PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Fires baseball Coach...

Astrosdawg07
05-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Bridge City Ousts Baseball Coach After Second Consecutive Playoff Loss To Jasper

05/25/08
by Steve W Stewart
Respond to this story
Email this story to a friend

Billy Bryant is no longer the head baseball coach at Bridge City High School following two consecutive losses to Jasper in the state playoffs. Bryant's 5 year tenure at Bridge City ended on Friday, in that time he posted a 151-32 record.

Bridge City School Board Superintendent Dr. Jamey Harrison said on Friday that the baseball coaching position is open at Bridge City and they are currently accepting applications.

Harrison also said anything concerning Billy Bryant is a personal matter and should be kept confidential.

Bridge City Baseball Coach Ousted... (http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=904973&CategoryID=18335&on=1)

JasperDog94
05-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah. The guy was 151-32. What a loser.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I hope this is not just about losing to Jasper. I thought coaching what about teaching kids.

Trashman
05-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Bridge City Baseball Coach Ousted... (http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=904973&CategoryID=18335&on=1)

It's always about winning, until you can't beat a hated rival and then it's a personel matter. Way to go Supt. you will have them lining up to Coach for you. What a looser.:hand:

c-town_balla
05-26-2008, 03:20 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen

what do you want nothing but state championships? State Tournament, Regional Final, Regional Quaterfinal......talk about a terrible three year run :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Antec
05-26-2008, 03:23 PM
This is a rare action for a head baseball coach, especially in high school

SteelerCzy
05-26-2008, 04:06 PM
I had the pleasure of playing with Billy in High School and got to watch him through the years take programs and make them better, i.e. Buna in the 90's and BC in the last couple of years, it's just a shame small town politics will be responsible for forcing out a very good Baseball Coach. Billy will land on his feet and some school will be the benefit of BC's error.

etbu
05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
From what I hear he is interviewing with two five a schools. Good luck Bryant.

zebrablue2
05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by SteelerCzy
I had the pleasure of playing with Billy in High School and got to watch him through the years take programs and make them better, i.e. Buna in the 90's and BC in the last couple of years, it's just a shame small town politics will be responsible for forcing out a very good Baseball Coach. Billy will land on his feet and some school will be the benefit of BC's error.

I always say everything happens for a reason. Based on his record with that school, he will find a good job, provided he has a good attitude. Best wishes to him..

themsu97
05-27-2008, 06:52 AM
someone will take this job... I do not know why... but someone will... pretty impressive and shame on Bridge City

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Bryant to be reassigned

Gabriel Pruett
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — The rumors turned into facts Friday as Billy Bryant was informed he would be reassigned at Bridge City High School, ending a stellar baseball coaching career at his alma mater.

Bryant was 151-32 with the Cardinals, leading Bridge City to back-to-back state tournaments in 2005 and 2006.

“Coach Bryant has been reassigned,” Dr. Jamey Harrison, Bridge City ISD superintendent, said. “He will not be the baseball coach at Bridge City High School next year. His reassignment has nothing to do with wins or losses, or how the team did in the playoffs. I like Billy and I wish him well.”

Because the district has a policy of not discussing personnel matters, Harrison was not able to go into detail. It is unknown at this time what Bryant’s new responsibilities will be for the school district.

Bryant has spent five years at Bridge City, winning four district titles along the way.

The Cardinals finished this past season 26-7 and won the District 21-3A title with a 13-1 mark before losing in the regional quarterfinals to defending state champion Jasper.

Jasper was also to blame for last year’s exit in the playoffs as the Bulldogs knocked out the Cardinals in the regional finals.

Jeff Stringer, who pitched for Bryant last season, was stunned after hearing about his former coach.

“It’s unbelievable,” Stringer said. “I’m really at a loss for words. I’m shocked because I really didn’t expect this. There were moments we didn’t get along but he always made you laugh and he understood the game.

“You really enjoyed the moments you had with him. There were some back-and-forths with Coach Bryant but he is just one of those people you enjoy talking to.”

Orangefield Coach Jeff Bennett has coached against Bryant the last two seasons and knows all too well how difficult playing against the Cardinals can be.

“When you played against Bridge City, you knew you were going up against a quality program,” Bennett said. “The tradition in Bridge City has always been there and Billy did a good job to uphold it. You knew no matter what when you play Bridge City you were in for a dogfight.

“Coach Bryant is a good coach who knows the game. It is unfortunate the way the circumstances fell the way they did. He will end up somewhere and do a good job for that program.”

Bridge City Athletics Director Cris Stump said the athletics program will open the position up and search for a new coach.

“We’ll post the job and see what happens,” Stump said. “It is just like any other position which needs to be filled. We are going to do what is best for our kids and our athletics program.”

Bryant, the brother of Tampa Bay placeicker Matt Bryant, was not available for comment Friday evening, after the official word of his reassignment was made public.

Tommy Mann Jr. contributed to this story.

Orange Leader link (http://www.orangeleader.com/hssports/local_story_144201311.html)

3ABirdMan
05-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Yeah. The guy was 151-32. What a loser.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I hope this is not just about losing to Jasper. I thought coaching what about teaching kids.

It IS about teaching kids, and WHAT you teach them, and HOW you teach them. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BASEBALL!

Without going into details, it has nothing to do with W - L records, PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the performance (or lack of, at times) of the baseball team. This is a decision based on things OFF THE FIELD.

Please don't criticize an Administration for the decisions thay have made when you DO NOT know all of the details. I'm NOT saying I have ALL of the details, but I know enough of them to know this IS the best thing for our student body, and our baseball program will continue to compete, and in MY opinion, AT A HIGHER LEVEL!

FbCoachB40
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Those who knew the guy and coached against him understand that he TRULY KNOWS the game; However, he is a different cat. I am trying to be respectful, but he is very stand-offish (if that is a word). If he treated the administration the way he treated other coaches then it was only a matter of time

j_dog
05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
All good points. And any coach, or employee for that matter, needs to remember that the boss may not always be right, but he is always the boss.

Even General McArthur got fired when he forgot that fact.

JasperDog94
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
It IS about teaching kids, and WHAT you teach them, and HOW you teach them. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BASEBALL!

Without going into details, it has nothing to do with W - L records, PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the performance (or lack of, at times) of the baseball team. This is a decision based on things OFF THE FIELD.

Please don't criticize an Administration for the decisions thay have made when you DO NOT know all of the details. I'm NOT saying I have ALL of the details, but I know enough of them to know this IS the best thing for our student body, and our baseball program will continue to compete, and in MY opinion, AT A HIGHER LEVEL! Points well taken. Thanks Birdman. I meant no disrespect.:)

3ABirdMan
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Points well taken. Thanks Birdman. I meant no disrespect.:)

No disrespect taken. But there a lot of posters, on a lot of different boards, that think BC is making a BIG mistake because we have had a successful baseball program (W/L %) under him. Truth be told, I think I could have coached them and won with the talent we have had, and as a Jasper follower, I expect you recognize that as well (and the fact that I am NOT a baseball coach lol).

I will be bold enough to say this - If BC would have had Mixon for the past 4 years, there would be TWO State trophies in Bridge City, instead of NONE! I follow HS softball, and cross over to the baseball field to watch when I can, and I recognize the game plans that Mixon has used on us to give his (your) team the advantage they needed to win. I respect that in a coach - to plan for your oponent, and adjust the game to YOUR advantage. We have NOT had that. Jasper beat us 2 weeks ago the same way TLE beat us in Round Rock 2 years ago......

But I digress. The point to all of this is - The man knows "baseball", but doesn't know "people", and definetely doesn't know "kids".

kaorder1999
05-27-2008, 01:07 PM
No disrespect taken. But there a lot of posters, on a lot of different boards, that think BC is making a BIG mistake because we have had a successful baseball program (W/L %) under him. Truth be told, I think I could have coached them and won with the talent we have had, and as a Jasper follower, I expect you recognize that as well (and the fact that I am NOT a baseball coach lol).

I will be bold enough to say this - If BC would have had Mixon for the past 4 years, there would be TWO State trophies in Bridge City, instead of NONE! I follow HS softball, and cross over to the baseball field to watch when I can, and I recognize the game plans that Mixon has used on us to give his (your) team the advantage they needed to win. I respect that in a coach - to plan for your oponent, and adjust the game to YOUR advantage. We have NOT had that. Jasper beat us 2 weeks ago the same way TLE beat us in Round Rock 2 years ago......

But I digress. The point to all of this is - The man knows "baseball", but doesn't know "people", and definetely doesn't know "kids".

Why would you continue to make the point that with someone else in there yall woul dhave won state championships but then later go on to say he knows baseball. Im confused...

JasperDog94
05-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Why would you continue to make the point that with someone else in there yall woul dhave won state championships but then later go on to say he knows baseball. Im confused... Maybe he knows baseball but doesn't know how to work well with people? I know several computer guys that know computers very well, but they have no social skills.

kaorder1999
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Maybe he knows baseball but doesn't know how to work well with people? I know several computer guys that know computers very well, but they have no social skills.

I got that part...but he was talking about game plans...

Astrosdawg07
05-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I got that part...but he was talking about game plans...

But in order to execute those plans you have to be able to get your players to buy into the system and execute it properly.

kaorder1999
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I just hate the fact that a man is being talked about on a message board without a chance for him to defend himself. He isnt a professional athlete being paid millions....He's a high school coach.

What if I hear that you were to lose your job and I went on this message board telling everyone why I think the firing is justified....just doesnt seem right to me.

Astrosdawg07
05-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I just hate the fact that a man is being talked about on a message board without a chance for him to defend himself. He isnt a professional athlete being paid millions....He's a high school coach.

What if I hear that you were to lose your job and I went on this message board telling everyone why I think the firing is justified....just doesnt seem right to me.

I'm not saying whether it was justified or not, I'm just explaining how you can know baseball but have horrible people skills and not be successful. This was a very shocking move to me...

3ABirdMan
05-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Why would you continue to make the point that with someone else in there yall woul dhave won state championships but then later go on to say he knows baseball. Im confused...

Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
But in order to execute those plans you have to be able to get your players to buy into the system and execute it properly.

He told the Varsity players about this BEFORE District was over, in fact, that is how it became public knowledge, by players telling parents. It has been discussed for weeks, but had not been made public before now. So for BC fans - it's old news. For everyone else, it's a fresh story.

And - My original point was - People from BC have a better understanding of the situation than posters from all across the state. My intention was to add information to the thread to help those who "just don't get it" understand why someone with the record he has amassed is being reassigned, not to bash a coach who can't defend himself. And rest assured - I have posted nothing on here that I wouldn't tell the man face to face, so I'm not trying to hide behind a screen name and bash someone.........

LH Panther Mom
05-27-2008, 06:53 PM
IMO, what 3aBirdman posted needed to be said in order to set the record straight.

Moving on now... :cool: