 4th year, but doing this changes the playing field for everyone else.

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2008, 01:45 PM
No she played an abridged game. There is another year that could have altered her GPA that everyone else endured. I am not saying she doesnt deserve the honor, or wouldnt have ended up on top after a 4th year, but doing this changes the playing field for everyone else.

She had already gotten her required credits..So could she even go that 4th year? Even if she did..what would she take?

It was not abridged, she finished the full workload required by the HS, how is that abridged?

ronwx5x
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Would it work for fairness if the rule were modified to indicate that three of the four years of high school must be at the same school? This would solve the problem of the senior move-in as well as finishing in three years.

As far as finishing in three years, I believe the graduation requirements must still be completed. She completed all requirements, just sooner than most.

rockdale80
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
So a 4th year couldnt have altered any of her grades?

AP Panther Fan
05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
She had already gotten her required credits..So could she even go that 4th year? Even if she did..what would she take?

It was not abridged, she finished the full workload required by the HS, how is that abridged?

:clap: :clap: :clap: my point exactly...

She is fairly lucky that she started high school when she did since Texas (I think it is Texas and not just our district) now requires 26 rather than 24 credits (4 yrs english, 4 years math, 4 yrs science) It has gotten much more difficult to graduate in 3 years if you are a freshman this year...

Heck she might have done all of this anyway in preparation for college (AP/duel credit classes etc....) she seems pretty focused. I wonder how many college hours she has received in high school.:thinking:

Ranger Mom
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
See, I really don't understand why she can't participate in graduation ceremonies...it simply doesn't make sense to me. If she has completed the necessary credit hours and can graduate with the current graduating class...what the heck?

I don't understand that either. My daughter finished High School in 3 years, she got to walk across the stage!

piratebg
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
She got cheated. That's how I see it. :dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd:

SWMustang
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
if she went the fourth year of high school she could have become a meth addict and pushed out a kid. The other kids made it all 4 years without doing that.

ronwx5x
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by jason
here is a more detailed article - it explains the 4 year rule and the automatic scholarship

lfox@dallasnews.com

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/052908dnmetvaledictorian.3b254412.html)

I edited this down to just the part about the counselor. She had reason to believe it "would not be a problem" if she finished in three years. Granted, the counselor should not have made that statement, but the young lady relied on the counselors opinion, and thus she did not question the subject earlier.

ronwx5x
05-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
if she went the fourth year of high school she could have become a meth addict and pushed out a kid. The other kids made it all 4 years without doing that.

Do you honestly believe someone of this young lady's intelligence might "have become a meth addict and pushed out a kid".

Ranger Mom
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Do you honestly believe someone of this young lady's intelligence might "have become a meth addict and pushed out a kid".

No that I agree with him....but

It doesn't only happen to stupid people!! Smart people screw up too!!!

SWMustang
05-29-2008, 02:58 PM

no - I'm just sayin'...

BreckTxLonghorn
05-29-2008, 03:13 PM

I frankly see both sides. But just to play Devil's advocate, let's use another metaphor:

Assumptions:
--Goal is to run a Mile
--Quality of run is taken into effect. Running backwards is considered better than running forwards.
--Fastest time wins. Quality serves as tiebreaker.

--Student A runs the mile in 4 minutes (wow!)
--Student B runs the mile in an astonishing 3 minutes going backwards(double wow!)

They both went the distance, but student B did it faster. And what's more, student B ran the mile better.

Why wouldn't student B get the gold medal?

It's not the best analogy, but its hard to use football because its based on a time, not a distance or measurable.

ronwx5x
05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
No that I agree with him....but

It doesn't only happen to stupid people!! Smart people screw up too!!!

Sure they do, just check me out! j/k But, surely we can agree that the liklihood of a major mistake is less in a young lady with these credentials.

SWMustang
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Sure they do, just check me out! j/k But, surely we can agree that the liklihood of a major mistake is less in a young lady with these credentials.

unlikely, yes. Beyond the realm of possibility? no. I could see her and a study mate taking some anatomy discussions a little too far.

loboes86
05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
They had a similiar problem like this in Kermit last year. The school board said basicly that this was not her class that she was graduating with . The kid that had worked to keep his grades up with his class would be kept from recieving the honors they had worked so hard for by another that was not realy apart of that class for the last 4 years. They gave the honors to the kid that had been with that class all 4 years.

Ranger Mom
05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
They had a similiar problem like this in Kermit last year. The school board said basicly that this was not her class that she was graduating with . The kid that had worked to keep his grades up with his class would be kept from recieving the honors they had worked so hard for by another that was not realy apart of that class for the last 4 years. They gave the honors to the kid that had been with that class all 4 years.

I thought this story sounded familiar!!!!

jlg043
05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Im kind of in the middle on this one... I feel like if she has the highest gpa of the class she should be valedictorian but at the same time I wouldnt want some chick who didnt wasn't in my class her whole life to represent our class... I would want the person who grew up with us our whole life...

So I am yes and no on this...

SWMustang
05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
Im kind of in the middle on this one... I feel like if she has the highest gpa of the class she should be valedictorian but at the same time I wouldnt want some chick who didnt wasn't in my class her whole life to represent our class... I would want the person who grew up with us our whole life...

So I am yes and no on this...

you have to choose - no middle ground - you're either with us or against us

BreckTxLonghorn
05-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
you have to choose - no middle ground - you're either with us or against us

Easy, have her GPA stand with her original class, and if no one beats it, she comes back and gets the scholarship for her second year in :D :devil:

SWMustang
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Easy, have her GPA stand with her original class, and if no one beats it, she comes back and gets the scholarship for her second year in :D :devil:

I like it, problem solved!!! Let's move on to world hunger now.

jlg043
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

I think your on to something here!:thinking:
Im in the middle maan I cant make up my mind...
If you have the highest gpa you should be valedictorian but then again someone who busted their but as well and was always number one in their class then the last yr some girl whos not even originally in their class comes and steals it... I would want to be represented by someone in our class and the person with the highest gpa so I am split on this decision

Luckly we didnt have to deal with that

LH Panther Mom
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM

She was in the school her full HS time, but if you think about it, in a way, she "moved in" to the classification.

Hupernikomen
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM

This policy was not written to prevent move ins from getting the top spot. However, I am quite certain they have one of those too just like every other district does. Usually they say something along the lines of 2 years, 2.5 years or 3 years must be completed within the district. Some might even have it in policy that the student had to complete all 4 years of high school within the district.

This policy was expressly written for this very reason, so that students who are on an accelerated graduation timetable won't supplant the students who have been competing against one group of students for several years to lose out to a newcomer at the last minute. This also prevents students who are really close to graduating to go pick up an outside credit or two to graduate early and pick up top spot in the graduating class ahead of them that they wouldn't earn say if a girl like this was in their graduating class.

There have been countless lawsuits and situations exactly like this one that required this school district and most others to adopt similar policies.

Txbroadcaster
05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
This policy was not written to prevent move ins from getting the top spot. However, I am quite certain they have one of those too just like every other district does. Usually they say something along the lines of 2 years, 2.5 years or 3 years must be completed within the district. Some might even have it in policy that the student had to complete all 4 years of high school within the district.

This policy was expressly written for this very reason, so that students who are on an accelerated graduation timetable won't supplant the students who have been competing against one group of students for several years to lose out to a newcomer at the last minute. This also prevents students who are really close to graduating to go pick up an outside credit or two to graduate early and pick up top spot in the graduating class ahead of them that they wouldn't earn say if a girl like this was in their graduating class.

There have been countless lawsuits and situations exactly like this one that required this school district and most others to adopt similar policies.

Well that is not what the school district said..From the article