PDA

View Full Version : Houston Astros...oldest team in MLB.

Sweetwater Red
05-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Texas Rangers one of the youngest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters

sahen
05-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Houston is also the shortest and the 2nd lightest team...go figure, guess old dudes get shorter and if your a pro baseball player, lose weight...

g$$
05-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Numbers are skewed by a few (Brocail, Loretta, etc.), also have many young guys too (Bourn, Towles, Pence).

I could care less. 7 games over .500 & in the hunt. With the injuries & Oswalt's problems, I will sure take it right now. Fun & exciting team to watch.

Sweetwater Red
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Numbers are skewed by a few (Brocail, Loretta, etc.), also have many young guys too (Bourn, Towles, Pence).

I could care less. 7 games over .500 & in the hunt. With the injuries & Oswalt's problems, I will sure take it right now. Fun & exciting team to watch.

I didn't mean it was a bad thing. I just thought it was kinda cool
to see where your team ranked in those categories. BTW if you
see Tejada at the next game, would you go to tell him to lose some weight
and start stealing more bases for my fantasy baseball team.:D

g$$
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I didn't mean it was a bad thing. I just thought it was kinda cool
to see where your team ranked in those categories. BTW if you
see Tejada at the next game, would you go to tell him to lose some weight
and start stealing more bases for my fantasy baseball team.:D

Tejada's mashing & playing good defense too. Not gonna be a base stealer much at this point in career. Berkman has a career high 10 so far though!

I knew you weren't poking fun, no big deal.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
What a steal financially right now $396,000 (league min.) The Boy will be due a huge contract next year when his current minor league contract expires.

g$$
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
What a steal financially right now $396,000 (league min.) The Boy will be due a huge contract next year when his current minor league contract expires.

Pence is still under club control for 2 more years I believe. The CBA is worded that way to give clubs a chance to retain their own. I expect the Astros to lock him up much like MIL did Ryan Braun to a long-term deal soon (even though he could not leave anytime soon). Probably this off-season for Pence.

By doing this, it helps both sides. The player has security & the club avoids FA when the player becomes eligible after years of service time per the CBA.

No doubt Pence is a stud & he is not going anywhwere.

Panther One
05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$

The Astros' bench accounts for much of the age, but I don't mind having some old wily vets (or as they refer to themselves, the five wisemen) on the bench. It's good for the younger players. Ausmus is pretty much a player/coach this year.

Ausmus 39
Loretta 36
Blum 35
Cruz 34
Erstad 34