PDA

View Full Version : BIG DEAL!! Is this even newsworthy??

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
People around here get stung by scorpions ALL the time!!!

BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. — One young shopper at a Wal-Mart in West Virginia had to watch out for more than falling prices.

A 12-year-old girl picking up a seedless watermelon from a bin was stung Sunday by a tan, inch-long scorpion that had apparently stowed away in a shipment from Mexico.

Megan Templeton, of Barboursville, was taken to the hospital as a precaution but later released. Her father, William Templeton, said the pain was a little worse than a bee sting.

He initially didn't believe his daughter when she said she had been stung by a scorpion, but then he saw the critter scurry underneath a box. It was captured by Wal-Mart employees.

Most of the nearly 2,000 kinds of scorpions are not dangerous to humans.

Richard Coyle, senior director of international affairs for Wal-Mart, said store employees believe the problem was with a single shipment of watermelons.

"We are very concerned," he said. "This is a very rare incident. When I spoke with the store manager, she said in her 17 years she had never heard of something like this."

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358424,00.html)

jason
05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
...future lawsuit of the day...

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Not a big deal at home, but in a store....woah Nellie. (Thinking this will be the next big "stupid lawsuit of the day".... :doh: )

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jason
...future lawsuit of the day...
LOL!

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Not a big deal at home, but in a store....woah Nellie. (Thinking this will be the next big "stupid lawsuit of the day".... :doh: )

Heck...we see scorpions around here all the time, they are as commonplace as mesquite trees ( and rattlesnakes!!:p )

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Heck...we see scorpions around here all the time, they are as commonplace as mesquite trees ( and rattlesnakes!!:p )
Same here! Okay, without the mesquite trees and rattlesnakes :p

kepdawg
05-27-2008, 03:23 PM

So? That doesn't mean I want to get stung by one when I go to WalMart!

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

I was just telling Jimmy last night that I was surprised we haven't seen any in the house so far this spring.

Wouldn't you know it? One was trying to get in an open window as I was shutting it about an hour later!!

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM

I wouldn't want to get stung by one no matter where I was!!

Been there, done that......several times!!!!

I still don't see where it deserves it's own little link on Foxnews!!

Must you ALWAYS have a "retort"??:mad: :mad:

ronwx5x
05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Same here! Okay, without the mesquite trees and rattlesnakes :p

SURELY you can't be telling us there are no mesquite trees and rattlesnakes around LH? Not the LH I remember.

kepdawg
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't want to get stung by one no matter where I was!!

Been there, done that......several times!!!!

I still don't see where it deserves it's own little link on Foxnews!!

Must you ALWAYS have a "retort"??:mad: :mad:

A lot of stuff on the news doesn't deserve to be news!

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
A lot of stuff on the news doesn't deserve to be news!

Exactly!

DU_stud04
05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
its packaging...there are alot of little critters that come in with packaging..... especially stuff they really dont have to take out....just chop the top off of and take it to the floor. things really must be slow to write an article about something as simple as this.

jlg043
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I have been stung a couple of times by Scorpions... One morning I woke up and a scorpion was sitting on my chest.... Scarrrrry!

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
I have been stung a couple of times by Scorpions... One morning I woke up and a scorpion was sitting on my chest.... Scarrrrry!

One of our members had a pet scorpion at one time....i can't remember which one though!

Big black ugly thing....(the scorpion..not the member!!):D

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
SURELY you can't be telling us there are no mesquite trees and rattlesnakes around LH? Not the LH I remember.
Not like Midland. ;)

eppy 12
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM
A lot of stuff on the news doesn't deserve to be news! filler..........:p

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
One of our members had a pet scorpion at one time....i can't remember which one though!

Big black ugly thing....(the scorpion..not the member!!):D
Wasn't it Boosty Hondo? :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Wasn't it Boosty Hondo? :thinking: ]]

whoever it was I remember a big thread about them and Spiders as pet

sinfan75
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I got bit on the butt by one of them suckers. It was like gettin a shot of penicillan. Ain't left clothes on the floor since.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I got bit on the butt by one of them suckers. It was like gettin a shot of penicillan. Ain't left clothes on the floor since.

:doh: :doh: That just made me stand up.

Ranger Mom
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75

Well...I wasn't gonna mention this, but since you told that, I feel comfortable!! :D

When I was 18 I was putting my makeup on and noticed a scorpion crawling up my shirt...instead of just knocking it off, I pulled my shirt off, inside out, over my head and started shaking my shirt....I'll be darned if in the process I didn't drop the thing down my bra, where it proceeded to sting me!!:eek:

I took off like a shot screaming for my dad. He came running and I told him that I got stung, he asked "where?"....so I showed him!! I have never seen a man hide is face is so fast in my life!!!:D

BobcatBenny
05-28-2008, 10:31 AM
. . . Must you ALWAYS have a "retort"??:mad: :mad:
Whoa! I didn't realize there was going to be dessert! :)

What flavor of retort do we have?

There is always one! ;)