PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young almost quit the NFL after one season

JasperDog94
05-27-2008, 04:07 PM
link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vince-Young-very-nearly-quit-football?urn=nfl,84426)

For the first time this year, the people at EA Sports elected to put a retired player on the cover of their Madden video game. Unbeknownst to them, they almost did the same thing last year. Vince Young was ready to quit football after his rookie year.

He doesn't go into great detail about the reasons, but he did tell Thomas George of NFL.com that things were once so bad for him that retirement was a viable option.

"I really thought long and hard about it. There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.

If nothing else, it's a reminder that we never, ever really know what's going on with our favorite athletes. Or anyone, really. Being rich, being famous, being idolized, being on the cover of Madden ... none of it guarantees that a guy won't be sitting at home crying his eyes out and listening to, I don't know, Elliott Smith albums or something.

If he even considered walking away from life in the NFL, whatever pain or frustration he was experiencing had to be pretty profound. It's probably Merril Hoge's fault.

Young's feeling better about things now, though.

"My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

That's good to hear. And I suppose this post wouldn't be complete without mention of these pictures that made the rounds recently. I never paid them much attention here, because I didn't think they were that big of a deal. He's sweaty, he's shirtless, he's drinking. He's allowed. More than half of the posts I'll make today will be in the same condition.

It's odd to think, though, that if the same pictured had surfaced a year ago, and they got the same attention, it might have been the thing that pushed Vince Young into an extremely early retirement.

Phil C
05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Hang in there Vince. You will do ok. But you should have listened to your coaches and came back your last year. So should Charles and Sweed.

sahen
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
"I really thought long and hard about it. There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.
[/B]

So, he actually had to enter the real world for a little while?? I mean, i got all these payment to make and people get sick in my family...It is tuff, I worry a lot, I almost retired after one year too, but hey they gave me a raise and i said to heck w/ it, i'll try to pay these bills....:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Is it actually considered "retiring" after only ONE season? Give me a freaking break! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

carter08
05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Mad props to the writer for name dropping Elliot Smith

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Is it actually considered "retiring" after only ONE season? Give me a freaking break! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Are you calling him a crybaby?

Money is just a material possession. What really matters is Vince's happiness. If he no longer felt happy playing football, he has the right to quit.

High School Football is a game. Professional Football is a job. Work is the number one reason most people are unhappy. Remember that.

big daddy russ
05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I might understand where he's coming from. If you're miserable with the job you have and don't see an end to it, find a better situation. It happens all the time when people become priests/ministers, teachers, etc.

I sacrificed money (and a lot of it) for a better work environment at the start of the year and haven't regretted a minute of it. All it means is that my fiance (well, she'll be my wife in a few weeks) and I are stuck with a seven-year-old Ford Focus instead of a brand new Lexus. That Lexus, as nice as it is, wouldn't make my job bearable. I would've been bringing that baggage home with me every day, and that's a terrible way to start a marriage.

I don't know Vince's situation, which is why I said that I MIGHT understand where he's coming from. If he's just being a crybaby about his home life, I'd tell him to suck it up and be a man about it. If it was the job and all the pressures that surround it that were making him miserable, I'd actually respect him for leaving all the fame and money behind.

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Are you calling him a crybaby?

Money is just a material possession. What really matters is Vince's happiness. If he no longer felt happy playing football, he has the right to quit.

High School Football is a game. Professional Football is a job. Work is the number one reason most people are unhappy. Remember that.
Most of the rest of us have jobs as well. And I'd be willing to bet that most people have things that worry us. And sure he has the right to quit. If someone doesn't like their job, it's not a good thing. But don't try to blame it on your family. Quit for the right reasons. And no, I am NOT talking about money.

carter08
05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Most of the rest of us have jobs as well. And I'd be willing to bet that most people have things that worry us. And sure he has the right to quit. If someone doesn't like their job, it's not a good thing. But don't try to blame it on your family. Quit for the right reasons. And no, I am NOT talking about money.

Who's to say he didn't actually need to help his family.

NFL QB's make a lot of money. Money helps your family out. But you also need to around them. Constant roadtrips to the exotic lands of Buffalo and Miami put you away from the family.

Money's great. But if he seriously thought he needed to leave football for his family, he could have found a good paying job where he could always be around them.

Txbroadcaster
05-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Dont think we can say he is wrong for saying his family was a cause unless we know what was going on...Maybe his family was truly one of the core problems and why he was not happy

I just find it odd, a NFL player IMO shows him human side and admites problems can effect even someone people think is a hero, superstar or whatever and people will find away to find fault

PHS Wildcats
05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Dont think we can say he is wrong for saying his family was a cause unless we know what was going on...Maybe his family was truly one of the core problems and why he was not happy

I just find it odd, a NFL player IMO shows him human side and admites problems can effect even someone people think is a hero, superstar or whatever and people will find away to find fault

I agree:clap:

sahen
05-27-2008, 08:51 PM

its the fact that it is a story...its like im reading something from one of those celebrities on the E! channel...the headline should read "Vince Young faces real life challenges, almost quit job but decided he'd tuff it out and give it a go, this time it worked out"...i dont mind the fact that he had some issues and had to work it out, everyone does...prolly best for him to get a dose of reality early in his career as well, but he shouldnt be a drama queen about it....

kepdawg
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by sahen
but he shouldnt be a drama queen about it....

He should leave that to the people on message boards!

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
He should leave that to the people on message boards!
Well, duh! It's what we do! :D

(sahen.....I understand completely what you're saying :) )

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I didn't even know there was such a thing as "retirement" after one year!!

Shows how much I know!:confused:

Txbroadcaster
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by sahen
its the fact that it is a story...its like im reading something from one of those celebrities on the E! channel...the headline should read "Vince Young faces real life challenges, almost quit job but decided he'd tuff it out and give it a go, this time it worked out"...i dont mind the fact that he had some issues and had to work it out, everyone does...prolly best for him to get a dose of reality early in his career as well, but he shouldnt be a drama queen about it....

Was he being a drama queen? Dont really know..depends on how the questions were asked..I do know this is beginning of year 3 in pro ball, this all happened after year one, yet this is first time we are hearing about it, so it is not like he has been whining about it

coach
05-28-2008, 01:06 AM
and i thought barry sanders was a sissy

bobcat1
05-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by coach
and i thought barry sanders was a sissy :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm with you coach.

LH Panther Mom
05-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I didn't even know there was such a thing as "retirement" after one year!!

Shows how much I know!:confused:
Once again, I'm glad to have some company in my confusion. ;)

pancho villa
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Give me a break. He is making millions of dollars playing a game. Poor poor pitiful me!

g$$
05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Give me a break. He is making millions of dollars playing a game. Poor poor pitiful me!

Exactly. Welcome to the real world VY.

Maybe this explains going shirtless & guzzling Patron Tequila recently in an Austin bar...j/k...then apologizing for his actions as a role model.

And Carter: he is taking care of his family thru that NFL gig called being a 1st round pick as qb for TENN.

Emerson1
05-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Maybe this explains going shirtless & guzzling Patron Tequila recently in an Austin bar...j/k...then apologizing for his actions as a role model.

And Carter: he is taking care of his family thru that NFL gig called being a 1st round pick as qb for TENN.
So if someone in your family was dieing or something, you would just send them a million dollars and call it ok?

g$$
05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
So if someone in your family was dieing or something, you would just send them a million dollars and call it ok?

What in the hell does that even mean? Make sense if you care to ask me a question please.

Ranger Mom
05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
What in the hell does that even mean? Make sense if you care to ask me a question please.

I understood what he meant!!

Txbroadcaster
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I love all this welcome to the real world talk...This is not someone who was pampered and rich his whole life then forced to be in the real world, this is someone who was in the real world probably alot longer than most of us. He made all the correct decisions in his life stayed out of trouble when it was all around him and dug himself out of poverty

All he did was open up and be honest about how life is not as easy as people think when your a starting QB in the NFL..most likely the family issues he was talking asbout were people like his estranged father who had no part in his life coming out of the woodworks wanting some love( MONEY) from Vince

We damn the young players who are cocky and arrogant, calling them thugs, and we damn the young players who simply are honest and open about their struggles...I guess we just want to damn them all

and all this has nothing to do with how much money he makes, it is about ANY young man who goes from college life to now being the breadwinner not only for himself, but for his whole family tree.

Emmit Smith once said the day he left college he went from being a young man to a 50 year old having to worry about everyone, because everyone relied on him, family, teammates and fans

g$$
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I understood what he meant!!

Then tell me...do your job & shut up VY. He lived in a vacuum for so long & could not handle criticism it seems.

He has taken care of his family I realize. House for mom & lots of other stuff. Is he the only person in world with real life problems?

BreckTxLonghorn
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I love all this welcome to the real world talk...This is not someone who was pampered and rich his whole life then forced to be in the real world, this is someone who was in the real world probably alot longer than most of us. He made all the correct decisions in his life stayed out of trouble when it was all around him and dug himself out of poverty

All he did was open up and be honest about how life is not as easy as people think when your a starting QB in the NFL..most likely the family issues he was talking asbout were people like his estranged father who had no part in his life coming out of the woodworks wanting some love( MONEY) from Vince

We damn the young players who are cocky and arrogant, calling them thugs, and we damn the young players who simply are honest and open about their struggles...I guess we just want to damn them all

and all this has nothing to do with how much money he makes, it is about ANY young man who goes from college life to now being the breadwinner not only for himself, but for his whole family tree.

Emmit Smith once said the day he left college he went from being a young man to a 50 year old having to worry about everyone, because everyone relied on him, family, teammates and fans

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Txbroadcaster
05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Then tell me...do your job & shut up VY. He lived in a vacuum for so long & could not handle criticism it seems.

He has taken care of his family I realize. House for mom & lots of other stuff. Is he the only person in world with real life problems?

your reading it with the wrong attitude, he was saying that being a NFL QB did not mean real world problems did not hit him, he was saying just like everyone else he felt the pressure of the real world

Ask almost ANY College student one year after graduating how tough it is and I bet more than 70% would say at one point in that first year they felt like just quitting their job and the pressures the job creates. They all go from a walled exsitence to having to fend for themselves without the easyness of college life.

Now add that to the pressure ANY college star faces when they are considered the savior of a franchise and the expectations of that

Old Tiger
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by g$$

He has taken care of his family I realize. House for mom & lots of other stuff. Is he the only person in world with real life problems? for level headed people money does not = happiness

g$$
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
your reading it with the wrong attitude, he was saying that being a NFL QB did not mean real world problems did not hit him, he was saying just like everyone else he felt the pressure of the real world

Ask almost ANY College student one year after graduating how tough it is and I bet more than 70% would say at one point in that first year they felt like just quitting their job and the pressures the job creates. They all go from a walled exsitence to having to fend for themselves without the easyness of college life.

Now add that to the pressure ANY college star faces when they are considered the savior of a franchise and the expectations of that

And pro athlete or not, that is the REAL WORLD. We all have problems & concerns. I realize his are on the main stage for all to see, but he is well-compensated for it & CHOSE to shed light on this. You can't have it both ways.

There are 32 NFL teams - is he only the guy under pressure to perform? How about MLB, NBA, etc.? How about that engineer, lawyer, doctor, mother, father, teacher, etc.?

VY is not the 1st or last guy to have real life problems. Deal with it & come thru it stronger. Or, go get a real job in the real world making $30-40K per year. Might want to finish that degree 1st though because that Wunderlich score (twice) was nothing to be proud of for sure.

He was never "retiring" & anybody with 1/2 a brain knows it. Cry me a river VY & grow up.

g$$
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
for level headed people money does not = happiness

Never said it did - I said deal with problems as an adult in the real world.

JasperDog94
05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$
VY is not the 1st or last guy to have real life problems. Deal with it & come thru it stronger. Or, go get a real job in the real world making $30-40K per year. Might want to finish that degree 1st though because that Wunderlich score (twice) was nothing to be proud of for sure. :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Nice cheap shot.

He never said that he was the only guy with "real world" problems. Bitter much?:p

Txbroadcaster
05-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And pro athlete or not, that is the REAL WORLD. We all have problems & concerns. I realize his are on the main stage for all to see, but he is well-compensated for it & CHOSE to shed light on this. You can't have it both ways.

There are 32 NFL teams - is he only the guy under pressure to perform? How about MLB, NBA, etc.? How about that engineer, lawyer, doctor, mother, father, teacher, etc.?

VY is not the 1st or last guy to have real life problems. Deal with it & come thru it stronger. Or, go get a real job in the real world making $30-40K per year. Might want to finish that degree 1st though because that Wunderlich score (twice) was nothing to be proud of for sure.

He was never "retiring" & anybody with 1/2 a brain knows it. Cry me a river VY & grow up.

Where does he say he was the only one with problems? I mean Cmon G, he never said that

And he shed light on his own problem, again where is he whinning?? Looks like to me he was being brutally honest without whinning or bragging about overcoming them

You ever read Nolan Ryan's Autobiography? He talks about how unhappy he was as a Met and came real close to just hanging it up, guess he was a baby as well hu

..and real nice with the shots at him..Funny if he was an A&M QB I just dont see ya saying these things

Emerson1
05-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You basically said that since he makes millions of dollars that makes everything 100% ok with his family.

Originally posted by g$$

Those jobs you can be with your family come 5 pm. In the NFL unless you just pick up and move everyone you have 1 week from august to january to have any time off to see them.

You can also take a sick day if you need to, can't do that in the NFL.