PDA

View Full Version : Roofing Company takes shingles off wrong house....DOH!

kaorder1999
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Roofing company takes shingles off wrong house

11:26 AM CDT on Thursday, May 22, 2008

By SHELLY SLATER / WFAA-TV

LEWISVILLE — A roofing company pulled the shingles off a Lewisville home Wednesday. The catch? It was the wrong house.

It’s all in the address. A crew from Bold Roofing was supposed to work on a house on the street with "1248" in its address; instead, they went to "1208," a difference of just one number.

Now Margaret Malin doesn't have a roof over her head, and she's upset.

"It's not this kind of a mistake," she said, making a tiny sign with her fingers, "it's this kind of a mistake," opening her arms wide.

While Malin concedes that she has been shopping around for a new roof, Malin said she never gave Bold Roofing the go-ahead to even be on her property.

“Our name is not on any piece of paper — anywhere,” Malin said, adding that the resident of the 1248 address had been expecting the roofing crew.

Bold Roofing owner Robert Bold said he's trying to make it right for Malin with discounts and upgrades, but won’t give her free roof.

Bold said this has only happened once before, 18 years ago. He said that he did correct that mistake, and hopes to do the same in this case.

“We’ve tried to work with her, but, as you can see, she’s unworkable,” Bold said.

Malin has received insurance money to pay for her new roof, but she questions why her insurance money should pay for Bold Roofing’s mistake. That's why she has a new roofing company coming out to her house on Thursday to try and put her roof back together.

E-mail sslater@wfaa.com

kaorder1999
05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/wfaa/05-08/0522_roof390.jpg

Phil C
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
That's bad publicity for Bold Roofing Co. They owed her a new roof.

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That's bad publicity for Bold Roofing Co. They owed her a new roof.

Wait Phil, let's think this through. Part of the cost of roofing a house is removing the old shingles. She has already received payment for a new roof from the insurance company so the old roof was evidently beyond repair and actually needed and was scheduled to be replaced. They owe her an old, damaged roof at the worst.

Putting on a new roof should be cheaper (Bold has already offered a discount). She gets a new roof, keeps the difference for her trouble, and can feel assured she got a good deal. She also needs a new roof now, and I think Bold would be pretty willing to place her at the top of their list.

So where has she lost anything?

Txbroadcaster
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Wait Phil, let's think this through. Part of the cost of roofing a house is removing the old shingles. She has already received payment for a new roof from the insurance company so the old roof was evidently beyond repair and actually needed and was scheduled to be replaced. They owe her an old, damaged roof at the worst.

Putting on a new roof should be cheaper (Bold has already offered a discount). She gets a new roof, keeps the difference for her trouble, and can feel assured she got a good deal. She also needs a new roof now, and I think Bold would be pretty willing to place her at the top of their list.

So where has she lost anything?

The fact she had not yet 100% decided on a new roof, they did it without asking, then have the nerve to act like she is being unreasonable

Sorry, but they messed up and should correct it free of charge..does not matter that she was looking to get a new roof, they were in the wrong

eppy 12
05-22-2008, 12:17 PM
bold is liable, attention to detail on address and not verifying work with homeowner.:p

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The fact she had not yet 100% decided on a new roof, they did it without asking, then have the nerve to act like she is being unreasonable

Sorry, but they messed up and should correct it free of charge..does not matter that she was looking to get a new roof, they were in the wrong

IMO this is just another example of our litigious society. She gets a new roof, makes $ on the deal and she still wants more. I don't get it. The roofing company offered to fix the problem at a reasonable price, she said no. End of liability.

If this goes to court in Texas, I can actually see her losing at least her attorney's fee.

Just my opinion, but I would not give her another dime if I were on the jury. Don't be greedy.

Txbroadcaster
05-22-2008, 12:24 PM
IMO this is just another example of our litigious society. She gets a new roof, makes $ on the deal and she still wants more. I don't get it. The roofing company offered to fix the problem at a reasonable price, she said no. End of liability.

If this goes to court in Texas, I can actually see her losing at least her attorney's fee.

Just my opinion, but I would not give her another dime if I were on the jury. Don't be greedy.

How is she being greedy? She did not ask foir their services, they took her roof off in a mistake..Not sure where the greed is coming from, they messed up, yet want to charge her to fix the mistake, sorry I have a big problem with that

kaorder1999
05-22-2008, 12:26 PM
yes, they should do it for free. They screwed up. Ive been watning a new driveway for a while but if I were to go home and my driveway was completely broken up by a concrete place because they had the wrong address I sure as heck wouldn't be paying for the new driveway!

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
How is she being greedy? She did not ask foir their services, they took her roof off in a mistake..Not sure where the greed is coming from, they messed up, yet want to charge her to fix the mistake, sorry I have a big problem with that

She is being greedy because she wants to keep the money AND get a free roof. Yes, Bold screwed up, but should she be compensated with all the money as well as a free roof? My thought is no. Maybe the problem is that Bold didn't offer enough of a discount to satisfy her.

If this were my own house, you can be assured I would take the deal, assuming that what Bold offered was fair. I don't know what their offer was compared to what the insurance company paid her, so I can't opine on just how fair the offer was. If she comes out a few thousand ahead, she got a great deal and a new roof.

And lastly, she gets a roof now, not later.

Gsquared
05-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
yes, they should do it for free. They screwed up. Ive been watning a new driveway for a while but if I were to go home and my driveway was completely broken up by a concrete place because they had the wrong address I sure as heck wouldn't be paying for the new driveway!
Ill work on the driveway for you Saturday night, dont you worry buddy!

Txbroadcaster
05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
She is being greedy because she wants to keep the money AND get a free roof. Yes, Bold screwed up, but should she be compensated with all the money as well as a free roof? My thought is no. Maybe the problem is that Bold didn't offer enough of a discount to satisfy her.

If this were my own house, you can be assured I would take the deal, assuming that what Bold offered was fair. I don't know what their offer was compared to what the insurance company paid her, so I can't opine on just how fair the offer was. If she comes out a few thousand ahead, she got a great deal and a new roof.

And lastly, she gets a roof now, not later.

IMO this has nothing to do with insurance and how much she got..also how will that effect her insurance rates

Either way Bold messed up and now want to charge her to fix their screw-up, that is wrong

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:36 PM

I recently had new countertops installed in my kitchen. When the company arrived with the new tops, they removed the old ones, then discovered they had mismeasured. I had to wait 3 weeks, with no countertops and no sink until they could get it corrected.

Should I have received all the work for free? I don't think so. I settled for a 10% discount and was reasonably happy to get it. Would I use that company again or recommend them to someone else? Heck no.

Txbroadcaster
05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I recently had new countertops installed in my kitchen. When the company arrived with the new tops, they removed the old ones, then discovered they had mismeasured. I had to wait 3 weeks, with no countertops and no sink until they could get it corrected.

Should I have received all the work for free? I don't think so. I settled for a 10% discount and was reasonably happy to get it. Would I use that company again or recommend them to someone else? Heck no.

BIG BIG difference..you had hired them to do the work..she had not hired this company

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
BIG BIG difference..you had hired them to do the work..she had not hired this company

I didn't hire them to leave me without countertops and a sink for 3 weeks.

kepdawg
05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I didn't hire them to leave me without countertops and a sink for 3 weeks.

Then you shouldn't have "settled" for only a 10% discount!

Black_Magic
05-22-2008, 12:43 PM

And lastly, she gets a roof now, not later. WOW! Greed is Bad?!?!

I think The roofing company should replace her roof. they screwed up and acted W/O permission. Maybe she wanted to give the business to another roofing company? She has that right. The word Fair in this situation is kinda strange. If my car needs a new transmission but still gets me around, It would be wrong for a garage to tow my car by mistake , replace my transmission, then as a solution to thier screw up to offer me a discount on something I never agreed to buy.

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Then you shouldn't have "settled" for only a 10% discount!

Since they immediately said yes, you may be correct. I don't think a free job would have been fair either. Maybe I'm naive, but I try to see their side if they are reasonable. If not, I get mad!

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
WOW! Greed is Bad?!?!

I think The roofing company should replace her roof. they screwed up and acted W/O permission. Maybe she wanted to give the business to another roofing company? She has that right. The word Fair in this situation is kinda strange. If my car needs a new transmission but still gets me around, It would be wrong for a garage to tow my car by mistake , replace my transmission, then as a solution to thier screw up to offer me a discount on something I never agreed to buy.

You guys are in BIG TROUBLE when BM starts agreeing with you.
;)

Txbroadcaster
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Since they immediately said yes, you may be correct. I don't think a free job would have been fair either. Maybe I'm naive, but I try to see their side if they are reasonable. If not, I get mad!

in your case their side might be reasonable..but in this case what is reasonable about a company mistakingly doing thisd, then wanting money to fix it?

kaorder1999
05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
that company could make a good living on doing that to other people and expecting them to pay.....

kepdawg
05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
that company could make a good living on doing that to other people and expecting them to pay.....

Yeah, I've got a buddy looking to make some extra money this summer. I guess he could just go around jacking up people's property and then charging them to fix it!

Black_Magic
05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Yeah, I've got a buddy looking to make some extra money this summer. I guess he could just go around jacking up people's property and then charging them to fix it! :clap: :clap: :clap: Sorry maam.. I seemed to have driven My truck through your living room.... Dont worry Il fix it for a discount just to make things right. :thumbsup:

kaorder1999
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Ill work on the driveway for you Saturday night, dont you worry buddy!

dont offer!! I'll hold you to it! haha

Rocket Dad
05-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Call the police ! Trespassing on private property and stealing someone's roof shingles is a crime. Bold roofing should pay a fine and put a new roof on the house. -- FREE of charge

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Free roof at full replacement costs - if they go to court. She is greedy, but I believe the civil law here would lean toward a damage caused by the roofing company and that they would be financially responsible for fixing her roof since they damaged it irrespective of any other evidence.

kaorder1999
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Free roof at full replacement costs - if they go to court. She is greedy, but I believe the civil law here would lean toward a damage caused by the roofing company and that they would be financially responsible for fixing her roof since they damaged it irrespective of any other evidence.
and what if it rains between now and then? What if there is water damage. That company should just throw a new roof on there ASAP

crabman
05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
No you don't get a free roof at full replacement cost if you go to court. Know the lien laws. They are screwy.

As hard as it is to believe, in Texas, if a roofer comes to your house and accidentally puts a roof on your house and is not trying to defraud you, and sends you a reasonable bill, you are liable for that debt. If you don't pay it he can file a valid lien that would need to be discharged should you ever sell your house or get a second mortgage. If you refused to do it, he would own your house. Lien laws are very powerful in their protection of contractors. I am not saying it is right but that is the way it is. The thing to remember is it cannot be done with fraudulent intent.

rockdale80
05-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by crabman
No you don't get a free roof at full replacement cost if you go to court. Know the lien laws. They are screwy.

As hard as it is to believe, in Texas, if a roofer comes to your house and accidentally puts a roof on your house and is not trying to defraud you, and sends you a reasonable bill, you are liable for that debt. If you don't pay it he can file a valid lien that would need to be discharged should you ever sell your house or get a second mortgage. If you refused to do it, he would own your house. Lien laws are very powerful in their protection of contractors. I am not saying it is right but that is the way it is. The thing to remember is it cannot be done with fraudulent intent.

Agreed, but here was never a contract, so there is not a contractor. They trespassed and damaged her property. A contractor is someone hired to complete a service. Obviously this company was not hired to complete this work. She should call the police and file a report with them before proceeding. Then take them to court and get her a free roof as well as the replacement of any items damaged because of the vandalism. This is just bad business practice for this company to refuse replacement.

Ranger Mom
05-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I think she should get her roof replaced for free too!!

I have the insurance money for my roof too....it is no where NEAR what it's going to cost for an entire new roof!

If someone tore my roof off right now and expected me to replace it because of THEIR screwup, I wouldn't even be able to afford to....and then to have to worry about them putting a lien on my house because THEY are incompetent.....that is CRAZINESS!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by crabman

Your right if she agrered to servuce, as rockdale said then the roofer becomes the contracter, but if he randomly puts a roof on someones house the homeowner is not liable, I have actuallt seen this before and the courts ruled in favor of homeowner

rockdale80
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Your right if she agrered to servuce, as rockdale said then the roofer becomes the contracter, but if he randomly puts a roof on someones house the homeowner is not liable, I have actuallt seen this before and the courts ruled in favor of homeowner

But Crabman is correct with the lien laws being weird. We deal with them daily. In this scenario, the owner of the home would prevail. Its not greedy either. Why should anyone have to pay for the roofing companies negligence?

Ranger Mom
05-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
But Crabman is correct with the lien laws being weird. We deal with them daily. In this scenario, the owner of the home would prevail. Its not greedy either. Why should anyone have to pay for the roofing companies negligence?

Maybe they already KNEW she had an insurance check!!:thinking: :thinking:

DaHop72
05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Maybe they already KNEW she had an insurance check!!:thinking: :thinking: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ronwx5x
05-22-2008, 03:44 PM

They made a movie about this, "Conspiracy Theory".:thinking:

rockdale80
05-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Erroneous. That does not change the fact that the roofing company defaced her property. Technically this is vandalism. I would file a police report, then use it as evidence in my law suit. If the business owner was smart he would repair the roof and make her sign an indemnity form to protect himself from any further action. Unfortunately I deal with these things all the time with the line of work I am in. If I were her I would not have filed a claim on her property with her insurance. The business owner should have filed a claim with his E&O insurance and fixed her roof for free.