PDA

View Full Version : professor just doing her job?

mistanice
05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't know how many of you have been in this situation with final grades but this past semester I had one class where I ended up with a 89.78 for my final grade. Sure I could have done better on a couple of exams but I did what I could. Anyways, I asked the professor if she rounded up if it was close enough.......well she said no and that I had many opportunities to make an A and she didn't make that a practice.

well all in all, ended up with 4 A's and that one B! :thinking:

I was angry at first, but realized it was my own doing.

anyone else been through this? :(

DU_stud04
05-28-2008, 06:13 PM
been there done that. then i reminded the professor who i was. got my grade changed. ;)

zebrablue2
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
my son last sem. at aggieland. prof's at these major U's are their own drummers-- LOL.. march to their beat and keep doing your best..

Ranger Mom
05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
I remember when our "star running back" got a 69.75 for a grade algebra.

When the running back asked the teacher if he rounded up he said "no...why should I? You didn't make a 70, you made a 69.75."

So....he was out for the next 3 weeks.....he never made THAT mistake again!!
:)

waterboy
05-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Being on the cusp like that is a tough call. When in college I had that happen to me a couple of times. One ended in an A, and the other ended being a B. It upset me tremendously because, up to that point, I had never made a B. I got over it though because I knew I could've done better if only I'd studied a little more.

Black_Magic
05-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Some places have a policy of rounding up to the next point. But that also leads to the Idea of.. But I have a 68.7.. that makes a 69 and you should not fail me for one point... Give an inch and they want a mile. I think you should round up to the nearest point.

pancho villa
05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
I almost got an A once in college.

jason
05-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I almost got an A once in college. i made an A in golf in my last semester of college - probably would have made an A in guitar also, but i dropped it because i would go play golf instead of guitar lesson haha....

charlesrixey
05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
I don't know how many of you have been in this situation with final grades but this past semester I had one class where I ended up with a 89.78 for my final grade. Sure I could have done better on a couple of exams but I did what I could. Anyways, I asked the professor if she rounded up if it was close enough.......well she said no and that I had many opportunities to make an A and she didn't make that a practice.

well all in all, ended up with 4 A's and that one B! :thinking:

I was angry at first, but realized it was my own doing.

anyone else been through this? :(

most upper level professors (jr-masters and beyond) won't change grades, but professors of all students have some freedom since most courses include a final paper which they can be subjective on

if a teacher feels you are working hard, they are more likely to curve the final paper a little--but the longer they teach the more they are concerned with the overall quality of the students' learning and less on what specific grade they earn.

Suffice it to say/a junior college 27 year old teacher is more likely to curve you up than a 57 year old professor of World Economics at SMU

pancho villa
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by jason
i made an A in golf in my last semester of college - probably would have made an A in guitar also, but i dropped it because i would go play golf instead of guitar lesson haha....

I did get a B once in elementry arts and crafts. I cut up some mean paper dolls.

JasperDog94
05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Mistanice,

You did the right thing by asking. Some people would have just complained about it, but you took the initiative to ask the professor. Unfortunately she said no. Look at it this way: you are no worse off for asking.:)

I had the same professor for six straight classes in various music classes in college. After the last class was done I had an 89. I went and asked him if it was possible to round that up to a 90 and he said that six straight semesters was probably worth one point. :D I was also one of these guys that didn't skip classes, so I'm sure that helped.

eppy 12
05-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I remember when our "star running back" got a 69.75 for a grade algebra.

When the running back asked the teacher if he rounded up he said "no...why should I? You didn't make a 70, you made a 69.75."

So....he was out for the next 3 weeks.....he never made THAT mistake again!!
:) :clap: :clap: ya get what you earn!

Phil C
05-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I had a niece in high school that made all As except for PE where she got a B. One of her teachers was so upset she told the coach while other coaches were around "Don't ever ask for any favors from me again for one of you athletes. That goes for all you coaches." Needless to say there were some nevous coaches after that remark. I think she got all A's the rest of the semester.

:)

BwdLions
05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I don't think a grade should ever be changed or rounded up. Once a teacher averages your grade, it is what it is.

I know a lot of pressure is put on high school teachers to change grades of star athletes (or it used to be that way back in the 80s). It's just not right.

Black_Magic
05-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I had a niece in high school that made all As except for PE where she got a B. One of her teachers was so upset she told the coach while other coaches were around "Don't ever ask for any favors from me again for one of you athletes. That goes for all you coaches." Needless to say there were some nevous coaches after that remark. I think she got all A's the rest of the semester.

:) Thats garbage! Some brainiac thinks they deserve an A regardles in PE just because they get it in academic classes. Maybe the kid didnt do what is required for an A. We are not talking Pass fail here we are talking A-B.... Big difference in A and F.

eppy 12
05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Thats garbage! Some brainiac thinks they deserve an A regardles in PE just because they get it in academic classes. Maybe the kid didnt do what is required for an A. We are not talking Pass fail here we are talking A-B.... Big difference in A and F. "wa-waa, but.. but the B will keep me from the Deans List, waa-waa":p

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
From the professor:

I'm faced with this each semester. I clearly spell out in my syllabus the grading procedures. (I do not give any extra credit so they know what they get is what they get). a 89.5 and up is an A -- 79.5 is a B and so forth and so on. As long as it is spelled out there are no issues. Now I still get a handfull of students that ask me to round up because they have a 79.2 and I will not do it -- creates the slippery slope as someone mentioned earlier.

Phil C
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
In High School I had a biology teacher and at that time below 70 was an F. At the end of the year if a student had a 69 or 68 or 69.5 which a friend of mine had he would round it up to 70 so they could pass. He didn't want them to get discouraged and quit school. A good man Mr. Garza.

Silverback 04
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Once had a teacher tell me that he would round up for me as long as the next time I pulled an 80.5 it was OK if he rounded that down to a 79. A hole. Didn't agree to that as I was more apt to make a borderline C than a borderline A.