PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits . . . Brownwood Football

BobcatBenny
05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I thought this article provided some interesting insights into some of the Brownwood football talent. Talent that you Region I teams might be up against this next season.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/may/17/low-down-on-texan-he-likes-ut/

nobogey72
05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I thought this article provided some interesting insights into some of the Brownwood football talent. Talent that you Region I teams might be up against this next season.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/may/17/low-down-on-texan-he-likes-ut/

:blahblah: :sleeping: :1popcorn:

You know the old saying:

The bigger they are...............

The harder they are to block.:doh: :eek: :eek:

Old Tiger
05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
:blahblah: :sleeping: :1popcorn:

You know the old saying:

The bigger they are...............

The harder they are to block.:doh: :eek: :eek: Them little guys from LH were tough to block for the HUGE Gilmer line. :D

waterboy
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Them little guys from LH were tough to block for the HUGE Gilmer line. :D
:doh: Block?? :doh: So that's why LH won. Easier said than done, though.

DU_stud04
05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Them little guys from LH were tough to block for the HUGE Gilmer line. :D id rather block a big strong guy than a smaller speedy guy any day.... those little guys put in some work!

lostaussie
05-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
id rather block a big strong guy than a smaller speedy guy any day.... those little guys put in some work! yep...............see nineteen hundred and eighty one gilmer buckeye film in semi finals against Wylie High (now 5A). Our defensive lineman, small and quick, killed their o-line all day. we won 16-14 but had no buisness winning that game. I have said on many occasions that Wylie was the best team we played all year and they would have killed Cameron..............but the best team don't always win and Cameron ended up with the title.

LionKing
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Stavion is big, but slow he is not, his upside is tremendous, still pretty raw in talent, but as with most D1 offensive lineman, a redshirt is needed and lots of work and conditioning to play at that level.

LH Panther Mom
05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
id rather block a big strong guy than a smaller speedy guy any day.... those little guys put in some work!
I kind of like the small, speedy, really strong guys, myself. :p

lostaussie
05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Them little guys from LH were tough to block for the HUGE Gilmer line. :D yes, yes they were..........they were awesome...............its a shame that Rockdale cannot get a chance to play in a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game. Maybe they have at some point in their history, I don't know. But, I do know we have been there 3 times and I hold no ill feelings for loseing twice. The ride is a great journey..............maybe you get the chance to feel that one day GO BLUE. every one of your posts makes me ill.

BILLYFRED0000
05-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
yes, yes they were..........they were awesome...............its a shame that Rockdale cannot get a chance to play in a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game. Maybe they have at some point in their history, I don't know. But, I do know we have been there 3 times and I hold no ill feelings for loseing twice. The ride is a great journey..............maybe you get the chance to feel that one day GO BLUE. every one of your posts makes me ill.

Aint that de truth..... Just getting there is fantastic. You do not get there in Texas without being one heck of a good team.

Bout small speedy guys. Breck Holman.... All state defensive end
Celina
5' 4" 177. Too bad he graduates this year. I will miss that guy.
All Motor and heart. Nobody could stop him.

nobogey72
05-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Aint that de truth..... Just getting there is fantastic. You do not get there in Texas without being one heck of a good team.

Celina

:iagree: :2thumbsup

Saw him play at shotwell against Snyder. Unblockable!!!! Wylie had a noseguard back in the 2000 season (got beat in the finals to Gatesville) that was 5'6 and weighed about 185, but could bench 375 or so. He was so quick. He used to look at the opponents center and guards on the scouting report and say that the bigger they were, the better game he would have. Aledo had a center that was a 4star rivals kid already D1 committed and little Bobby McMillan absolutely wore him out all night long. But, the little dude from Celina was definitely fun to watch.

STANG RED
05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Sweetwaters only state champ team was back in the 4A days. And they were outsized and outmanned to just about everyone, especially in the playoffs. But they were all very stong and very quick. The starting quick side LB was 5'2" and weighed 125. But he was also the state powerlifting champion for that weight devision for 2 or 3 years in a row, and he was quick as greased lightning. He hit and drove people like he weighed 250. Of course Art Briles was the strength and conditioning coach in Sweetwater back then. Sweetwater won 2 or 3 power lifting state championships under Briles during the 4 or 5 years he was there. No wonder he went on to have great success at every stop after that.

Buckeye1980
06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Correction LostAussie....beat Wylie in Regional finals and beat Kermit 28-0 in Semis

Originally posted by lostaussie
yep...............see nineteen hundred and eighty one gilmer buckeye film in semi finals against Wylie High (now 5A). Our defensive lineman, small and quick, killed their o-line all day. we won 16-14 but had no buisness winning that game. I have said on many occasions that Wylie was the best team we played all year and they would have killed Cameron..............but the best team don't always win and Cameron ended up with the title.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000

Celina

Didn't Celina have a really small DT back in '99? Like 5'3,-5'5 and was on the MTV true life about Texas football? He was apparently a BA but got hurt the first play of the state championship.